Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1/4 of the season is already over
42 games, man that flew by. This murders row should cost the hitting coach his job, 42 games is too long to hit this bad as a team.

Barnhart .167
Votto. .207
Peraza. .207
Puig. .212
Senzel. .217
Winker. .219
Farmer. .231
Dietrich. .233
Suarez. .252
Iglesias. .289
Casali. .291

Calling for a man’s job is a drastic thing but this season is now 1/4 of the way over and he has to grade out as an F at this point. What else is there to do? Do you give him 50 or 60 games? I think that if they wait till the AllStar break, it will be too late for the philosophy change to matter. I really think that Bell has to land these guys in a set batting order and let them try to get into a routine groove too. Musical chairs isn’t working. I think it’s past time for management to, well manage. They need to lay down the law before the Reds are playing meaningless games with half of the year left again. I tried to get a couple of buddies to go down but they don’t want to make the drive with this kind of showing. It’ll just turn in to an abyss if they don’t start putting some wins on the board. I’m back into the boat of not making the drive myself. It’s been too many losing seasons. Once apathy sets in, an above .500 team won’t bring most fans back. They’re gonna need a Championship type of a team if this season slips into another 90 loss team. I’m pretty much broken hearted as a fan tonight because I realize that there probably hasn’t been a worse team in baseball over the last 5 years than the Reds. I’m a fan of the Reds and Bengals and both teams have given me way more crappy memories than good ones. I’m a fan of both sports and I’m not a fair weather fan and that equates to year after year of anger towards 2 ownerships that won’t go all in to win. It’s always half measures and terrible personnel decisions. I live in between Cincinnati and Cleveland, I’m actually closer to Cincinnati but almost everyone around here use to be Reds fans but are now Indians fans. The Bengals fans are all switching to Browns fans. I’m a die hard but it looks like Cincinnati would fight harder to keep its fanbase. Oh well, hope you enjoyed my aggravated and disappointed post.
Reply/Quote
By all means it's time for a change even if it doesn't occur .. This team could very easily be 20 games out of first place by the end of the month.. 2/w Cubs, 3/w Dodgers, 2/w Brewers, 3/w Cubs, 3/w Pirates and finally 1 with Nationals..9 @ home, 5 away..   20 out by June if no changes are made I'll be completely done following for the season..  Sad I'm pretty sure even the players will be done by then.. They'll show up for the paycheck, no more, no less.

Anyone have a direct email address for Castellini so we can write all our curse words to him? (Not that he'll care one iota as long as he makes $$$ from TV revenue.. )
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 01:27 PM)grampahol Wrote: By all means it's time for a change even if it doesn't occur .. This team could very easily be 20 games out of first place by the end of the month.. 2/w Cubs, 3/w Dodgers, 2/w Brewers, 3/w Cubs, 3/w Pirates and finally 1 with Nationals..9 @ home, 5 away..   20 out by June if no changes are made I'll be completely done following for the season..  Sad I'm pretty sure even the players will be done by then.. They'll show up for the paycheck, no more, no less.

Anyone have a direct email address for Castellini so we can write all our curse words to him? (Not that he'll care one iota as long as he makes $$$ from TV revenue.. )

I don’t have an address for ya, not that it would do any good. I imagine that the organization has a person with a small part of their job being to monitor social media to keep up with the general vibe of the fanbase. I figure they’ll be about 15 out by the end of the month. Their PR team did a good job this offseason with hype but the substance wasn’t there. They did seem to land a good pitching coach but the hitting coach and manager have both been horrible and there was zero indication that Bell would make a good manager, they were just keeping it in the family. The players that they got from the Dodgers have been flops, they were hyped to be saviors. Fans do get tired of BS and you’re looking at one here, I know that I’m not alone. I have a buddy that’s been a diehard since we were kids, about 20 games ago he told me that he’s had enough for the year and that his time is too valuable to spend watching incompetence. I try to have more of the Yogi Barra philosophy but when the field leader is baseball dumb then the fat lady has essentially sang before the season even begins. It’s baseball sadness and all we can do is wallow in it year after year after year after year after year. Enough already, fix it or sell it!!!
Reply/Quote
I noticed this today May 15th looking at stats in Fantasy Players others have & Free Agents. Castillo in Top 10 in pitchers in MLB so far. Then it drop down but not that bad. In the TOP 50 are Disco, Mahle, Roark, Gray. I'm looking at strike outs, innings pitched, ERA's. The thing is Mahle and Gray don't have a win yet, and it has to be no hitting.

