Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
“Welcome to the end of democracy."
(02-23-2024, 02:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yeah, that seemed to be very much the case to me as well.  How knows though, maybe he meant it?  Regardless, it provided the perfect opportunity to paint conservatives as wanting to overthrow our government, so it absolutely should have been posted as such.

I thought it could be meant sarcastically, and even then it’s moronic. Especially since it’s not completely obvious unless there’s part of the clip we don’t see that makes it obvious.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 02:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's one of those "This is a joke, but it's seriously what I want" statements. I can't be the only dude here who has "jokingly" asked a gf if she would think it'd be totally funny and silly to bring another female into the bedroom.

Anyways, as much as we can pretend this guy is a fringe nut there is a chance he gets what he wants soon.

As I said, he could be serious.  You could also be right.

Quote:Yes, conservatives aren't known for their humor but I don't know this guy is he a comedian of some sort?  The thin veil of "it's a joke, bro lighten up" has been used for many things.  Also, Trump himself admitted 1/6 was an insurrection insofar as he followed up by saying it was Nancy Pelosi/Nimroda Rawhanada's fault so meh, there are times when "jokes" aren't so funny.  Or maybe this guy really is the Carrot Head of the RNC and it's all a funny ass joke.

Considering Chappelle and Norm MacDonald are no labeled as conservative I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that.  I will absolutely admit that extremists of all stripe tend to be humorless clods.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 03:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.splcenter.org/splc-investigation-far-right-oann-anchor-jack-posobiecs-rise-tied-white-supremacist-movement

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/bumble-dating-app-jack-posobiec-alt-right-leader-whit-nationalist-hate-speech-racism-a8178091.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/08/15/trump-retweets-right-wing-provocateur-known-for-pushing-false-conspiracy-theories/

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-far-right-american-nationalist-who-tweeted-macronleaks

https://americasvoice.org/blog/cpac-to-display-the-conspiratorial-white-nationalism-rotting-the-gop-from-the-inside-out/

Cool.  I didn't ask if he was one, I asked what it is.  I've noticed leftists (and rightists) like to bandy about talking point words without being able to actually define them.  I'd repeat the question but I doubt I'd get a different response.

Quote:A guy like Jack has been around for quite a while and is quite high-profile in right-wing circles.  More people should know who he is.  I never said anyone lied about not knowing...just that I found it amusing.  

I've heard the name.  As for the rest, suuuurrrrreeeee.

Quote:I mean you're telling me what I meant after you tell me I "whine" about it.

Isn't this whole thread about interpreting what someone meant?

Quote:I meant I find it funny that people claim they know a lot about politics and claim to hate the extremist in both parties but don't know who those people are.  Or when  stupid thing like this goes viral someone will come along later and say they never even heard it.  We're all pretty in tune around here, some more than others, and given the number or posts and replies I'd say there's a solid group who make this sub-forum a pretty "important" part of their day if that's word you want to use.  Personally I really enjoy reading it on and off all day.  Helps pass the time along with listening to the radio, working, skimming other social media sites.

Fascinating, because you're up on politics you should be aware of every single nut job on both sides of the aisle? 

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 03:31 PM)hollodero Wrote: Conservatives, no. They do not deserve to be painted as such in their entirety. But CPAC specifically, these folks are increasingly suspicious and I find nothing wrong with stating as much. Just for underlying it with an example of many, whoever hangs around with Orban, praises illiberate democracies and lets all kinds of extremists speak at their conventions might not be a force for democracy.

Unfortunately this seems to be a process that is accelerating.  Extremism is starting to become more the norm than the exception.

Quote:As for Mr. Posobiec, he is one of these agent provocateurs it seems, someone always tiptoeing the line and banking on the benefit of the doubt time and again as kind of a publicity and business model - see Dino's links for example. Like uh, ah, the things I stated might not have been a slur, might not have been a white supremacy code, might not have been antisemitism, might just be trolling, you can not definitely prove otherwise, so stop your hate. But at the same time all the actual white supremacists, racists, antisemites and nazis sure take these codes as proof he is just one of them and usually, types like Mr. Posobiec are well aware of that.

He may indeed be everything you're saying.  I merely stated I wasn't familiar with the guy.  Which apparently means I'm lying because "reasons".  The obvious insinuation that I'm lying, with a thin veneer of plausible deniability isn't exactly something I'm just going to accept with a smile.  I have heard the name, and that he's very far right.  I've heard the name Nick Fuentes come up in conjunction with him, but I don't know much about that guy either. I get enough bullshit in my daily life that I don't feel the need to go searching for it on my off time.  Outside of actual politicians I don't think I could name a single far left extremist off the top of my head.  Maybe I'm lying about that too?

