Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conspiracy! Dun-Dun-Duuuuun!
I was doing some research the other day on how teams fared after a move during my lifetime (since 1981). I didn't post the results because I didn't want to spread negativity prior to the SB, but since we lost, I may as well post it now.

There's been 9 teams who switched cities since 1981.

5 of them made the Super Bowl within 7 years, and 4 won championships. Here's the complete list:

Raiders to LA in 1982 - Won SB in 1983
Cards to Phoenix in 1988 - Still sucked
Raiders to Oakland in 1995 - Lost SB in 2002
Rams to St Louis in 1995 - Won SB in 1999
Browns/Ravens to Baltimore in 1996 - Won SB in 2000
Oilers to Tennessee in 1997 - Lost SB in 1999
Rams to LA in 2016 - Lost SB in 2018, Won SB in 2021
Chargers to LA in 2017 - No SB yet, but it's only been 5 years, and things are looking up
Raiders to LV in 2020 - No SB yet, but they did make the playoffs for only the 2nd time in almost 20 years. It's only been 2 years since their move.

- The 3 teams that moved to LA accounted for 3 Super Bowls and 2 Championships
- The Rams sucked prior to both of their moves, then won championships shortly after moves to St Louis and back to LA

The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
So we need the Bengals to move to Dayton, win and then move back to Cincinnati to win again??

Fair enough.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Bell penalty, which apparently was legit, was because he hit Kupp in the head, correct?
Reply/Quote
Move them to Virginia... That way I don't have to pay for Sunday ticket.. oh wait, I'm already cancelling that. I'm done with the NFL
Reply/Quote
If you don't count the LA Chargers (would be a bit too obvious for both current LA teams to be in a SB) or LV Raiders (only 2 years since move), then it's 5 of 7 teams reached SB and 4 of 7 won it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If you don't count the LA Chargers (would be a bit too obvious for both current LA teams to be in a SB) or LV Raiders (only 2 years since move), then it's 5 of 7 teams reached SB and 4 of 7 won it.

That’s the thing with conspiracy theories, if you keep disregarding all the exceptions you eventually end up at the conclusion you were going for. Wouldn’t it have made more sense to send the Chargers to win and have a Tom Brady or an Aaron Rodgers as their opponent because of the draw?

In reality, I’d like to see how many of those moves coincided with teams going “all in” to try and build up the new fan base?
Reply/Quote
I'm going to go with a big no, but I'm pretty sure Goodell and CO were praying for a Rams win so they could act like LA is a legit football town because of its huge market share.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:38 PM)Au165 Wrote: That’s the thing with conspiracy theories, if you keep disregarding all the exceptions you eventually end up at the conclusion you were going for. Wouldn’t it have made more sense to send the Chargers to win and have a Tom Brady or an Aaron Rodgers as their opponent because of the draw?

In reality, I’d like to see how many of those moves coincided with teams going “all in” to try and build up the new fan base?

I don't full on believe it, but I keep my mind open. Especially when the refs are keeping the flags in their pocket all night until a crucial drive at the end.

From what I've heard, the Chargers will always be viewed as San Diego's team. The Rams have way more history in LA, and probably the better shot at being accepted there.

The Raiders have only played 2 years and still have time. Even if you count them, 5 examples out of 9 is pretty interesting, IMO. Especially when most of these teams stunk prior to moving.
Reply/Quote