Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$1.5t infrastructure plan to be announced today
(02-12-2018, 05:04 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Plus let’s allow he state governments figure out how much government they can handle every year. 

And if they can't afford to fix all their bridges then just risk letting a few people die, right?
(02-12-2018, 05:04 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This is why it’s public/private partnerships. Plus let’s allow he state governments figure out how much government they can handle every year. Might have to make some cuts to get some of these projects done.

Mike pence may have a different take on private/public, which hasn’t always worked as people hoped. As to states making cuts, some can. Not all though. There’s not always someplace left to cut, like Kentucky where there’s too many sacred cows (mostly in the form of breaks).

So you end up with joint problems, like years ago when some logistic companies would reroute around Indiana because the road were so horrible, sending truck drivers along 57 in Illinois. That impacted businesses along the Indiana- Kentucky route because Indiana opted not to maintain roads.

(02-12-2018, 05:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Nothing wrong with toll roads. Use them everyday. They are actually well maintained and the traffic on them is efficient.

I’m good with toll roads. I prefer tolls to increasing taxes, at least that way the actual user pays instead of everyone.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-12-2018, 05:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But they are not feasible in low traffic/population areas.

Ah they can make it work. They don’t need the federal government to just pay for it all.
(02-12-2018, 05:44 PM)Benton Wrote: Mike pence may have a different take on private/public, which hasn’t always worked as people hoped. As to states making cuts, some can. Not all though. There’s not always someplace left to cut, like Kentucky where there’s too many sacred cows (mostly in the form of breaks).

So you end up with joint problems, like years ago when some logistic companies would reroute around Indiana because the road were so horrible, sending truck drivers along 57 in Illinois. That impacted businesses along the Indiana- Kentucky route because Indiana opted not to maintain roads.

I’m good with toll roads. I prefer tolls to increasing taxes, at least that way the actual user pays instead of everyone.

I do not doubt that this is the beginning of states having to recalibrate in order to take care of he necessities. Some sarcred cows will have to be sacrificed or taxes will increase. The best part is each state can decide what’s best for them. It dovetails perfectly with so many states that already have balance budget amendments. It’s about time we see some financially sound budgets. Probably some public employee union contracts are going to get busted as we move forward in this new era hopefully.
(02-12-2018, 05:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And if they can't afford to fix all their bridges then just risk letting a few people die, right?

If they let people die so they can keep a terrible public employee union deal then they will be voted out. It’s time some decisions were made.
(02-12-2018, 05:44 PM)Benton Wrote: I’m good with toll roads. I prefer tolls to increasing taxes, at least that way the actual user pays instead of everyone.

This is one of the reasons why the gasoline tax has typically been a popular way to fund these sorts of things, the more you use it the more you pay.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-12-2018, 05:56 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If they let people die so they can keep a terrible public employee union deal then they will be voted out. It’s time some decisions were made.

I'll keep this in mind when it happens in rural Virginia, where we don't have a public sector union.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-12-2018, 06:03 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'll keep this in mind when it happens in rural Virginia, where we don't have a public sector union.

The same people who have the busy toll roads can also do a rural road and use the costs from the busy roads to cover short falls.
(02-12-2018, 06:07 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The same people who have the busy toll roads can also do a rural road and use the costs from the busy roads to cover short falls.

When you rob Peter to pay Paul you eventually get petered....
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-12-2018, 06:07 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The same people who have the busy toll roads can also do a rural road and use the costs from the busy roads to cover short falls.

They wouldn't be able to make up for the low-revenue areas without price gouging the hell out of people on the busy ones. And why should someone in Hampton Roads pay for a highway near Wytheville? They ain't ever going to drive on that road. Might as well keep it public and pay for it through taxes if you're going to redistribute the resources to that degree.

When Drumph was running for president how many times did he say we are going to build a wall and Mexico is going to pay for it, 50-60 times? Now he wants the American taxpayer to pay for the wall and then bill Mexico for it. He should be impeached for being a liar and a con man.
(02-12-2018, 05:55 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote:
I do not doubt that this is the beginning of states having to recalibrate in order to take care of he necessities.    Some sarcred cows will have to be sacrificed or taxes will increase.
  The best part is each state can decide what’s best for them.    It dovetails perfectly with so many states that already have balance budget amendments.   It’s about time we see some financially sound budgets.    Probably some public employee union contracts are going to get busted as we move forward in this new era hopefully.

But therein lies the problem. As with the Indiana/Kentucky issue years ago, Indiana didn't repair their roads and Kentucky businesses suffered.

