Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reply/Quote
The guy that oversaw "Sacksonville".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 01:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The guy that oversaw "Sacksonville".

He was also the DL coach for the Dolphins the past couple years.

2017 JAX - 55 sacks (2nd in league), 21st in rush yards allowed
2018 JAX - 37 sacks (22nd in league), 19th in rush yards allowed
2019 MIA - 23 sacks (last in league), 27th in rush yards allowed
2020 MIA - 41 sacks (11th in league), 16th in rush yards allowed

So I think there's some positivity, but it may not be elite or at least consistent.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Seems like a solid hire.
Reply/Quote
This seems like a good hire.

Why did he leave the Dolphins? Surprised he didn’t stick around there.
Reply/Quote
This guy sucks!!!..... First to say it.

Nah... I guess this is cool.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 02:22 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: This seems like a good hire.

According to press...they "mutually" decided to part ways

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Same guy that coached Reader through his college years, very good hire
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 03:20 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: Same guy that coached Reader through his college years, very good hire

I agree, glad that the Bengals actually interviewed multiple candidates, rather than just hiring the first guy that seemed agreeable.  I do find it to be a bonus that he coached Reader at Clemson.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 03:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree, glad that the Bengals actually interviewed multiple candidates, rather than just hiring the first guy that seemed agreeable.  I do find it to be a bonus that he coached Reader at Clemson.

Totally agree Sunset
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 03:20 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: Same guy that coached Reader through his college years, very good hire

Other players he coached in his career that are available this year:

Vic Beasly
Dawuane Smoot
Yannick Ngakoue
Jonathan Jenkins
Taco Charlton
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
This franchise is Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, showing signs of improvement like spending in FA and actually making decent/good positional coaching hires but at the same time making same ol' Bengals moves like keeping a coach way after their expiration date.
Reply/Quote
He has a much longer resume than Eason. So at least he’s coming with a lot of experience. Some good stops, too. I like it.

Reply/Quote
Wonder if he participated in the Dolphins Bengals brawl earlier this season lol. Awkwardddd
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 07:41 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Here’s what I’ve been asking for, for years. A coach that actually has a background as a pass rusher.

“As a player, Hobby was an All-SEC defensive end at Tennessee before being selected by the Minnesota Vikings in the third round of the 1990 draft.“

You mean like Nick Eason, the guy we just fired?  11 years in the NFL as a DE played for the Steelers (has a ring), Browns,  and Cardinals

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 02:22 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Why did he leave the Dolphins? Surprised he didn’t stick around there.

"It's always been my dream to work with a defensive minded genius like Lou Anarumo. The guy has the most brilliant football mind I've come across and when the opportunity arose I jumped at the opportunity" *

-Marion Hobby (on why he and the Dolphins mutually departed ways)

*After making that statement Marion just looked at the television camera and said "Psyche"
Reply/Quote
I view it as a ok decent hire,and upgrade. But not jumping up in joy. You actually need the players too. But maybe he will bring some guys in he knows.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 02:22 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: This seems like a good hire.

Maybe he was one of the people in Miami that was critical of Tua. There seems to be a lot of that in the news around Miami. 

When are teams going to learn that you don't draft Alabama QBs anymore? Sure if this was 1960 and it's Ken Stabler, or Namath or you can go 1950 and take Bart Starr, but that is a long long list of failure at QB since the 60's.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Sounds like a good hire to me. Dolphins Dline improved under his leadership. He did well in Jax as well. Knows Reader from Clemson. Knows our defensive system with the hybrid 3-4. Sounds like a good hire. Hopefully he has the vision to put the finishing touches on this unit. We've got some solid pieces already (starting with Reader).

Not sure what to expect with Geno (hope the injury is the only reason for his poor play this year). Dunlap seemed to float the idea that they were playing both Geno and himself out of their natural positions. It's tough to say if Geno should have just been shelved early to heal. He likely has a better impact healthy, but it's hard to say if he's still a good fit. I hope they get this sorted out and either move Geno (and replace him via the draft/FA), or keep him and he performs well.

Also need to figure out how to generate more pressure. Resign Lawson. Bring in another pass rusher as well via the draft. A healthy Reader likely makes our pass rush better. I'd like to see Mike Daniels back; He performed well. Some of the younger dlineman got some good playing experience this year as well. With a healthy roster, we should be a lot better (lots of injuries to Dline this year). It wouldn't be a bad idea to add another DT via the draft--although I think an edge rusher is a bigger immediate need.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 04:53 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Sounds like a good hire to me. Dolphins Dline improved under his leadership. He did well in Jax as well. Knows Reader from Clemson. Knows our defensive system with the hybrid 3-4. Sounds like a good hire. Hopefully he has the vision to put the finishing touches on this unit. We've got some solid pieces already (starting with Reader).

Not sure what to expect with Geno (hope the injury is the only reason for his poor play this year). Dunlap seemed to float the idea that they were playing both Geno and himself out of their natural positions. It's tough to say if Geno should have just been shelved early to heal. He likely has a better impact healthy, but it's hard to say if he's still a good fit. I hope they get this sorted out and either move Geno (and replace him via the draft/FA), or keep him and he performs well.

Also need to figure out how to generate more pressure. Resign Lawson. Bring in another pass rusher as well via the draft. A healthy Reader likely makes our pass rush better. I'd like to see Mike Daniels back; He performed well. Some of the younger dlineman got some good playing experience this year as well. With a healthy roster, we should be a lot better (lots of injuries to Dline this year). It wouldn't be a bad idea to add another DT via the draft--although I think an edge rusher is a bigger immediate need.

Why do people keep saying Mike Daniels performed well? He played 11 games with 17 (7 solo) tackles and no sacks, 1 TFL, 1 QB hit and no other stats. The whole DT room needs cleaned out except for Reader and maybe Wren and Tupou. Then draft somebody that can play DE in 3 man fronts and DT in 4 man fronts, in the first 3 rounds.
Reply/Quote