(02-23-2024, 03:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I thought it could be meant sarcastically, and even then it’s moronic. Especially since it’s not completely obvious unless there’s part of the clip we don’t see that makes it obvious.

With selective editing any attempt at sarcasm is ripe for being misinterpreted. Again, maybe this guy is serious. If he's not it's a poor decision regardless.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 04:33 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Considering Chappelle and Norm MacDonald are no labeled as conservative I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that.

Fair point to Chappelle, though he seems like he went that route of being "conservative" in the sense that intentionally un PC grievances rants have become so mainstream in conservative politics. Seeing Ted Cruz and John Kennedy wipe their arses on their ivy league educations to do stand up about wokeism and liberals being crybabies is cringe.

Personally, I've never voted republican in my life but based on what makes someone conservative these days my own late teens and early 20's "what about us straight white men" grievances and zeal for taking "funny" jabs at marginalized folks and an overall feeling that society trying too hard to be nice would have made me "conservative" in a sense.  But again, it was 2001-2004 or so, so conservatives were all about war and the patriot act, so no thanks to that.

Norm MacDonald I was unaware of, only to say that I assume he wasn't all that conservative since the internet was quite broken up when he died and spoke well of him, and yes that's all I can base stuff on.  You can have Jim Brewer and whatever the hell Roseanne has become, though.

The non-comedian stuff like this topic and guy falls in to that category of:

Oh he's just kidding, he doesn't mean it, my gawd you liberals are soooo touchy.........also, if he did mean it and this did happen that'd be kinda cool notgonnalie.  As I said, just replace "end of democracy" with "threesome with your roommate" and you pretty much have my college-era "joke" book.  
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 05:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Fair point to Chappelle, though he seems like he went that route of being "conservative" in the sense that intentionally un PC grievances rants have become so mainstream in conservative politics. Seeing Ted Cruz and John Kennedy wipe their arses on their ivy league educations to do stand up about wokeism and liberals being crybabies is cringe.

Personally, I've never voted republican in my life but based on what makes someone conservative these days my own late teens and early 20's "what about us straight white men" grievances and zeal for taking "funny" jabs at marginalized folks and an overall feeling that society trying too hard to be nice would have made me "conservative" in a sense.  But again, it was 2001-2004 or so, so conservatives were all about war and the patriot act, so no thanks to that.

Norm MacDonald I was unaware of, only to say that I assume he wasn't all that conservative since the internet was quite broken up when he died and spoke well of him, and yes that's all I can base stuff on.  You can have Jim Brewer and whatever the hell Roseanne has become, though.

The non-comedian stuff like this topic and guy falls in to that category of:

Oh he's just kidding, he doesn't mean it, my gawd you liberals are soooo touchy.........also, if he did mean it and this did happen that'd be kinda cool notgonnalie.  As I said, just replace "end of democracy" with "threesome with your roommate" and you pretty much have my college-era "joke" book.  

I won't derail beyond this, but Norm was very well known for being a staunch Christian.  He didn't do political humor because he thought it was lazy, a cheap laugh, and also divides your audience..  Consequently most people didn't get a sense of his political leanings.  He was well loved because he was epicly funny in a totally unique way.  He also, by all accounts I have read, was a very considerate and thoughtful person.

Andy Richter used to be the butt of the joke when Norm was on Conan (Norm is on record as loving the era of talk shows where the sidekick got verbally abused).  One of the topics he kept coming back to was joking that Andy was gay.  Andy didn't like it as he took it to be meant as being gay was somehow a bad thing to be.  But he then related that his sister was backstage and ran into Norm and that Norm was the only person who sat and had a conversation with her like a normal person, and seemed genuinely interested in their discussion.  So, even though he didn't like Norm's jabs at times he respected him as a person.

It's towards the end.  I'll stop now.

As for humor in general, in order to be funny you have to be able to laugh at yourself.  You can't take yourself too seriously (see Eddie Murphy and why he stopped being funny).  Neither of those traits are traditionally conservative.  But I would apply the same label to much of the left now as well.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 02:19 PM)GMDino Wrote: He's the guy who pushed Pizzagate and really enjoys the company of white nationalists.

