Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
“It’s good now”… “It’s been feeling awesome”.
(07-12-2016, 12:02 PM)3wt Wrote: I like the idea of him playing inside, and if he can put together a pass rush having opposite Dunlap could be very exciting.   Spelling Peko really improved his game last year.  Doing the same for MJ could also bear some pretty good fruit.  If he's healthy and producing Guenther is likely to use him in a variety of ways.

So in this the driest part of the off season I'm willing to put some positive energy behind a reasonable pipe dream.

Exactly.  Having MJ or even Dunlap play 98% of the snaps is some sort of badge of honor, but to me it is not smart.  I would rather spell them, have them more effective when on the field, and be in better shape for the postseason.  It is time to start planning for your postseason strategy during the year, not when it is over.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2016, 11:52 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Well, all I have to say is that he's a bust until he proves otherwise. Three years to contribute essentially nothing. A bad back for one year just doesn't explain the complete disappearance he's was able to do the other two years. It's time to put up or make room for someone who will.

Right on !

(07-12-2016, 02:33 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: My observation of Hunt, and we have limited snaps to talk about, show a guy with tremendous power, who doesn't finish, who doesn't take his play all the way to achieve a football objective, like making a tackle for instance.

He gets into a pushing contest and forgets that job one is to GET YOUR HANDS ON THE GUY WITH THE BALL! Now I'm sure that he has been coached on finishing over and over.  But he doesn't seem to have the football instinct to make that one great, last move to get a sack, or at least a tackle.

Let's hope that exposure to Kevin Greene, will bring him up a couple of notches, and he'll understand that there's a time to get off the damn block and make a play.  It seems like he has the talent in there somewhere, to be awesome. But the clock is ticking loudly.

Nail meet Hammer,

They guy may have all the strength in the world but he doesn't know what to do even when he gets there. His football instincts are extremely low, he doesn't have a nose for the ball and can't dissect plays. And he just doesn't have that killer instinct.

Having a bad back last season doesn't change this. Unless Greene was able to triple Hunt's "football IQ" I have little hope that technique or not having a bad back is gonna change anything.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2016, 09:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: People will say you are pulling for him out of pure fandom and that he is a bust...blah, blah, blah.

I don't always like to hear the terms "raw", or "project" when it comes to a second round selection, but the Bengals had talent that were already entrenched as starters so I was ok with the decision.  His health has been the #1 issue with Hunt.  I watched him a lot in college.  You can go back and watch his Youtube highlights.  The guy was unblockable.  He had tremendous balance for a big man, and great speed and athleticism.  

I was hoping to see him more at DT next to Geno with MJ and Dunlap outside.  I also thought he was more suited at LDE, but either way, the guy made some amazing plays and he wasn't always facing duds.  I remember when he went against a tackle that was drafted pretty high (second rounder, I think) and he definitely got the best of him the entire game.  Plus, blocking something ridiculous like 17 kicks?  Why was he not next to Dunlap on these units?

I still have hope for the guy, but he is a longshot at this point.  If he has a huge season, this team is going to be lethal on defense. 

People can say what they want, everyone has an opinion. I'm rooting for the guy. If they lined him up next to Geno or Peko, and put Dunlap and Johnson on the ends, what QB could see to throw over that line. The only line of sight would be over top of Geno's helmet, which is going to be bearing down on you. And maybe it's the back issue, but I do not understand why Simmons is not lining up Hunt on the inside to block kicks. Seems like he had a knack for it, and is seldom used in that role. If he makes the step he makes it, if not he's gone. I'm rooting for him....
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2016, 02:37 PM)Sled21 Wrote: People can say what they want, everyone has an opinion. I'm rooting for the guy. If they lined him up next to Geno or Peko, and put Dunlap and Johnson on the ends, what QB could see to throw over that line. The only line of sight would be over top of Geno's helmet, which is going to be bearing down on you. And maybe it's the back issue, but I do not understand why Simmons is not lining up Hunt on the inside to block kicks. Seems like he had a knack for it, and is seldom used in that role. If he makes the step he makes it, if not he's gone. I'm rooting for him....

Pretty sure he is. I see Hunt and Dunlap when they go to block a kick, it's just that while Dunlap has managed some blocks, Hunt hasn't done anything.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2016, 05:47 PM)3wt Wrote: That's how Margus Hunt describes how his back is feeling in Dan Hoard's recent article on Hunt and Clarke stepping up (http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Opportunity-Beckons-for-Clarke-and-Hunt/df3b1689-76ad-41b5-a4a3-bf5ef518604d).  

He went on to describe how bad his back was last year and the process it took to start getting his strength and flexibility back.  Ultimately he was only able to contribute 5% of the defensive snaps.

I have this crazy good (emphasis on crazy) feeling about Hunt this year.   If he stays healthy that is.  I remember how long it took Geno to get back to speed after his knee surgery.  Backs are every bit as serious as knees and he barely was able to get back on the field.

Couple that with what sounds like a really good meeting with Kevin Green and I actually have a touch of optimism going into training camp.  The visit involved physically showing Hunt how he trained and film work of both Green and Hunt.

If Hunt were to develop to the point where he could put significant pressure on the quarterback it would put our defense into a different category.  It would strengthen the rotation (spelling MJ) and add the pressure on the quarterback that has been missing at the end of big games.

A bad back can definately destroy your game. Happy that injury is behind Hunt and i hope for him to finally put it
together. He has amazing strength, size and athleticism he just needs to learn how to bend like Dunlap and keep
his motor up. Sometimes he gives up on plays, this needs to end.

Working with Kevin Green should really help him in all these things.

I know that Hunt is much older than Clarke but of the two i have higher hopes for Hunt. I have seen nothing from
Clarke so far in the NFL, atleast Hunt dominated a game in the Preseason.

But if just one of these two guys can start getting to the QB our Defense could be the best in the league. We need
our DE rotation to be strong behind Dunlap and MJ. The one problem i had with the Draft was no DE, hopefully this
is the reason we did not draft one, the coaches have high hopes for Hunt and Clarke.

Still, sign Freeney as insurance for the pass rush.
Reply/Quote
I have not given up on Hunt and Clarke, but I don't have high hopes for either of them.

Many players can make a big improvement from their rookie to second year, but after 2 or 3 years in the league it is unusual for a player to suddenly take his game to another level.

We really, really need Hunt and Clarke to step up.  That way Hardison can concentrate 100% on playing inside at DT.  That is where he belongs.

And although no player wants to give up playing time, even the best ones seem to play better when they can get a few more snaps off.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2016, 03:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The one problem i had with the Draft was no DE, hopefully this
is the reason we did not draft one, the coaches have high hopes for Hunt and Clarke.

I agree Nate.   I really wanted a DE.   I'm thinking that primarily they continued to draft the best player available.   But I'm hoping that the coaches have enough confidence in one or both of those guys they felt comfortable doing it.

My guess is that the coaches are wanting to see if one of those two show before investing money in an older pass rusher like Freeney.  They only have so much money to secure the players from their roster they want to keep, so that may be a factor as well.

As for me.  Give me Freeney and hope that the other two turn out as well.   Our pass rush was so anemic at the end of big games last year.
Reply/Quote