Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
‘Bring back our #ChildHoodDiseases,’ White House official’s wife says
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2019/02/14/bring-back-our-childhooddiseases-white-house-communications-directors-wife-criticizes-vaccines/?__twitter_impression=true&noredirect=on&utm_term=.86cf08f249a9

Quote:Darla Shine, the outspoken wife of White House communications director Bill Shine, has been tweeting about childhood diseases, claiming that illnesses such as measles, mumps and chickenpox “keep you healthy & fight cancer.” Health experts warn that the claim is not true and adds to misinformation that could cause harm.

Darla Shine, who has been known to tweet out stories with anti-vaccination claims, wrote Wednesday on Twitter that “The entire Baby Boom population alive today had the #Measles as kids."

She added: “I had the #Measles #Mumps #ChickenPox as a child and so did every kid I knew — Sadly my kids had #MMR so they will never have the life long natural immunity I have. Come breathe on me!”

Shine’s Twitter account has not been verified, but it notes that she is the wife of Bill Shine, “assistant to #POTUS.” The White House declined to comment about the tweets.
Quote:[Image: H7ph031P_normal.jpg]
[/url]Darla Shine@DarlaShine

Here we go LOL #measlesoutbreak on #CNN #Fake #Hysteria

The entire Baby Boom population alive today had the #Measles as kids
Bring back our #ChildhoodDiseases they keep you healthy & fight cancer

8:43 AM - Feb 13, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Quote:[Image: H7ph031P_normal.jpg]
Darla Shine@DarlaShine

I had the #Measles #Mumps #ChickenPox as a child and so did every kid I knew - Sadly my kids had #MMR so they will never have the life long natural immunity I have.

Come breathe on me!

8:44 AM - Feb 13, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Shine’s tweets made the rounds as a grim report emerged from Madagascar: More than 900 children and young adults have died from measles over the past four months, Reuters reported.

The numbers came from the World Health Organization, which said Thursday that measles cases around the world almost doubled between 2017 and 2018 “amid rising severe and protracted outbreaks all over the planet, in poor and rich countries alike.”

In its announcement, WHO also addressed the myth that the measles vaccine has been linked to autism.

Katherine O’Brien, director of immunization, vaccines and biologicals at WHO, said in the bulletin that the myth, which stems from a study based on “erroneous data,” has been debunked.

[‘It will take off like a wildfire’: The unique dangers of the Washington state measles outbreak]

Len Lichtenfeld, interim medical director of the American Cancer Society, told The Washington Post on Thursday there is no evidence that contracting measles makes a person healthier later in life or helps prevent cancer.

In addition, Lichtenfeld said, “It’s easy to forget the disease burden that came with measles when we were young.

“It is a real illness with real consequences,” he said. “Fortunately, for most people, those consequences were not serious, but it is an infection, and it can cause life-threatening events. It can cause pneumonia, and it can cause meningitis. Fortunately, those complications are rare but do occur — and children did die as a result of measles infections.

“I think over time, it becomes part of our past, and it tends to become less relevant and less important as we move along in time, and we forget how serious a problem it was for those who grew up in that generation.”
Researchers are increasingly concerned about a potentially deadly neurological disorder that can develop as a delayed complication of measles after the virus has been dormant in people’s bodies for numerous years.

[Unvaccinated teens are fact-checking their parents — and trying to get shots on their own]
Measles is highly contagious.

Before the introduction of the measles vaccine in 1963, most children did contract the illness — an estimated 3 million to 4 million patients each year in the United States, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Of those, 48,000 were hospitalized, 400 to 500 died and 1,000 others suffered from a severe complication known as encephalitis, a condition in which the brain swells because of an infection.

In 2000 — almost four decades after parents began vaccinating their children — measles was declared eliminated in the United States.
CDC data shows that from 2000 to 2018, there was an average of 140 measles cases per year in the United States. And there were three reported fatalities during that time — one in 2002, one in 2003 and one in 2015.

But there have been numerous outbreaks in recent years, amid an anti-vaccine movement that has been sustained, in part, by fraudulent research from 1998 that purported to show a link between a preservative used in vaccines and autism. In the measles outbreak in the Pacific Northwest, where anti-vaccine groups have long been active, nearly 60 cases have been reported in Washington and Oregon.

Numerous studies have provided conclusive evidence that vaccinations do not cause autism.

WHO recently named “vaccine hesitancy” as one of the “Ten threats to global health in 2019”:
Quote:The reasons why people choose not to vaccinate are complex; a vaccines advisory group to WHO identified complacency, inconvenience in accessing vaccines, and lack of confidence are key reasons underlying hesitancy. Health workers, especially those in communities, remain the most trusted advisor and influencer of vaccination decisions, and they must be supported to provide trusted, credible information on vaccines.
Amid backlash, Shine said on Twitter on Wednesday that she’s “Not sure why what I tweet is so interesting, I’m not a politician, I have no influence.”

Shine shared a CNN article about how doctors at the Mayo Clinic had given a cancer patient “a highly concentrated, lab-engineered measles virus similar to the measles vaccine,” and then the patient went into remission.

Lichtenfeld, with the American Cancer Society, said that the measles virus alone is not being used to treat cancer but, rather, a version that has been manipulated to specifically invade certain cancer cells.

“It’s far different in any way, shape or form from giving patients an illness in order to try to treat a cancer,” he said. “That is simply not what we do.

“Measles doesn’t protect us from cancer. Chickenpox doesn’t protect us from cancer,” Lichtenfeld added. “These are diseases that kill. These are diseases that used to affect millions upon millions of people, and it’s very easy to forget the lives that were lost or the lives that were impacted significantly as a result of the measles epidemic, because we tend for forget. We didn’t live through or we don’t remember it, or we weren’t aware of it. Let me assure you, it was a very serious disease, and we don’t need to see it come back.”
Read more:

A global wave of measles cases fed by conspiracies and misinformation has health officials worried
The unique dangers of the Washington state measles outbreak
[url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/it-will-take-off-like-a-wildfire-the-unique-dangers-of-the-washington-state-measles-outbreak/2019/02/06/cfd5088a-28fa-11e9-b011-d8500644dc98_story.html?utm_term=.2a316842b4bc]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Measles preventing Cancer seems a bit idiotic, and I don't think we need to bring it back, but I will say I do believe we as a society have gone too far in creating sterile environments for children.

Need to find the proper balance between clean enough to not cause serious sickness, and unclean enough to still build a strong immune system.

Peanut allergies are getting absurd, and it seems like gluten allergies came out of nowhere too.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(02-18-2019, 12:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Measles preventing Cancer seems a bit idiotic, and I don't think we need to bring it back, but I will say I do believe we as a society have gone too far in creating sterile environments for children.

Need to find the proper balance between clean enough to not cause serious sickness, and unclean enough to still build a strong immune system.

Peanut allergies are getting absurd, and it seems like gluten allergies came out of nowhere too.

Well, that's because people are stupid and believe pseudo scientific asshattery. Gluten allergies are real, don't get me wrong, but if everyone that claims to have them actually did, then there would be a lot more problems with it because most "gluten free" things are contaminated with gluten. That's a whole rant I tend to go on because the movement does harm to people that actually deal with things like celiac.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-18-2019, 12:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Measles preventing Cancer seems a bit idiotic, and I don't think we need to bring it back, but I will say I do believe we as a society have gone too far in creating sterile environments for children.

I have no idea where all the peanut allergies came from.  I don't doubt them, but what the hell happened?  I don't think we can say kids have them and we didn't know due to the fact that we would have had kids dropping dead left and right based on the possible reactions kids today have.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

So this is actually stretching the truth a bit to meet an anti vaccination agenda. It's not "measles prevent cancer" it is based around an idea that some cancers are less likely to occur if a person gets a fever in their first year of life. The belief if I remember the review was that something like a certain number people are born predisposed to Leukemia however if you get sick in that first year it drops substantially even if you are predisposed, however if you don't get sick you odds of getting it increase exponentially. The fever acts as a jump start to the immune system then allowing the body to combat certain diseases (I have seen Leukimia, diabetes, and some allergies linked to this study). The science is relatively new but there seems to be some credibility to the idea that over sterilization of environments have lead to increased cases of some diseases and that corresponding populations in "less clean" environments have a much lower rate.

If I can find the article I read on this a while back I'll post it. The doctor who did it was actually working on some sort of yogurt type substance infants could eat that would basically make them sick in a controlled manor so they could get the benefits with as little risk as possible. 
(02-18-2019, 12:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I have no idea where all the peanut allergies came from.  I don't doubt them, but what the hell happened?  I don't think we can say kids have them and we didn't know due to the fact that we would have had kids dropping dead left and right based on the possible reactions kids today have.

No to derail further, but it is definitely an interesting topic. I started searching for info on it and found some papers:

https://dx.doi.org/10.3390%2Fijerph15092043

Quote:There is a lack of high-quality evidence based on the gold standard of oral food challenges to determine food allergy prevalence. Nevertheless, studies using surrogate measures of food allergy, such as health service utilization and clinical history, together with allergen-specific immunoglobulin E (sIgE), provide compelling data that the prevalence of food allergy is increasing in both Western and developing countries. In Western countries, challenge-diagnosed food allergy has been reported to be as high as 10%, with the greatest prevalence noted among younger children. There is also growing evidence of increasing prevalence in developing countries, with rates of challenge-diagnosed food allergy in China and Africa reported to be similar to that in Western countries. An interesting observation is that children of East Asian or African descent born in a Western environment are at higher risk of food allergy compared to Caucasian children; this intriguing finding emphasizes the importance of genome-environment interactions and forecasts future increases in food allergy in Asia and Africa as economic growth continues in these regions. While cow’s milk and egg allergy are two of the most common food allergies in most countries, diverse patterns of food allergy can be observed in individual geographic regions determined by each country’s feeding patterns. More robust studies investigating food allergy prevalence, particularly in Asia and the developing world, are necessary to understand the extent of the food allergy problem and identify preventive strategies to cope with the potential increase in these regions.

Seems this is a global trend.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-18-2019, 01:01 PM)Au165 Wrote: So this is actually stretching the truth a bit to meet an anti vaccination agenda. It's not "measles prevent cancer" it is based around an idea that some cancers are less likely to occur if a person gets a fever in their first year of life. The belief if I remember the review was that something like a certain number people are born predisposed to Leukemia however if you get sick in that first year it drops substantially even if you are predisposed, however if you don't get sick you odds of getting it increase exponentially. The fever acts as a jump start to the immune system then allowing the body to combat certain diseases (I have seen Leukimia, diabetes, and some allergies linked to this study). The science is relatively new but there seems to be some credibility to the idea that over sterilization of environments have lead to increased cases of some diseases and that corresponding populations in "less clean" environments have a much lower rate.

If I can find the article I read on this a while back I'll post it. The doctor who did it was actually working on some sort of yogurt type substance infants could eat that would basically make them sick in a controlled manor so they could get the benefits with as little risk as possible. 

Also, from the article posted:

Quote:Lichtenfeld, with the American Cancer Society, said that the measles virus alone is not being used to treat cancer but, rather, a version that has been manipulated to specifically invade certain cancer cells.

“It’s far different in any way, shape or form from giving patients an illness in order to try to treat a cancer,” he said. “That is simply not what we do.
(02-18-2019, 01:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: Also, from the article posted:

Yea, I saw that. This belief isn't unique to measles though which is why I made my post. There is some truth though to the getting sick can be a good thing narrative but it needs to be in context. 
(02-18-2019, 01:36 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yea, I saw that. This belief isn't unique to measles though which is why I made my post. There is some truth though to the getting sick can be a good thing narrative but it needs to be in context. 

Yeah, and I think that goes back to my original (partial) agreement that we are "too" careful with germs and maybe a little exposure would be better for us when we are younger.
(02-18-2019, 01:39 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yeah, and I think that goes back to my original (partial) agreement that we are "too" careful with germs and maybe a little exposure would be better for us when we are younger.

Pretty much. It's give and take though the common cold vs exposing them to god knows what. Does everyone in the family who is relatively healthy need to spray down with Lysol before picking up the baby? probably not. We need to just use some common sense at times. 
There's a difference between creating too sterile an environment, and not vaccinating against virulent yet preventable childhood diseases. Not vaccinating your child is simply flat out stupid, and you're rolling the dice against your child possibly dying. Everyone thinks these diseases are just fevers, or something your child can feel bad through. Or that if it does get bad a hospital will fix it. Some children will die as a result of these diseases, hospital intervention or not.

As to a sterile environment. I agree we have gone too far with over clean and antibiotic everything. Children do need to be exposed to bacteria to develop resistance and immunity. There is a reason we get sicker less often as we age....we build up resistance. My daughter was vaccinated. But she was also allowed to dig in the dirt and let the dog lick her face, etc. She is a happy healthy young adult now.
(02-18-2019, 02:53 PM)Beaker Wrote: There's a difference between creating too sterile an environment, and not vaccinating against virulent yet preventable childhood diseases. Not vaccinating your child is simply flat out stupid, and you're rolling the dice against your child possibly dying. Everyone thinks these diseases are just fevers, or something your child can feel bad through. Or that if it does get bad a hospital will fix it. Some children will die as a result of these diseases, hospital intervention or not.

As to a sterile environment. I agree we have gone too far with over clean and antibiotic everything. Children do need to be exposed to bacteria to develop resistance and immunity. There is a reason we get sicker less often as we age....we build up resistance. My daughter was vaccinated. But she was also allowed to dig in the dirt and let the dog lick her face, etc. She is a happy healthy young adult now.

I saw someone selling clean dirt online the other day, literally the value proposition was it's the cleanest dirt you can get for playing in. This is a packaged product too not some random guy with a shovel and truck. People will buy anything...
(02-18-2019, 12:53 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, that's because people are stupid and believe pseudo scientific asshattery. Gluten allergies are real, don't get me wrong, but if everyone that claims to have them actually did, then there would be a lot more problems with it because most "gluten free" things are contaminated with gluten. That's a whole rant I tend to go on because the movement does harm to people that actually deal with things like celiac.

Yeah, I wasn't including the non-celiac gluten-free crowd in my idea that it seemingly came out of nowhere. I have a brother-in-law who has celiac and we have to make sure to keep a gluten-free counter, and have a box for gluten-free cutting board/pots/etc.

It just barely seemed to be a thing thirty or forty years ago.

Interestingly enough, the two people I know who actually have celiac's? They appreciate the fake gluten allergy people because it caused a market to be made for them where they have a lot more items now available that are okay. Really opened up their food choices.

(Side note: Papa John's cracks me up because they have a "gluten free" crust... and then at the end of the description say it is not recommended for those with celiacs. Lol)

(02-18-2019, 03:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, I wasn't including the non-celiac gluten-free crowd in my idea that it seemingly came out of nowhere. I have a brother-in-law who has celiac and we have to make sure to keep a gluten-free counter, and have a box for gluten-free cutting board/pots/etc.

Interestingly enough, the two people I know who actually have celiac's? They appreciate the fake gluten allergy people because it caused a market to be made for them where they have a lot more items now available that are okay. Really opened up their food choices.

(Side note: Papa John's cracks me up because they have a "gluten free" crust... and then at the end of the description say it is not recommended for those with celiacs. Lol)

I saw a package of frozen hamburgers that said "gluten free".  I wonder how many people were like "awesome".  

(Matt don't come here and tell me about fillers or something and ruin my story.)
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-18-2019, 03:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, I wasn't including the non-celiac gluten-free crowd in my idea that it seemingly came out of nowhere. I have a brother-in-law who has celiac and we have to make sure to keep a gluten-free counter, and have a box for gluten-free cutting board/pots/etc.

I blame science.  They keep finding new diseases and then refining them.

We need to just go back to blaming demons and bloodletting.   Ninja
(02-18-2019, 03:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I saw a package of frozen hamburgers that said "gluten free".  I wonder how many people were like "awesome".  

(Matt don't come here and tell me about fillers or something and ruin my story.)

Would I ever do something like that? Ninja

It is funny, though, how many things get that label smacked on them that wouldn't have contained gluten, anyway. People are morons.

(02-18-2019, 02:53 PM)Beaker Wrote:  My daughter was vaccinated. But she was also allowed to dig in the dirt and let the dog lick her face, etc.

I let my girls play with R. Kelly.
(02-18-2019, 03:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: I blame science.  They keep finding new diseases and then refining them.

We need to just go back to blaming demons and bloodletting.   Ninja

Hey, have you ever seen someone get addicted to prescription leeches used to balance the good humors and bad humors? I rest my case. Opioid crisis solved.

(02-18-2019, 04:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I let my girls play with R. Kelly.

[Image: Screen-Shot-2016-01-29-at-3.23.06-PM.png]