Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1:1 with Marv and Dan Hoard
Link. Some cliff notes:

"They have to figure out how to win close games" That sounds like something that coaches should also take accountability for?

"We'll have a new OC, in Bill Lazor" -  Mellow  new?

"We recognize where we have deficiencies" - Yet you let your two best players walk?

"Our approach to FA has been consistent" - Yes, consistently bad.

"We lost three games in a row. We win those games, it's a hole different conversation." - What incredible insight: If we won the games we lost, people wouldn't call for me to be fired. Brilliant.  Hilarious  Hilarious
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
To be fair, and it infuriates me that I have to say this, but he's right. If they had won even two more games, they're in playoff contention. Given how ***** awful they looked early on in the season, that in itself is a tiny miracle.

"New OC" is probably in reference to Lazor having an actual off-season to implement his own system and playbook.

It's not just the deficiencies though. This team has no aggression to it. I can stomach losing games if the team is at least fun to watch. They're not. They're losing and they're boring as **** to watch. The defense in particular is toothless and it's simply maddening. I want that blood-thirsty defense back. I can deal with a game-managing offense, but they absolutely need to get more aggressive on the other side of the ball.

In terms of free agency, again, I'll believe that when I see it. Bringing in some proven offensive linemen through free agency would really help to open up the draft for us. Preferably guys that aren't a thousand years old.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Bottom line:

This team has to totally change how it does business, how it's ran, how it's coached, who's playing, using free agency and on and on.

If it's not evident to Mike Brown after 26 years his way doesn't work ?

We nee a total culture reboot, a new attitude ! Is this possible with Marvin and Mike ?

I have serious doubts
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 10:27 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Link. Some cliff notes:

"They have to figure out how to win close games" That sounds like something that coaches should also take accountability for?

"We'll have a new OC, in Bill Lazor" -  Mellow  new?

"We recognize where we have deficiencies" - Yet you let your two best players walk?

"Our approach to FA has been consistent" - Yes, consistently bad.

"We lost three games in a row. We win those games, it's a hole different conversation." - What incredible insight: If we won the games we lost, people wouldn't call for me to be fired. Brilliant.  Hilarious  Hilarious

I just watched/listened to the interview hoping the bolded statement would have been more clear based on the context of the discussion.
I was hoping to hear something along the lines of "Our approach to FA has been consistent...but we need to change that approach to take the next step."
Unfortunately, that was not the case and it doesn't really fit what he said in his press conference that this team would be more aggressive in FA.
Essentially, he made it sound like they had been approaching FA the right way all along and didn't state that the approach would change.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 10:37 AM)Big Boss Wrote: To be fair, and it infuriates me that I have to say this, but he's right.  If they had won even two more games, they're in playoff contention.  Given how ***** awful they looked early on in the season, that in itself is a tiny miracle.  

"New OC" is probably in reference to Lazor having an actual off-season to implement his own system and playbook.  

It's not just the deficiencies though.  This team has no aggression to it.  I can stomach losing games if the team is at least fun to watch.  They're not.  They're losing and they're boring as **** to watch.  The defense in particular is toothless and it's simply maddening.  I want that blood-thirsty defense back.  I can deal with a game-managing offense, but they absolutely need to get more aggressive on the other side of the ball.

In terms of free agency, again, I'll believe that when I see it.  Bringing in some proven offensive linemen through free agency would really help to open up the draft for us.  Preferably guys that aren't a thousand years old.

And if the Ravens or Bill would have won 2 more games then the Bengals would have been completely out of playoff contention, even if they did win 2 more games. 

We can play this game all day. The fact of the matter is that the Bengals DIDNT win those two games and they werent good enough to win those two games. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 10:48 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Bottom line:

This team has to totally change how it does business, how it's ran, how it's coached, who's playing, using free agency and on and on.

If it's not evident to Mike Brown after 26 years his way doesn't work ?

We nee a total culture reboot, a new attitude ! Is this possible with Marvin and Mike ?

I have serious doubts

Is it time to introduce the ATTITUDE ERA?! "Andy 3:16 said I just whooped your a**!"
[Image: 2d124eb26442462486caf5016b3b3317.jpg]
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis is the Dr Phil of NFL coaches. He spews simple truths and passes it off as team insight ? We have heard him say the same bullshit year in and out. Its obvious that the entire success of this team is based off the other coaches and coordinators because other than losing games with bad calls he doesn't have any true insight. If I were the Owner and my coach who has a tenure of two full presidential terms came to me with " We need to get more turnovers, do better on penalties, and finish games strong " I would punch him in dumbass face and fire him on the spot.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Did anyone really expect Marvin to get specific about anything?  If Hoard had asked what's 2+2 his answer would be somewhere between zero and ten trillion, but I'm not going to get specific..

Still being the homer I am and always will be I'm ok with it. At least he didn't come out and say YOU ALL SUCK AND IT'S YOUR FAULTS!  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 10:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I just watched/listened to the interview hoping the bolded statement would have been more clear based on the context of the discussion.
I was hoping to hear something along the lines of "Our approach to FA has been consistent...but we need to change that approach to take the next step."
Unfortunately, that was not the case and it doesn't really fit what he said in his press conference that this team would be more aggressive in FA.
Essentially, he made it sound like they had been approaching FA the right way all along and didn't state that the approach would change.

I just want them to be able to use it as a tool to fill holes they don't feel comfortable with getting in the draft. They knew(?) lineman were not deep last draft, so you should of tried to scrape together a few decent ones to help fill that void. I don't want them going overboard with signing massive contracts, but you have to be able to use it to fill out your roster with the draft. 

I believe they use FA, but they don't maximize it like they should. Just one or two decent to quality signings (not the Elite guys) would go a long way.
Reply/Quote
Marvin needs clinical help. So does Mike Brown. Group therapy would do wonders for this delusional couple
Reply/Quote
I can understand the reluctance to go after FAs after the many blowups they went through in the past. They went from trying to buy a team in free agency to barely signing any free agents and using the so called home grown approach and to some degree it's been successful, but not successful enough. 
I'm sure the Antonio Bryant move is still lingering in the offices of PBS.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 12:39 PM)grampahol Wrote: I can understand the reluctance to go after FAs after the many blowups they went through in the past. They went from trying to buy a team in free agency to barely signing any free agents and using the so called home grown approach and to some degree it's been successful, but not successful enough. 

Yea, that's the FA that burned MB big time. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 12:39 PM)grampahol Wrote: I can understand the reluctance to go after FAs after the many blowups they went through in the past. They went from trying to buy a team in free agency to barely signing any free agents and using the so called home grown approach and to some degree it's been successful, but not successful enough. 

And that's the sign of a bad organization. Rather than fear improvement via FA, they need to be doing analysis of why the prospects they brought in failed, where there any trends, and see how their process for FA can be improved.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Something worth pointing out with how the Bengals typically approach FA is they like to have a proven player at WR2.
If the team feels there's room to upgrade WR2 compared to LaFell and do it within a reasonable budget (probably $8 mill or less?) and they don't have confidence in any of the other receivers to step up yet into that role, we might see LaFell cut and use that cap savings ($4 mill) and put toward a new FA WR.

Proven WRs that I think won't break the bank but have produced at least one good season:
Marqise Lee
Terrelle Pryor (should come cheap after his debacle in DC)

I didn't list Sammy Watkins because I think there will still be some team that will offer him $10+ mill because they see him as a WR1, but I'd love to have him across from AJ.
I didn't list Eric Decker because he had just about as much production this past year as LaFell had and is about the same age. I don't see much improvement there.
I don't see Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry leaving their teams either and think they will get $12+ mill a year, which is too rich for MB.

EDIT - Although by my logic on Decker, Pryor wouldn't be a good candidate either because he produced LESS than LaFell and was supposed to be the top receiver with Reed out. So maybe that really just leaves Marqise Lee or Sammy Watkins if he can come at $8 mill or less.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 10:58 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: And if the Ravens or Bill would have won 2 more games then the Bengals would have been completely out of playoff contention, even if they did win 2 more games. 

We can play this game all day. The fact of the matter is that the Bengals DIDNT win those two games and they werent good enough to win those two games. 

Stop using logic. Marvin doesn't approve of that.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 10:37 AM)Big Boss Wrote: To be fair, and it infuriates me that I have to say this, but he's right.  If they had won even two more games, they're in playoff contention.  Given how ***** awful they looked early on in the season, that in itself is a tiny miracle.  

It's not just the deficiencies though.  This team has no aggression to it.  I can stomach losing games if the team is at least fun to watch.  They're not.  They're losing and they're boring as **** to watch.  The defense in particular is toothless and it's simply maddening.  I want that blood-thirsty defense back.  I can deal with a game-managing offense, but they absolutely need to get more aggressive on the other side of the ball.

In terms of free agency, again, I'll believe that when I see it.  Bringing in some proven offensive linemen through free agency would really help to open up the draft for us.  Preferably guys that aren't a thousand years old.

Completely agree Big Boss. Amazing we won 7 games with this uninspired play going on. Just shows we have good players.

Heard from Sunset we are interviewing Fangio the old DC from San Fan, he had a blood thirsty Defense back in the day.

Lets move on from Paulie, he is too soft for what we need here. Fangio or Del Rio would be perfect for us.
Reply/Quote
What is interesting, is that I didn't think our offensive line could have gotten worse from last year (gave up 41 sacks, 7 I think to the Jets on opening day in 2016) Boy, was I wrong. It did get worse this year (2017), much worse. ... haha I guess I'm still referring to 2017 as "this" year
Reply/Quote

Shoulda beat the Packers and the Steelers...ahh if the games were only 30 mins instead of 60
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 03:39 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Shoulda beat the Packers and the Steelers...ahh if the games were only 30 mins instead of 60

Don't forget the Texan game, if only Eifert had not step out of bounds before catching ball...
Reply/Quote
Answers spew more of the same.

Reply/Quote