Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
0-1-1
(09-16-2018, 08:03 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I believe his foot was behind. Dan Fouts is a moron. It’s the whole body and the ball.

https://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/11_Rule8_ForwardPass_BackPass_Fumble.pdf
Quote:LEGAL FORWARD PASS Article 2  Legal Forward Pass. The offensive team may make one forward pass from behind the line during each down. If the ball, whether in player possession or loose, crosses the line of scrimmage, a forward pass is not permissible, regardless of whether the ball returns behind the line of scrimmage before the pass is thrown.
Reply/Quote
ARTICLE 2. LEGAL FORWARD PASS. The offensive team may make one forward pass from behind the line during each down. If the ball, whether in player possession or loose, crosses the line of scrimmage, a forward pass is not permissible, regardless of whether the ball returns behind the line of scrimmage before the pass is thrown.
Item 1. Illegal Passes. Any other forward pass by either team is illegal and is a foul by the passing team, including:
(a) A forward pass thrown when the passer is beyond the line of scrimmage.
Note: It is a forward pass from beyond the line of scrimmage if the passer’s entire body and the ball are beyond the line of scrimmage when the ball is released, whether the passer is airborne or touching the ground. The penalty for a forward pass thrown from beyond the line is enforced from the spot where the ball is released.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Tomlin’s sunglasses were cool tho
Reply/Quote
I was super surprised to see brown yelling at the offensive coordinator on the sidelines. Just doesn’t seem like something any of those divas would do.

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2018, 09:03 PM)michaelsean Wrote: ARTICLE 2. LEGAL FORWARD PASS. The offensive team may make one forward pass from behind the line during each down. If the ball, whether in player possession or loose, crosses the line of scrimmage, a forward pass is not permissible, regardless of whether the ball returns behind the line of scrimmage before the pass is thrown.
Item 1. Illegal Passes. Any other forward pass by either team is illegal and is a foul by the passing team, including:
(a) A forward pass thrown when the passer is beyond the line of scrimmage.
Note: It is a forward pass from beyond the line of scrimmage if the passer’s entire body and the ball are beyond the line of scrimmage when the ball is released, whether the passer is airborne or touching the ground. The penalty for a forward pass thrown from beyond the line is enforced from the spot where the ball is released.

That's a horribly written rule.  It specifically states that a forward pass is not permitted if the ball crosses the LoS, then states it's a penalty if the passer's entire body and the ball are beyond the LoS.

Although, looking at it again, the way the rule is written, if the ball crosses the LoS before being thrown, it's a penalty.  It states in a
Article 2 that if the ball crosses the LoS, a forward pass is not permitted.  Then, in Item 1, it states any other forward pass is illegal.  The passer being beyond the LoS is an example of illegal pass, not the definition of an illegal pass.  While the intent may very well be to allow passers to throw the ball after the ball has crossed the LoS, it's not worded that way.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2018, 10:02 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I was super surprised to see brown yelling at the offensive coordinator on the sidelines. Just doesn’t seem like something any of those divas would do.

I also lash out at people when I get shitty haircuts. Can’t fault him there.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2018, 10:02 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I was super surprised to see brown yelling at the offensive coordinator on the sidelines. Just doesn’t seem like something any of those divas would do.

If Brown will call Steelers beat writers racists for reporting injuries, I'm sure he feels held down by "the man" if his stats don't get padded enough.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2018, 10:08 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I also lash out at people when I get shitty haircuts. Can’t fault him there.

I think him and John conners barber is Edward scissorhands.

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2018, 08:03 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I believe his foot was behind. Dan Fouts is a moron. It’s the whole body and the ball.

Then we had Dan trying to figure out if and to who KC should throw to on 3rd at the end of the game with like 50 secs left and the Steelers no TOs.

That was classic stupidity from a former QB who you would think should know better.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2018, 10:46 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I think him and John conners barber is Edward scissorhands.

Be nice. Therapy took the front half of his hair.
Reply/Quote
At least Steelers fans can have a moral victory that the browns almost beat the saints. So the tie was pretty good outcome, right?

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2018, 10:04 PM)Whatever Wrote: That's a horribly written rule.  It specifically states that a forward pass is not permitted if the ball crosses the LoS, then states it's a penalty if the passer's entire body and the ball are beyond the LoS.

Although, looking at it again, the way the rule is written, if the ball crosses the LoS before being thrown, it's a penalty.  It states in a
Article 2 that if the ball crosses the LoS, a forward pass is not permitted.  Then, in Item 1, it states any other forward pass is illegal.  The passer being beyond the LoS is an example of illegal pass, not the definition of an illegal pass.  While the intent may very well be to allow passers to throw the ball after the ball has crossed the LoS, it's not worded that way.

