Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1-13 has to be getting in players' heads
A streak like this has to wear a team down.

And we are not just losing. We are getting beaten down. After the nice showing on opening day we have been outgained by an average of 465 to 283.

This season is basically over and they still have 10 games to play.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 01:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A streak like this has to wear a team down.

And we are not just losing.  We are getting beaten down.  After the nice showing on opening day we have been outgained by an average of 465 to 283.  

This season is basically over and they still have 10 games to play.

Absolutely. And everyone knows that even if this team wins half of their remaining games, they'll end up with a worse record than last year.
The last time the Bengals had this type of perpetual losing, all the players were in grade school.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We've lost like 15 of the past 17.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 01:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Absolutely. And everyone knows that even if this team wins half of their remaining games, they'll end up with a worse record than last year.
The last time the Bengals had this type of perpetual losing, all the players were in grade school.

The worst part is that they are trying to win. If they liquidated all of their assets and had a treasure chest of high picks, it would make this tolerable atleast.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 01:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We've lost like 15 of the past 17.

Officially the new Browns.

Except we don’t have a proven GM to turn us around...

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 01:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Officially the new Browns.

Except we don’t have a proven GM to turn us around...

The Board is lucky to have posters such as me and you, and several others to navigate us through these tough times.
Reply/Quote
What are we, last in rushing and last in defending the run. Funny how that formula works.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 01:12 PM)Goalpost Wrote: What are we, last in rushing and last in defending the run.  Funny how that formula works.

You know, I posted last year the Top 10 offensive lines and LB's (as determined by PFF grades) and a very high percentage of the Top 10 in those areas made the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
It could mean they've grown accustomed to losing and that is hard to turn back around from a cultural (team) standpoint.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 01:14 PM)jj22 Wrote: It could mean they've grown accustomed to losing and that is hard to turn back around from a cultural (team) standpoint.

The way to turn around the culture would have been to bring in an entirely new staff AND ALSO SIGN SOME QUALITY FREE AGENTS. That's the path that teams like the Rams took.

Culture comes from the Top. Don't lose sight of that. Taylor meets with Bengals management EVERY day.

Now, it's going to be nearly impossible to turn around the culture for Taylor. IF he goes 3-13, he's going to lose credibility in a huge way.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 01:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The worst part is that they are trying to win. If they liquidated all of their assets and had a treasure chest of high picks, it would make this tolerable atleast.

Yes this is them trying.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 01:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The worst part is that they are trying to win. If they liquidated all of their assets and had a treasure chest of high picks, it would make this tolerable atleast.

It still wouldn't be tolerable, not 2019 at least. Clearly tanking would not magically add viewers. In fact, it would likely result in further reduction of viewers, merchandise, etc. All it really would do is give the team more excitement in the offseason for 2020.

At the end of the day, the fans want a winning record. Fans won't show up and/or be truly excited until they see it happen again. Cincinnati is not Cleveland. They won't pack the stadium and be eternal optimists just for the sake of having a local team. They'll rotate their attention to the Reds (who have had the best record they've had since 2014 and trending up). Cincinnati is a baseball city first and foremost. And that's because of the multiple championships and being the first team in the league.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 01:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It still wouldn't be tolerable, not 2019 at least. Clearly tanking would not magically add viewers. In fact, it would likely result in further reduction of viewers, merchandise, etc. All it really would do is give the team more excitement in the offseason for 2020.

At the end of the day, the fans want a winning record. Fans won't show up and/or be truly excited until they see it happen again. Cincinnati is not Cleveland. They won't pack the stadium and be eternal optimists just for the sake of having a local team. They'll rotate their attention to the Reds (who have had the best record they've had since 2014 and trending up). Cincinnati is a baseball city first and foremost. And that's because of the multiple championships and being the first team in the league.

Let's face it, as Bengals fans...the NFL season isn't our thing. The draft is.

This is the offseason for us. We're just waiting for the draft...and drafting another Drew Sample in the 2nd Round.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 01:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Board is lucky to have posters such as me and you, and several others to navigate us through these tough times.

No thanks.  I never want to treasure losing as much as you.  

I see you have already started a thread to whine about the 2020 draft.  I just don't understand what gets you guys so excited that you can't wait.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 01:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Let's face it, as Bengals fans...the NFL season isn't our thing. The draft is.

This is the offseason for us. We're just waiting for the draft...and drafting another Drew Sample in the 2nd Round.

Simply not true, not until recently anyway.
As much as I think we can all agree that Marvin hit a plateau, I still very much enjoyed most regular seasons with Marvin Lewis as HC. They at least were potentially in contention into December.
With that said, it was time for the franchise to try to do more. However, they have failed miserably in their attempt (thus far).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 01:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No thanks.  I never want to treasure losing as much as you guys.  

I see you have already started a thread to whine about the 2020 draft.  I just don't understand what gets you guys so excited that you can't wait.

Oh please. I absolutely hate losing. I hate getting made fun by other teams fans, and the football world in general. I hate that we’re wasting the careers of players like AJ and Geno. Needless to say, I hate a lot about how this franchise is run, and what it feels like to be fan of it.

But how is pointing out we’re the new Browns (and they’re the new Bengals) “treasuring” the losing?

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 01:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It still wouldn't be tolerable, not 2019 at least. Clearly tanking would not magically add viewers. In fact, it would likely result in further reduction of viewers, merchandise, etc. All it really would do is give the team more excitement in the offseason for 2020.

It's tolerable if you think you have competent NFL people with a plan.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 01:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Simply not true, not until recently anyway.
As much as I think we can all agree that Marvin hit a plateau, I still very much enjoyed most regular seasons with Marvin Lewis as HC. They at least were potentially in contention into December.
With that said, it was time for the franchise to try to do more. However, they have failed miserably in their attempt (thus far).

And the thing with Marvin is, maybe he was really good at the scouting side or finding a free agent that fit...and just an average coach.

To be a Bengals HC, you have to master so many different areas of football operations. It's nearly impossible to find that skillset. Basically looking for a modern-Bill Walsh.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 01:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Oh please. I absolutely hate losing. I hate getting made fun by other teams fans, and the football world in general. I hate that we’re wasting the careers of players like AJ and Geno. Needless to say, I hate a lot about how this franchise is run, and what it feels like to be fan of it.

But how is pointing out we’re the new Browns (and they’re the new Bengals) “treasuring” the losing?

Exactly. I despise how bad this franchise is.

Why can't we have the same parity that other fanbases get where their team atleast experiences playoff wins occasionally.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 01:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Oh please. I absolutely hate losing. I hate getting made fun by other teams fans, and the football world in general. I hate that we’re wasting the careers of players like AJ and Geno. Needless to say, I hate a lot about how this franchise is run, and what it feels like to be fan of it.

I edited you out of the post.
Reply/Quote