Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
“We’re a Second Half Team”
(09-19-2022, 12:24 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m not buying the “second half team” excuse any longer.  Oh, sure, this worked against Kansas City twice last year but big comebacks are outliers in the NFL, not the norm.  While it is statistically true the Bengals have lost two games by a combined six points this season, in reality the games were not that close.  

Lou Anarumo has the defense playing at an above average level and this is why the Bengals went to the Super Bowl after running the tables in the playoffs.  All those big Burrow to Chase plays took place in the regular season. The Cincinnati defense is continuing their good play in 2022 but even they will have to tighten things up significantly to allow less points than the offense can currently score.  

The Cincinnati Bengals will not truly be great until they can play with physical intensity from the opening kickoff onward.  Just once I would like to see the team go into halftime with a huge lead instead of going into halftime way behind thereby requiring frantic adjustments to be made in the second half.  The best teams start strong and finish stronger.

If the players/coaches only want to play 1/2 the game time to cut pay rates by the same amount
Reply/Quote
At 0-2 I'd say were a "no half" team.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 01:53 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: 14-34-1

This offense has looked overmatched, overwhelmed, and outcoached - BAD in both these sorry games. And at some point, you are what your record says you are.

Winning the AFC title last year probably reinforced to Zac he's doing it right as a coach. I sure do wish he'd make some changes with his approach and the first thing I wish he'd try is giving up the offensive playing calling 100% to Callahan.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 09:34 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Winning the AFC title last year probably reinforced to Zac he's doing it right as a coach. I sure do wish he'd make some changes with his approach and the first thing I wish he'd try is giving up the offensive playing calling 100% to Callahan.

Agree

There's all kinds of issues with this O. But I believe the smoking gun is lack of having a real OC. WE're just flat, vanilla, predictable, and unsure. They entire offense has had the deer in the headlight look on 85% of their plays thru 2+ games.

Swallow your pride for the benefit of the team ZAC and step aside.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 09:34 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Winning the AFC title last year probably reinforced to Zac he's doing it right as a coach. I sure do wish he'd make some changes with his approach and the first thing I wish he'd try is giving up the offensive playing calling 100% to Callahan.

I think Zac is a good HC but he's an average, at best, OC. There are ways great OCs scheme around their offenses' weaknesses. Zac doesn't do that. I'd be perfectly fine with Zac taking a step back from playcalling, turning it over to Callahan and if he fails, getting someone better. 

If this OL gels and gets in sync with Burrow quickly, Zac may look like a decent playcaller by seasons' end, but I'd rather he focus on just being the best HC he can be and leave the playcalling to someone better.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 12:36 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: run defense is great, pass rush is the issue. Bad pass rush leads to receivers getting open downfield.

you're being as big of a baby as Nicomo. Secondary has played fine, they get no help from the front 4.

18ppg allowed through 2 games. Good no matter how you slice it. Offense is the reason the bengals have lost both games. And a back up long snapper

Defense is decent. Would sure love to see us blitz a little more especially against Second tier QBs that we’ve faced.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 12:26 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, I don't think we have the coaching staff to be an elite team. It's Year 4 for Zac. The light should have came on by now.

Teams throw a Cover 2 at us and it puzzles them.

Yeah Lac Taylor isn't that guy. 
Reply/Quote
Would be nice if Taylor gave up play calling duties. Callahan can’t be that much worse.. I think
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 12:24 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m not buying the “second half team” excuse any longer.  Oh, sure, this worked against Kansas City twice last year but big comebacks are outliers in the NFL, not the norm.  While it is statistically true the Bengals have lost two games by a combined six points this season, in reality the games were not that close.  

Lou Anarumo has the defense playing at an above average level and this is why the Bengals went to the Super Bowl after running the tables in the playoffs.  All those big Burrow to Chase plays took place in the regular season. The Cincinnati defense is continuing their good play in 2022 but even they will have to tighten things up significantly to allow less points than the offense can currently score.  

The Cincinnati Bengals will not truly be great until they can play with physical intensity from the opening kickoff onward.  Just once I would like to see the team go into halftime with a huge lead instead of going into halftime way behind thereby requiring frantic adjustments to be made in the second half.  The best teams start strong and finish stronger.

This team can't rely on always having some big plays to Chase/Higgins every game.
Looking back to last year, the offense was stagnant a lot of the games apart from a couple big plays to get them the win in close games.

They need to be able to consistently march down the field utilizing both the passing game (specifically short/medium routes) and the running game if they want to be a perennial contender.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 10:44 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Would be nice if Taylor gave up play calling duties. Callahan can’t be that much worse.. I think

I agree with this, why have an OC if you are not going to use him.
Reply/Quote