Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(01-17-2021, 01:47 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Why do people keep saying Mike Daniels performed well? He played 11 games with 17 (7 solo) tackles and no sacks, 1 TFL, 1 QB hit and no other stats. The whole DT room needs cleaned out except for Reader and maybe Wren and Tupou. Then draft somebody that can play DE in 3 man fronts and DT in 4 man fronts, in the first 3 rounds.

He’s not a pass rusher. He was a depth signing. I thought before his injury he had a good impact against the run. If we can resign him for depth I’d be good with it. But you may be correct. I’d certainly be happy to see a good Dt fall to us in the 2nd or later rounds. It’ll be interesting to see what Hobby does with the group.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 02:21 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I'd prefer to keep Covington over Daniels, if we retain either as a depth run stopper.

He filled in well for sure. With all the injuries, lots of young players got experience. Definitely a blessing in disguise. Hopefully they stay a little healthier this year. Reader will make everyone look better too.
Reply/Quote
meh....I guess it's better than hiring the assistant of the guy you just fired.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 01:47 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Why do people keep saying Mike Daniels performed well? He played 11 games with 17 (7 solo) tackles and no sacks, 1 TFL, 1 QB hit and no other stats. The whole DT room needs cleaned out except for Reader and maybe Wren and Tupou. Then draft somebody that can play DE in 3 man fronts and DT in 4 man fronts, in the first 3 rounds.

Numbers for DTs are never going to look glorious on some stat sheet.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 07:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He has a much longer resume than Eason. So at least he’s coming with a lot of experience. Some good stops, too. I like it.

Wonder why he would come here and play for a "in over his head HC"......... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 03:20 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: Same guy that coached Reader through his college years, very good hire

Excellent point. Reader needs to be the leader on defense as well.  I am sure that was a part of the design behind Hobby.  Hobby design?  Sounds like a store.  
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 11:37 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Numbers for DTs are never going to look glorious on some stat sheet.

Not for tackles, but sacks and TFLs they can.

There were nine DTs with 8+ TFLs in 2020.
There were seven DTs with 6+ sacks in 2020.

Daniels had 0 sacks, 1 TFL, and 1 total pressure.

I think the big thing with Daniels is people expected him to be near the level of old Geno Atkins. 
The reality is he hasn't had more than 2.0 sacks and 2 TFLs since 2017. He also wasn't good at pressuring the QB in either DET or CIN.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 02:21 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I'd prefer to keep Covington over Daniels, if we retain either as a depth run stopper.

Xavier Williams was our best IDL last year 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 03:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree, glad that the Bengals actually interviewed multiple candidates, rather than just hiring the first guy that seemed agreeable.  I do find it to be a bonus that he coached Reader at Clemson.

According to Bengals Wire....Reader played a bit of a role in getting this guy.

EDIT, link:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/17/dj-reader-clemson-connection-lure-marion-hobby-bengals/

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 01:26 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/16/cincinnati-bengals-hire-marion-hobby-dl-coach/

Nice grab, this guy has a nice Hobby of coaching good D-lines. Ninja

Seriously though, this guy has done a lot of great things. Love it.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 01:49 PM)samhain Wrote: Seems like a solid hire.

but why was he fired?
Reply/Quote

First off, he was a depth guy brought in. It's like asking your specialty relief pitcher to now give you two innings. You rarely measure DT's in stats. Bengals need a top DE and someone opponents have to account for and develop a scheme. Haven't had that since Carlos was wearing belle bottoms.

With the ability of the LB's, a really good DE brought in and a little more luck in the DL staying healthy I like this front 7.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 10:50 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: but why was he fired?

He wasn't
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 10:50 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: but why was he fired?

Position coaches only get 2 year contracts, I believe. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 02:45 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Position coaches only get 2 year contracts, I believe. 

okay he just either never gets retained or loves to move around lol
Reply/Quote
Glad to read about the Reader recommendation.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 09:45 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: okay he just either never gets retained or loves to move around lol

I believe he was a fall guy in Jacksonville. No idea why Miami didn't retain him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 02:34 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I believe he was a fall guy in Jacksonville. No idea why Miami didn't retain him.

Miami has been about as bad as us in decision making for awhile now.

I put no stock into it.

I like us getting Pollack and Hobby.
Reply/Quote