Also he's speaking at CPAC.  P01135809 will headline the event Saturday.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/cpac-live-conference-speakers-2024-b2500638.html

I have to admit I get a kick out of all the people who are so tuned into to politics and then when someone makes a stupid comment (even in jest) they "never heard of the guy".

I don't hang around with white nationalists on the right nor Antifa on the left. I have never heard of the guy, why would I? Why would I care?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 05:22 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I won't derail beyond this, but Norm was very well known for being a staunch Christian.  He didn't do political humor because he thought it was lazy, a cheap laugh, and also divides your audience..  Consequently most people didn't get a sense of his political leanings.  He was well loved because he was epicly funny in a totally unique way.  He also, by all accounts I have read, was a very considerate and thoughtful person.

Andy Richter used to be the butt of the joke when Norm was on Conan (Norm is on record as loving the era of talk shows where the sidekick got verbally abused).  One of the topics he kept coming back to was joking that Andy was gay.  Andy didn't like it as he took it to be meant as being gay was somehow a bad thing to be.  But he then related that his sister was backstage and ran into Norm and that Norm was the only person who sat and had a conversation with her like a normal person, and seemed genuinely interested in their discussion.  So, even though he didn't like Norm's jabs at times he respected him as a person.

It's towards the end.  I'll stop now.

As for humor in general, in order to be funny you have to be able to laugh at yourself.  You can't take yourself too seriously (see Eddie Murphy and why he stopped being funny).  Neither of those traits are traditionally conservative.  But I would apply the same label to much of the left now as well.

Interesting.  If brevity is the source of wit, maybe knowing when to scale things back is the source of likability, or something.  You may not be able to tell by the way I act on here, but I'm not one to talk politics IRL with most folks and I've noticed that people who like me tend to assume I'm of their political persuasion eventually.  It makes sense in a sort of egotistical "I like you and you seem like you have your head on straight, therefore you must be and think like me" way.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 05:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't hang around with white nationalists on the right nor Antifa on the left. I have never heard of the guy, why would I? Why would I care?

You should care because he is speaking at CAPC where P01135809 will also be.  He has pushed multiple conspiracy theories that were proven wrong and mainstains good standing in the right wing.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
The mental gymnastics on display here by our right wing friends is truly a spectacle.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 04:47 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: He may indeed be everything you're saying.  I merely stated I wasn't familiar with the guy.  Which apparently means I'm lying because "reasons".  The obvious insinuation that I'm lying, with a thin veneer of plausible deniability isn't exactly something I'm just going to accept with a smile.  I have heard the name, and that he's very far right.  I've heard the name Nick Fuentes come up in conjunction with him, but I don't know much about that guy either. I get enough bullshit in my daily life that I don't feel the need to go searching for it on my off time.  Outside of actual politicians I don't think I could name a single far left extremist off the top of my head.  Maybe I'm lying about that too?

Yeah it was not my intention to accuse you of lies or anything. I rather tried to point out why I find it quite understandable to not give people like Mr. Posobiec the benefit of the doubt. If one knows what he's about, that is.

I did not know him either.
Reply/Quote
Steve Bannon standing next to him says amen after the guy says they will replace democracy with and holds up a cross.
I guess you guys don’t know who that is either?

I guess just bury your heads in the sand even further. And just pretend when they stated their goals at the “political action” conference that they were just joking. Or hell just ignore the flashing red alarms all together. Just like dear leader hanging out with Epstein for a couple decades and his attempt to rig your last presidential election.

Ffs
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 10:43 PM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah it was not my intention to accuse you of lies or anything. I rather tried to point out why I find it quite understandable to not give people like Mr. Posobiec the benefit of the doubt. If one knows what he's about, that is.

I did not know him either.

Dude, you don't have to explain that, you're one of the last people here to which I'd ascribe such motivation.  I'm speaking to the people in this thread making obvious attempts to label others as deceitful for stating they don't know much about this dude.  Saying you've never heard of Ted Cruz is implausible.  Saying you've never heard of AOC is implausible.  But Posobiec?  Damned household name apparently.  If you say you don't know much about him you're clearly lying.  Whatever

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 08:47 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: The mental gymnastics on display here by our right wing friends is truly a spectacle.

Did you just take a guess that if you inserted that here it would be accurate?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
To be fair I think our democracy over here ended about 60 years ago even though on paper we still have elections. That being said, never heard of this or this guy.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote