Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1/28 Mock with a Trade
We trade AJ McCarron to Houston for a 2nd and 3rd.

We cut "pacman"

We resign Whit and Dre K. Zeitler walks(my guess Seattle).

1.Corey Davis WR Western Michigan

2a.Taco Charlton DE Michigan

2b.Chidobe Awuzie CB Colorado

3a.Jordan Leggett TE Clemson

3b.Erik Magnuson T/G Michigan

4a.Anthony Walker LB Northwestern

4b.Kareem Hunt RB Toledo

4c.Daeshon Hall DE TAMU

5.John Toth C UK

6a.Zane Gonzalez K Az St

6b.Xavier Woods S La Tech

7.Antonio Pipkin QB Tiffin
Reply/Quote
I'd love this draft, I'd be stoked
Reply/Quote
Prefer butt to leggett but otherwise good
Reply/Quote
nice draft. My only question is what would Houston do with Osweilwer's salary? Did they shoot themselves in the foot?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2017, 04:49 AM)Shady Wrote: nice draft. My only question is what would Houston do with Osweilwer's salary? Did they shoot themselves in the foot?

Oh yes. I've read where they might be done with him already.
Reply/Quote
This has the look of a typical Bengals-style draft.
Waiting on LB until mid rounds - check
Tall, long, big DEs that win more with power than speed - check
Not drafting a center until Day 3 - check
Drafting a CB far too early only to not play him for at least two years - check

My question though - If only Whitworth and DK re-sign, Zeitler walks, and Jones is released, who takes up the rest of the cap space? Whitworth and DK combined will make no more than $25 million for 2017. Likely more like $20-22 million. Adam Jones release frees up over $6.5 million in cap space. There should still be about $10-15 million in cap space even after the typical amount is reserved for injuries, draft picks, and PS.

Based on the mock of drafting Hunt in the 4th, I assume you expect Burkhead to leave in FA.
Based on Davis being drafted in the 1st, I assume you expect LaFell to leave in FA.
Taco Charlton and Daeshon Hall should mean that Hunt and Gilberry are also not returning.

Surely the likes of Peerman, Winston, Peko, and TJ Johnson won't add up to $10 million? Nervous

With taking Leggett, which TE do you remove? Kroft or Uzomah? Or do you remove Hewitt since he was so underutilized in the offense in 2016?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2017, 05:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This has the look of a typical Bengals-style draft.
Waiting on LB until mid rounds - check
Tall, long, big DEs that win more with power than speed - check
Not drafting a center until Day 3 - check
Drafting a CB far too early only to not play him for at least two years - check

My question though - If only Whitworth and DK re-sign, Zeitler walks, and Jones is released, who takes up the rest of the cap space? Whitworth and DK combined will make no more than $25 million for 2017. Likely more like $20-22 million. Adam Jones release frees up over $6.5 million in cap space. There should still be about $10-15 million in cap space even after the typical amount is reserved for injuries, draft picks, and PS.

Based on the mock of drafting Hunt in the 4th, I assume you expect Burkhead to leave in FA.
Based on Davis being drafted in the 1st, I assume you expect LaFell to leave in FA.
Taco Charlton and Daeshon Hall should mean that Hunt and Gilberry are also not returning.

Surely the likes of Peerman, Winston, Peko, and TJ Johnson won't add up to $10 million?  Nervous

With taking Leggett, which TE do you remove? Kroft or Uzomah? Or do you remove Hewitt since he was so underutilized in the offense in 2016?

Yes I expect Burkhead to be signed by someone like the Ravens or Pats. I also believe Lafell will go somewhere else too, someone will offer him more than we will wanna pay.
Kroft and Uzomah have neither really shown a whole lot since we drafted them. I think whoever Leggett outperforms will be cut.

Hunt and Gilberry shouldnt be back but I wouldnt be surprised if 1 is not brought back. I think Peko will be back also but shouldnt. They should let Williams and Billings and the young guys play.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2017, 05:44 PM)pulses Wrote: Yes I expect Burkhead to be signed by someone like the Ravens or Pats. I also believe Lafell will go somewhere else too, someone will offer him more than we will wanna pay.
Kroft and Uzomah have neither really shown a whole lot since we drafted them. I think whoever Leggett outperforms will be cut.

Hunt and Gilberry shouldnt be back but I wouldnt be surprised if 1 is not brought back. I think Peko will be back also but shouldnt. They should let Williams and Billings and the young guys play.

If one of Hunt and Gilberry is brought back, there wouldn't be room for both Charlton and Hall. Given the Bengals would spend a 4th rounder on Hall in this scenario, I couldn't see them dropping Hall for either Hunt or Gilberry. So either of those vets would likely just be training camp insurance in case a DE went down to injury prior to the start of the season (hopefully).

If Peko is back, there's no room for Sims as long as Billings is healthy. There's no way to justify three run-stuffing NTs. So if Peko does come back, cutting Sims would return $1 million to the cap space.

Who starts at RG in your mind given the mock you created? Would it be Magnuson? Or would a starting RG be picked up in FA and Magnuson back up Fisher at RT?

EDIT - Also, Hewitt could be the culprit at TE if one is drafted. Many (including myself) really liked the addition of Hewitt at H-B, but we've seen his offensive snap count drop from 43% in 2014 to 35% in 2015 and then all the way to 20% in 2016. From reading the below Cincy Jungle article for why Hewitt is getting fewer and fewer snaps, it could be worth replacing him and going with a 4th TE.
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/10/19/13326324/why-ryan-hewitt-is-on-the-bengals-bench-so-often-2016
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2017, 06:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If one of Hunt and Gilberry is brought back, there wouldn't be room for both Charlton and Hall. Given the Bengals would spend a 4th rounder on Hall in this scenario, I couldn't see them dropping Hall for either Hunt or Gilberry. So either of those vets would likely just be training camp insurance in case a DE went down to injury prior to the start of the season (hopefully).

If Peko is back, there's no room for Sims as long as Billings is healthy. There's no way to justify three run-stuffing NTs. So if Peko does come back, cutting Sims would return $1 million to the cap space.

Who starts at RG in your mind given the mock you created? Would it be Magnuson? Or would a starting RG be picked up in FA and Magnuson back up Fisher at RT?

EDIT - Also, Hewitt could be the culprit at TE if one is drafted. Many (including myself) really liked the addition of Hewitt at H-B, but we've seen his offensive snap count drop from 43% in 2014 to 35% in 2015 and then all the way to 20% in 2016. From reading the below Cincy Jungle article for why Hewitt is getting fewer and fewer snaps, it could be worth replacing him and going with a 4th TE.
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/10/19/13326324/why-ryan-hewitt-is-on-the-bengals-bench-so-often-2016

I think they'll let Westerman start at RG and yes Magnuson back up Fisher at RT. They won't do it because it's NOT the bengal way but I would almost cut MJ this year too. Let Charlton and Hall play.....bring back hunt or gilberry on a 1 year deal.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2017, 07:16 PM)pulses Wrote: I think they'll let Westerman start at RG and yes Magnuson back up Fisher at RT. They won't do it because it's NOT the bengal way but I would almost cut MJ this year too. Let Charlton and Hall play.....bring back hunt or gilberry on a 1 year deal.

The only reason I see to cut MJ and have Gilberry or Hunt back instead is because of cap space issues. MJ, while he's definitely declined, is still better than both of these players combined.
The Bengal way is to keep their incumbent starter as the starter the following season, draft a player to groom as his replacement, and (slowly) give that new player more snaps over the course of his rookie contract or until the incumbent starter's contract is up. If the argument is to keep MJ vs Gilberry or Hunt, I'd prefer the Bengal way.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Love the draft expect for the Cory Davis pick. I think that's a major reach at #9.
Reply/Quote