Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1/29 Mock
I'm going into this one with the assumption that Higgins gets tagged, Reader is resigned or replaced in FA, and the club secured an actual starting quality TE in FA(for once). I also assume they will either get a cheap vet stopgap RT or are confident enough in Carman/Smith if they whiff in the draft.

When pick #18 rolled around, the only T left on the board worth the pick was Mims, who scares me death. It was basically reach for T, lesser reach for a WR, take Mims and pray, or just go BPA. I took a trade down from the Steelers for #20 and #84, but still found myself in the same boat, minus Mims as an option.

#20.Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama -Oooohhhh Yeeeeeaaahhh!!! Sorry, but I just couldn't resist. This was a strict "stick to your board" pick. Kool-Aid man is a Top 10 talent in my book, with plenty of length, great zone awareness, and sticky man coverage skills. Kid is also a top tier leader and communicator on the back end. Not a big need, but a Top 10 talent at a premium position is a nice consolation prize.

#49.Patrick Paul, T, Houston -Fortunately, T board fell my way in the 2nd and I was able to land Paul, a 6'7" powerhouse with incredible length. 4 year starter with a finisher's mentality, Paul should immediately step in and compete for the starting job.

#80.Johnny Wilson, WR, Florida State -Another case where the board fell my way allowed me to grab Wilson in the 3rd. Wilson is 6'7", 235+, and to me equates to a Mike Williams type WR2. A nasty blocker with great explosion and athletic ability, the kid is also putting in some work as a TE at the Senior Bowl, perhaps unlocking some scheme versatility as an H-back/move TE.

#83.Trey Benson, RB, Florida State -Compact frame at 6'1", 223 that makes great cuts and runs with power and a mean stiff arm. Also a plus pass protector.

#115.McKinnley Jackson, DT, Texas A&M-Developmental/rotational NT.

#147.Tommy Eichenberg, LB, Ohio State-Reserve 2 down LB and ST'er.

#174.Chau Smith-Wade, CB, Washington State -Nickel CB to groom and compete with Turner next year assuming Hilton leaves.

#195.Kamal Hadden, CB, Tennessee -I know, a third CB. Flyer on a kid who allowed a 7.0 passer rating last year.

#234.Frank Gore Jr., RB, Southern Mississippi -Versatile bench RB that can both block and be a threat as a receiver.

#251.Kingley Equakun, IOL, Florida-Zone scheme C with good athleticism that will likely need a year in an NFL weight training program. 0 sacks allowed in 901 pass pro reps.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Lot of talent in the first 5 picks. Johnny Wilson is very interesting. Add about 15 lbs and he could be TE.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 02:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Lot of talent in the first 5 picks. Johnny Wilson is very interesting. Add about 15 lbs and he could be TE.

Thanks.

Wilson is interesting and looks to have some versatility to him.  He's a better blocker than Hudson already and could replace/sub for him in those packages. I don't think I'd ever want him to bulk up to inline TE size, but I think he definitely help seal the edge crashing in from the slot or in a wack block out of motion and be a force in the screen game.  
Reply/Quote