Woods is out until at least June now. I don't know where he would pitch now anyway. You watch, about the time Wood is ready to pitch, somebody will get injured or something and Reds will need him, it always happens, a long season.

So I'm hoping these hitters can get Mahle and Gray a win quick and fast because they are putting up good numbers to both be without wins. Don't look now, but Mahle is turning into a strike out pitcher. He is on pace to have over 200 K's this year, not bad, and he isn't walking very many. Really all 5 Reds pitchers are on pace to have a lot of K's and good ERA's. Now if the Reds could just start hitting.

The bullpen is pretty good. Iglesias has had his ups and downs, but is on pace to have 30 to 40 saves.

The hitting is awful. Sometimes a player gets hot like Dietrich last week, but Bell decides to bench them half the time. Problem is these hot streaks wear off, each and every year. If somebody gets hot on this team, they need to get him in there before the pot cools.

The worst is Votto. People will say I don't know what I'm talking about and he is a Super Star. Votto wasn't that hot but had the good 2017 season as if back to MVP Votto of years ago. Then in 2018 some injuries and not a very good season. Now an awful 2019 season so far. I have to start wondering about injuries that have plagued his career. He is batting around .200 and has warning track power instead of home run power. Reds put up with injuries taking away his homer power in past when he was batting .300, but no power and .200 stinks. Now everybody says he will pull out of it. I was afraid of this and avoided Votto in Fantasy Drafts as much as Eifert in NFL. I've been burned drafting them before.

So on the quarter of season gone thread, the pitching is great, the hitting stinks especially Votto & his pay check, too early to tell on Bell and new coaches, way too early. Sparky said that when Reds fired Tony Perez and his assistant Dave Bristol as Reds Manager early one year. Sparky said Reds didn't give Tony any time at all. So it is way too early to judge Bell still trying to figure out which players he can count on.

I would like to see Reds get out of Last Place where they have been all season as in seasons past, but the NL Central is a tough league in that there are no weak teams. I think the other 4 teams are playing .500 ball or better. Then again, it's a long season.

It's rough if your Trout or Mookie Betts isn't hitting on a team. So Votto not hitting really hurts at the quarter mark. If Votto starts hitting, in the past that has always helped the other bats in the line-up as Votto wears down those pitchers. If I had him in Fantasy Baseball though, I would be wondering how long I can wait before cutting him for a Free Agent playing better. My eyes are on some Reds pitchers in Fantasy IF the hitters ever add wins to the K's and good ERA's they are posting.

The good news is 3 quarters of season to get out of last place. If they don't, the last quarter will be all about Bengals preseason and start of season.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 04:09 PM)kevin Wrote: I noticed this today May 15th looking at stats in Fantasy Players others have & Free Agents. Castillo in Top 10 in pitchers in MLB so far. Then it drop down but not that bad. In the TOP 50 are Disco, Mahle, Roark, Gray. I'm looking at strike outs, innings pitched, ERA's. The thing is Mahle and Gray don't have a win yet, and it has to be no hitting.

Woods is out until at least June now. I don't know where he would pitch now anyway. You watch, about the time Wood is ready to pitch, somebody will get injured or something and Reds will need him, it always happens, a long season.

So I'm hoping these hitters can get Mahle and Gray a win quick and fast because they are putting up good numbers to both be without wins. Don't look now, but Mahle is turning into a strike out pitcher. He is on pace to have over 200 K's this year, not bad, and he isn't walking very many. Really all 5 Reds pitchers are on pace to have a lot of K's and good ERA's. Now if the Reds could just start hitting.

The bullpen is pretty good. Iglesias has had his ups and downs, but is on pace to have 30 to 40 saves.

