Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
‘A get out of jail free card’: GOP bill would eliminate age requirements for marriage
(04-26-2022, 04:29 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Is there somewhere in this proposed bill that over-rides the current state legal limits on marriage?
Or was it just written with the basic assumption that it would follow those current limits?

Yes.
No. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 05:34 AM)GreenDragon Wrote: Yes.
No. 

can you list where in the bill is said it overrides current State legal age limits.
I'd be interested to see that before jumping to conclusions
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My mother was 15 when she married my dad. And for the record, I most certainly do not think that was ok. But I wouldn't be here otherwise, so what can I do?

That said, there's no way in hell I would have let my girls get married that young.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 01:23 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: can you list where in the bill is said it overrides current State legal age limits.
I'd be interested to see that before jumping to conclusions

Read it.

Perma | http://www.capitol.tn.gov
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 06:26 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: Read it.

Perma | http://www.capitol.tn.gov

I have, and it says: "One Man and One Woman", not Male/Female, Child or adolescent or anything referring to anything other than an Adult Male/Female... 

Since it was originally written, It's even been amended now to appease the "no age limit" criers, so what's the issue now?
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 09:06 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I have, and it says: "One Man and One Woman", not Male/Female, Child or adolescent or anything referring to anything other than an Adult Male/Female... 

Since it was originally written, It's even been amended now to appease the "no age limit" criers, so what's the issue now?

Yeah. The ORIGINAL, as they intended, had no age limit. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 05:51 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: Yeah. The ORIGINAL, as they intended, had no age limit. 

I read it and didn't see anywhere where it over rode the current state legal limits?
Reply/Quote
The Wyoming gop is pulling the same stunt...so as to not infringe on anyone's "constitutional rights".   Mellow

[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 03:52 PM)GMDino Wrote: The Wyoming gop is pulling the same stunt...so as to not infringe on anyone's "constitutional rights".   Mellow

That's how I see it. 

Just more government regulation interfering with our freedom.

Like drivers licenses, and limits on highway speed and drinking. 
Reply/Quote
Families should decide when it is appropriate to get married. I'd be surprised a responsible parent would let their child get married too young. I know a couple that married in high school and they are still together after 50 years. Some people can handle getting married at 16. Not for me though.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 05:56 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Families should decide when it is appropriate to get married. I'd be surprised a responsible parent would let their child get married too young. I know a couple that married in high school and they are still together after 50 years. Some people can handle getting married at 16. Not for me though.

So if a father decides to marry off his daughter at 13 to a 30 year old that's fine because the "family" decides?

I can't say I support that since it puts the child in that position with no say and at an age where they can't enter into any kind of contract.

And remember there is no lower limit on the age.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 10:04 AM)GMDino Wrote: So if a father decides to marry off his daughter at 13 to a 30 year old that's fine because the "family" decides?

I can't say I support that since it puts the child in that position with no say and at an age where they can't enter into any kind of contract.

And remember there is no lower limit on the age.

What decent father would do that? You keep using the rare exceptions to make your point. The child would have some say in this case and it would not be the sole decision of the father hopefully. I guess your parents were dysfunctional to even make this point.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 10:25 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: What decent father would do that? You keep using the rare exceptions to make your point. The child would have some say in this case and it would not be the sole decision of the father hopefully. I guess your parents were dysfunctional to even make this point.

One that believes his religion says it is ok.  

The child would have no say.  That's just the way it is.  The Wyoming GOP says its a "constitutional right" to not have a legal lower limit.

I had a wonderful childhood with two loving parents who would NOT have done such a thing.  But they aren't right wing loonies either, so there's that.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote