Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
‘Outlaw’ country Peeps
(05-15-2018, 02:16 PM)jason Wrote: John Prine's gonna be in Cincy this month I think... Tyler Childers is opening.

Would love to get to see John Prine.

Cody Jinks turns up on my Pandora pretty often. Mostly these days, as far as country, I listen to Drive By Truckers and Lucero. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2018, 03:16 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I knew I liked Cody Jinks before but that show was crazy good!  Maybe it was the whiskey, or maybe it was other party favors :), but everyone was on point last night. I did don’t know anything about Red Shehan but check out his song ‘Men and Coyotes.’  I’m still humming it today.

I cover a couple of Cody's songs; I'm not the Devil, and I Cast No Stones. I dig some of his other stuff as well, Loud Thunder is good. His Pink Floyd cver of Wish You Were Here, not so much.

Been digging on a couple of Whiskey Meyers songs lately. Stone, and Ballad of a Southern Man. Not a huge fan of some of the second song's lyrics, but feel it is well written. 
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2018, 03:16 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I knew I liked Cody Jinks before but that show was crazy good!  Maybe it was the whiskey, or maybe it was other party favors :), but everyone was on point last night. I did don’t know anything about Red Shehan but check out his song ‘Men and Coyotes.’  I’m still humming it today.

See below Hawk! Cody played in Destin in February, I believe it as? I had a show and couldn't make it. Heard it was really good!
(05-16-2018, 12:51 PM)Benton Wrote: Would love to get to see John Prine.

Cody Jinks turns up on my Pandora pretty often. Mostly these days, as far as country, I listen to Drive By Truckers and Lucero. 

Try The Turnpike Troubadours and some of Whiskey Myers! Also Uncle Lucious, Keep the Wolves Away.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 01:27 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: See below Hawk! Cody played in Destin in February, I believe it as? I had a show and couldn't make it. Heard it was really good!

Try The Turnpike Troubadours and some of Whiskey Myers! Also Uncle Lucious, Keep the Wolves Away.

Oh yeah, love the Turnpike Troubadours. Whiskey Myers is kind of weird for me, some songs I love, some I can't stand. Stone is always on my list and Broken Window Serenade is great, but a lot of their other stuff I'm not a fan of. 
Reply/Quote
Anyone who hasn't heard the Dead South must do so... Like right now.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 01:55 PM)jason Wrote: Anyone who hasn't heard the Dead South must do so... Like right now.

They were just here in DSM last week.  I had to choose between seeing them or Cody Jinks.  I choose Cody this time. 

I like some Whiskey Myers. Some I don't like. I LOVE that Uncle Lucious song.

Check out the song E by Matt Mason.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote

Master Musician's Festival....2nd week of July. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Ryan Bingham is another favorite of mine at the moment.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I just saw this thread and am so happy with it. I'm new to outlaw country, the modern stuff anyway. I never cared for the country going around when I was younger, and so never really listened much. I've always been a fan of the older country as well as Southern rock and folk/Americana stuff. I have Trae Crowder (of Liberal Redneck fame on YouTube) to thank for starting me down this path, and then the Bitter Southerner family for keeping me here. Now I can peruse these names and find new ones to listen to.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2018, 05:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let me tell y'all something.  You haven't lived, until your wife spits her Dos Equis down the front of your Mexican waiter's uniform.  Ah, good times.

you always struck me as the type that likes to play dress up.  

"Who's your papi?!  Who's your papi?!"
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 01:02 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: you always struck me as the type that likes to play dress up.  

"Who's your papi?!  Who's your papi?!"

Yo estoy su papi, siempre!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 12:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I just saw this thread and am so happy with it. I'm new to outlaw country, the modern stuff anyway. I never cared for the country going around when I was younger, and so never really listened much. I've always been a fan of the older country as well as Southern rock and folk/Americana stuff. I have Trae Crowder (of Liberal Redneck fame on YouTube) to thank for starting me down this path, and then the Bitter Southerner family for keeping me here. Now I can peruse these names and find new ones to listen to.

With your affinity for history, check out Last Pale Light in the West by Ben Nichols (singer for Lucero). 
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2018, 01:27 AM)Benton Wrote: With your affinity for history, check out Last Pale Light in the West by Ben Nichols (singer for Lucero). 

This is where being a Google Play Music subscriber comes in handy. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 12:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I just saw this thread and am so happy with it. I'm new to outlaw country, the modern stuff anyway. I never cared for the country going around when I was younger, and so never really listened much. I've always been a fan of the older country as well as Southern rock and folk/Americana stuff. I have Trae Crowder (of Liberal Redneck fame on YouTube) to thank for starting me down this path, and then the Bitter Southerner family for keeping me here. Now I can peruse these names and find new ones to listen to.

I'll repeat myself... The Dead South.

Also Tyler Childers if ya haven't already.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

That show I was talking about is actually Saturday June 9th at Memorial Hall.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2018, 01:45 PM)jason Wrote: I'll repeat myself... The Dead South.

Also Tyler Childers if ya haven't already.

Is the Dead South more than just In Hell I’ll Be In Good Company? What’s another good song they have?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote

When you say older country, are you referring to the likes of Twitty, Cash, Haggard, Nelson, Hank stuff? That was some really depressing stuff but I grew up with it and still enjoy listening (just have to be careful that I’m not drunk or had a shitty day).

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 09:53 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Is the Dead South more than just In Hell I’ll Be In Good Company? What’s another good song they have?

Oh man... Banjo Odyssey, Wishing Well, Bastard Son, DeepWhen the River's High (my favorite), Gunslinger something or 'nother. I've yet to hear one I don't like. I just caught onto them last year. First heard them on a Colter Wall song. They're on Johnny Boy's Bones with him.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 02:41 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: They were just here in DSM last week.  I had to choose between seeing them or Cody Jinks.  I choose Cody this time. 

I like some Whiskey Myers. Some I don't like. I LOVE that Uncle Lucious song.

Check out the song E by Matt Mason.

Didn't realize it was him til yesterday, but I like Guns and Guitars by Matt Mason.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 10:01 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: When you say older country, are you referring to the likes of Twitty, Cash, Haggard, Nelson, Hank stuff? That was some really depressing stuff but I grew up with it and still enjoy listening (just have to be careful that I’m not drunk or had a shitty day).

That's exactly the stuff I am referring to. Not all of it was depressing, but I know a good bit of it was.

Reply/Quote