What if Georgia decided to stop paving all lanes south of Macon heading south? What would Floridians do when tourism drops 5%? 
(02-12-2018, 06:38 PM)Benton Wrote: But therein lies the problem. As with the Indiana/Kentucky issue years ago, Indiana didn't repair their roads and Kentucky businesses suffered.

What if Georgia decided to stop paving all lanes south of Macon heading south? What would Floridians do when tourism drops 5%? 

It’s Florida. We could have gravel roads and people wil still come. Lol

I don’t think we will see this issue happen. Could it.... yes. But this will just pave he way for something else.
(02-12-2018, 06:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: They wouldn't be able to make up for the low-revenue areas without price gouging the hell out of people on the busy ones. And why should someone in Hampton Roads pay for a highway near Wytheville? They ain't ever going to drive on that road. Might as well keep it public and pay for it through taxes if you're going to redistribute the resources to that degree.

Sunpass fees pays for the turnpike all through Florida. The rural areas get taken care of and honestly south Florida and Orlando are the ones paying that bill.

People will pay more than you think.
(02-12-2018, 06:28 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: When Drumph was running for president how many times did he say we are going to build a wall and Mexico is going to pay for it, 50-60 times? Now he wants the American taxpayer to pay for the wall and then bill Mexico for it. He should be impeached for being a liar and a con man.

I'm pretty sure Trump admitted during his campaign that he was just saying what would get him elected.  We still voted him in, so we were warned .
(02-12-2018, 06:02 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is one of the reasons why the gasoline tax has typically been a popular way to fund these sorts of things, the more you use it the more you pay.

True, but, as I mentioned earlier, it's way behind on what would be needed to fund our current level of 'kicked down the road.' There's also the issue of not everyone who buys gasoline is using it on the road (mowing lawns, huffing, burning your ex-wife's dildo collection, powering generators, etc).
(02-12-2018, 11:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm pretty sure Trump admitted during his campaign that he was just saying what would get him elected.  We still voted him in, so we were warned .

I know he was just saying anything to his scared base to vote for him. I don't think during his campaign that he admitted to anyone that he was deliberately lying to them to get votes.
The right talk about Drumph's agenda.  His only agenda is to be king. Its the Repub's agenda. They put anything in front of him and he signs it. Drumph got the attention span of a five year old boy.

"We still voted him in, so we were warned "
Maybe you did.

Don't any of you Drumph voters feel like suckers that this con man played you?
(02-13-2018, 07:54 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: I know he was just saying anything to his scared base to vote for him. I don't think during his campaign that he admitted to anyone that he was deliberately lying to them to get votes.
The right talk about Drumph's agenda.  His only agenda is to be king. Its the Repub's agenda. They put anything in front of him and he signs it. Drumph got the attention span of a five year old boy.

"We still voted him in, so we were warned "
Maybe you did.

Don't any of you Drumph voters feel like suckers that this con man played you?

I'm having no luck finding it, so I guess I can't assert it was real.  He was being interviewed by a black male on some news program during the campaign and he was asked if he would really carry out all the extreme things he said he would if elected and Trump said something to the tune of "Oh no, I'm just playing things up to get a reaction, when I'm elected I won't be so extreme" or something to that effect. There are videos available of the different ways Trump acts when he's being interviewed one on one for the cameras and when he's at a podium yelling what people want to hear and get riled up about.

It's surprisingly difficult to find a specific video of Trump lying/deceiving/breaking campaign promises these days.

Anyways, I didn't vote for Trump, but we as a people did.  We're all in this same boat, so it's a we thing unless I defect to Canada or drop dead. And Trump voters won't ever feel like they got the short end of the stick as long as they were convinced Trump not winning was going to lead to the end times.
(02-12-2018, 09:45 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Sunpass fees pays for the turnpike all through Florida.  The rural areas get taken care of and honestly south Florida and Orlando are the ones paying that bill.  

People will pay more than you think.

But there is added costs to building toll roads e.g. gates, toll booths, the agency needed to print, sell, and distribute passes.

So why go to all that expense if you are going to spread out the cost and make people all over the state pay for roads that they don't use.  i would be much smarter to save the extra expenses required to run a toll road and just build it with tax money.
(02-13-2018, 01:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But there is added costs to building toll roads e.g. gates, toll booths, the agency needed to print, sell, and distribute passes.

So why go to all that expense if you are going to spread out the cost and make people all over the state pay for roads that they don't use.  i would be much smarter to save the extra expenses required to run a toll road and just build it with tax money.

Let those who use it pay.