The hitting is awful. Sometimes a player gets hot like Dietrich last week, but Bell decides to bench them half the time. Problem is these hot streaks wear off, each and every year. If somebody gets hot on this team, they need to get him in there before the pot cools.

The worst is Votto. People will say I don't know what I'm talking about and he is a Super Star. Votto wasn't that hot but had the good 2017 season as if back to MVP Votto of years ago. Then in 2018 some injuries and not a very good season. Now an awful 2019 season so far. I have to start wondering about injuries that have plagued his career. He is batting around .200 and has warning track power instead of home run power. Reds put up with injuries taking away his homer power in past when he was batting .300, but no power and .200 stinks. Now everybody says he will pull out of it. I was afraid of this and avoided Votto in Fantasy Drafts as much as Eifert in NFL. I've been burned drafting them before.

So on the quarter of season gone thread, the pitching is great, the hitting stinks especially Votto & his pay check, too early to tell on Bell and new coaches, way too early. Sparky said that when Reds fired Tony Perez and his assistant Dave Bristol as Reds Manager early one year. Sparky said Reds didn't give Tony any time at all. So it is way too early to judge Bell still trying to figure out which players he can count on.

I would like to see Reds get out of Last Place where they have been all season as in seasons past, but the NL Central is a tough league in that there are no weak teams. I think the other 4 teams are playing .500 ball or better. Then again, it's a long season.

It's rough if your Trout or Mookie Betts isn't hitting on a team. So Votto not hitting really hurts at the quarter mark. If Votto starts hitting, in the past that has always helped the other bats in the line-up as Votto wears down those pitchers. If I had him in Fantasy Baseball though, I would be wondering how long I can wait before cutting him for a Free Agent playing better. My eyes are on some Reds pitchers in Fantasy IF the hitters ever add wins to the K's and good ERA's they are posting.

The good news is 3 quarters of season to get out of last place. If they don't, the last quarter will be all about Bengals preseason and start of season.
I agree with 90% of your post. The main thing that I disagree with is Bell. If he doesn’t do a 180, then he will continue to be terrible. Your complaint of benching a guy that’s on fire to let him get cold is a perfect example. Hitting is so hard and if you have a guy on a killer streak, let him ride it out, don’t put out the candle yourself. Wood was out because of his back at the end of last year and hasn’t been able to pitch for 9 months because of a back injury. I will guess that he is for sure done as a starter and maybe done all together. My thing is, how did he pass a physical for the trade to begin with? It’s sad if Votto is gonna continue to play like this or even slightly better and it will be crippling to this organization. Ownership seems to operate on emotions and has little foresight.
Reply/Quote
Hard to believe

This 14 game stretch they're in against Cubs, Dodgers, Brewers, Cubs, Pirates, or in other words some of the best in NL is already condition critical. They have to win 7, have to ! 8 or 9 would be fantastic. They go 4-10 and they're gonna be staring June in the face down 15 games or more.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 09:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Hard to believe

This 14 game stretch they're in against Cubs, Dodgers, Brewers, Cubs, Pirates, or in other words some of the best in NL is already condition critical. They have to win 7, have to ! 8 or 9 would be fantastic. They go 4-10 and they're gonna be staring June in the face down 15 games or more.

It was a great comeback Win tonight! They battled hard and Bell didn’t do anything extremely boneheaded. Let’s hope that they can get on a little roll here!
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 11:14 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: It was a great comeback Win tonight! They battled hard and Bell didn’t do anything extremely boneheaded. Let’s hope that they can get on a little roll here!

I'm hoping its the spark that lights the fire.
Reply/Quote
These guys are going to hit. It’s only a matter of time. Votto was slow out of the gate last year as well and I think he, Winker and some of the other guys are falling in love a little too much with the long ball at the moment. I expect the bats to awaken and result in a pretty good second half of the season for us. I don’t really see us as contenders this year but I wouldn’t rule out being in the wildcard hunt late in the season either. If we can get anything resembling last years Scooter, when he returns that would be a big lift to the lineup as well.
Reply/Quote
Miami is on pace for a 40-122 record
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Reds are going to finish again in last place in the division. Why not? Been that way for a few years now. lol
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote