Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
‘Close’ Formations + OLine logic
A quick observation I had last year was that we played a lot of WRs near the center of the formation. This led to sacks from DB and stacked the box - there is probably some rationale here, but I don’t think it plays to the weakness of the oline.

The second observation I had was I saw some plays where Jonah Williams had to pick between two players - one coming off the edge the other blitzing the B gap. In HS, I was taught to choose from inside out - there was a RB to pick up the blitz (but failed) but the ‘inside pr’ was the larger defender, not a lb.

ANOTHER observation I had was how much ground our oline gave up immediately on the snap. We have Sample and can pull in another oline (D’Ante Smith?) into the box, wouldn’t it be easier to limit the space players have to move? It just seems forced.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 02:31 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: A quick observation I had last year was that we played a lot of WRs near the center of the formation. This led to sacks from DB and stacked the box - there is probably some rationale here, but I don’t think it plays to the weakness of the oline.

The second observation I had was I saw some plays where Jonah Williams had to pick between two players - one coming off the edge the other blitzing the B gap. In HS, I was taught to choose from inside out - there was a RB to pick up the blitz (but failed) but the ‘inside pr’ was the larger defender, not a lb.

ANOTHER observation I had was how much ground our oline gave up immediately on the snap. We have Sample and can pull in another oline (D’Ante Smith?) into the box, wouldn’t it be easier to limit the space players have to move? It just seems forced.

I will politely add any oline issues you can trace back to Jim Turner. I saw the same as you. 
I saw a,oline that had issues recognizing defensive fronts
And alot of guessing who to block.
Collectively this group lacked coaching cohesion and 
Dare I say aggression.

I cant stand how this offense simply will not
Use motion and shifts occupy the eyes of the 
Defense and cause them to overthink their assignments
Hopefully ZT and BC will actually start thinking outside
The box. 

The best Bengals offense always had a innovative mind
On the sidelines
Reply/Quote
One way you scheme around WRs who have trouble getting separation is to bring them in closer from the sideline so that they can use the traffic in the middle of the field.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 04:10 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I will politely add any oline issues you can trace back to Jim Turner. I saw the same as you. 
I saw a,oline that had issues recognizing defensive fronts
And alot of guessing who to block.
Collectively this group lacked coaching cohesion and 
Dare I say aggression.

I cant stand how this offense simply will not
Use motion and shifts occupy the eyes of the 
Defense and cause them to overthink their assignments
Hopefully ZT and BC will actually start thinking outside
The box. 

The best Bengals offense always had a innovative mind
On the sidelines

I saw it too, along with a ton of mental mistakes/lack of communication/blown assignments.  Part of that is the players screw ups, and another part of the problem was the coaching wasn't having them prepared to carry out the plan.  For an OL, it's tough to be aggressive when the entire unit is playing to separate sheets of music.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 04:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I saw it too, along with a ton of mental mistakes/lack of communication/blown assignments.  Part of that is the players screw ups, and another part of the problem was the coaching wasn't having them prepared to carry out the plan.  For an OL, it's tough to be aggressive when the entire unit is playing to separate sheets of music.

It was embarrassing.  It seemed like the RG couldn't pick up a stunt to save their lives no matter who we lined up there.  I realize they had to play a lot of different OL combinations because of injuries and other factors, but I don't think I've ever seen an NFL OL be that bad with assignment errors.  If it's 1-2 guys, it's a player problem.  If it's everybody, it's a coaching problem.

I'm not as high on Pollack as a coach as some.  That said, if he can just get everyone blocking who they're supposed to block on a consistent basis, it will be a drastic improvement.  
Reply/Quote