It purely states right off, if the ball passes the LOS, no forward pass is permitted. The second part describing a forward pass from beyond the LOS is describing "forward pass from beyond line of scrimmage and the penalty for such an occurrence. In either case, the pass was illegal.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2018, 08:11 PM)6andcounting Wrote: He immediately screamed the ball has to be behind the line or it's a penalty.

I assumed it was a new rule change I hadn't heard of because that was never the rule previously. Nope, no rule change. Just Fouts making things up. Like that's not even confusing a rule or something - he just made up something and insisted it was true. He had no doubts about it either.

He was very, very surprised that the Steelers went for 2 after their TD when they were down by exactly 2 after scoring said TD. 

I noticed him striking out on a lot of situations yesterday.....like the last Chief's possession.  CTE?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2018, 07:20 PM)GMDino Wrote: Even when the Bengals are ahead of the Steelers Bengal fans complain about the refs.... Cool

They're laughable. Go over to the gameday thread from yesterday to see just how pathetic they are. It's a ***** fest about how the refs are in the bag for the Steelers. 

I posed this question to them yesterday and have yet to get a legitimate answer, so I'll do it here. There are some posters in this thread who aren't on that one.

The $64,000 question....
If the refs and the league favor the Steelers, then why with 12:00 left in the game and the Steelers down by 12 and needing two scores, do they penalize them for an illegal formation on a punt that AB returned to midfield? The result was a rekick that was returned only to the Pit 30. That penalty cost the Steelers nearly 20 yards of field position at a critical time of the game. If the refs are indeed trying to help the Steelers, that would be the exact time that they should exercise their influence and not throw the flag. 

If any of you Cincituckians can explain that to me without going into another long and convoluted conspiracy theory, then I will freely admit that you are right and there is a bias for the Steelers. 
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 02:46 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: They're laughable. Go over to the gameday thread from yesterday to see just how pathetic they are. It's a ***** fest about how the refs are in the bag for the Steelers. 

I posed this question to them yesterday and have yet to get a legitimate answer, so I'll do it here. There are some posters in this thread who aren't on that one.

The $64,000 question....
If the refs and the league favor the Steelers, then why with 12:00 left in the game and the Steelers down by 12 and needing two scores, do they penalize them for an illegal formation on a punt that AB returned to midfield? The result was a rekick that was returned only to the Pit 30. That penalty cost the Steelers nearly 20 yards of field position at a critical time of the game. If the refs are indeed trying to help the Steelers, that would be the exact time that they should exercise their influence and not throw the flag. 

If any of you Cincituckians can explain that to me without going into another long and convoluted conspiracy theory, then I will freely admit that you are right and there is a bias for the Steelers. 

I answered that already. You're just trollin'.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 03:14 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I answered that already. You're just trollin'.

No you didn't. You said they skirt the rules and give them more chances. That play did neither. They could've let them "skirt the rules' and not called the illegal formation. Don't throw the flag and give them better field position. 

At least your attempt was the better of the two. The other one had something to do with wanting the game to be more competitive so less people tune out and ad revenue goes up, so theres that. I give you a B- for effort. It was kind of weak. 
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 02:46 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: They're laughable. Go over to the gameday thread from yesterday to see just how pathetic they are. It's a ***** fest about how the refs are in the bag for the Steelers. 

The $64,000 question....

There was a call in one of the other games in week one (I can't remember which one) that was so blatantly wrong that I said if the want to control outcomes with calls they need to closer plays to do it on.

But then the other half of me thinks the officials are just bad.  The called a "encroachment" penalty on Pittsburgh yesterday (where they let the play go on...so maybe it was lining up in the neutral zone, who knows) that required the entire group of officials working the game to huddle up and talk for 2 or 3 minutes.

If it takes THAT much work to figure out offsides they need to find other work.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
In my opinion, there is too much gray area with some of the rules, and that leaves the rulings on them open to subjectivity.  It's human nature for people to be give the benefit of the doubt to the more popular/successful choice when it comes to being subjective.  Also, you don't really know if these guys are fans of certain franchises, and if that comes into play subconsciously. The officiating has gotten worse over the years across the league as well.

As for NFL bias, I have no doubt that good ol' Rog has a love fest with the Rooneys.  I mean, they delivered the news personally to his room when he was named commish, and he and ol man Rooney shared some tears and hugs.....and maybe more. Sick They hand picked him FFS.  Where you see the bias is in suspensions and fines.....or lack thereof......and not so much on the field.  For instance, how in the hell was Mike Munchak's fine rescinded for pulling Reggie Nelson's hair?  He did it on national TV FFS!  No fine on Shazier helmet to helmet, no fine on Jerry Porter (or rescinded too, don't remember).  That's just from one game, with one team.  It's pretty obvious to anyone being objective about it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 02:46 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: you are right and there is a bias for the Steelers. 

Finally, you get it.

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 04:28 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Finally, you get it.

#fakenews
Reply/Quote