Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#1 Overall Rookie QB's and Their Backups
Here is a list of QB's taken #1 overall since the year 2000, and their respective backups, and/or veteran counterparts. (Note: Not all started. See Carson Palmer or Baker Mayfield who came in behind Tyrod Taylor for examples.)

This, I think, serves as a decent discussion piece, as you have a great deal of history to sort through. Obviously I could've delved into even deeper, and included other high picks but that would have taken forever.

Anyways, for your viewing pleasure...

Rookie --------------------- Veteran -------------- - Experience ------------ Games Played

Kyler Murray (2019) ------ Brett Hundley ------- 2 Years Experience, 15 Games Played

Baker Mayfield (2018) ---- Tyrod Taylor -------- 7 Years Experience, 58 Games Played

Jarred Goff (2016) ---------- Case Keenum ----- 4 Years Experience, 16 Games Played

Jameis Winston (2015) ----- Mike Glennon ----- 2 Years Experience, 19 Games Played

Andrew Luck (2012) ------- Drew Stanton ----- 4 Years Experience, 21 Games Played

Cam Newton (2011) -------- Derek Anderson --- 7 Years Experience, 51 Games Played

Sam Bradford (2010) ------- AJ Feeley ----------- 9 Years Experience, 25 Games Played

Matt Stafford (2009) -------- Dante Culpepper – 10 Years Experience, 97 Games Played

Jamarcus Russell (2007)----- Josh McCown ------ 5 Years Experience, 35 Games Played

Alex Smith (2005) ------------ Tim Rattay --------- 5 Years Experience, 28 Games Played

Eli Manning (2004) ----------- Kurt Warner ------- 6 Years Experience, 53 Games Played

Carson Palmer (2003) -------- Jon Kitna ----------- 6 Years Experience, 69 Games Played

David Carr (2002) ------------ Chris Weinke -------1 Years Experience, 15 Games Played (Note: Weinke was 29 years old)

Michael Vick (2001) ---------- Chris Chandler ---- 12 Years Experience, 130 Games Played
Reply/Quote
Was Sam Bradford in the league last year? I thought Brett Hundley was Kyler Murray's backup.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 06:37 PM)kacymcbryant18 Wrote: Was Sam Bradford in the league last year? I thought Brett Hundley was Kyler Murray's backup.
You are right.  I just checked the depth chart.  Bradford was the one guy I didn't pull up on Wiki. I did not realize they cut him before his deal was up.

Will edit OP.  Thanks. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 06:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Here is a list of QB's taken #1 overall since the year 2000, and their respective backups, and/or veteran counterparts. (Note: Not all started. See Carson Palmer or Baker Mayfield who came in behind Tyrod Taylor for examples.)

This, I think, serves as a decent discussion piece, as you have a great deal of history to sort through.  Obviously I could've delved into even deeper, and included other high picks but that would have taken forever.

Anyways, for your viewing pleasure...

Rookie ---------------------  Veteran -------------- - Experience ------------ Games Played

Kyler Murray (2019) ------ Brett Hundley ------- 2 Years Experience, 15 Games Played

Baker Mayfield (2018) ---- Tyrod Taylor -------- 7 Years Experience, 58 Games Played

Jarred Goff (2016) ---------- Case Keenum ----- 4 Years Experience, 16 Games Played

Jameis Winston (2015) ----- Mike Glennon ----- 2 Years Experience, 19 Games Played

Andrew Luck (2012) -------  Drew Stanton  ----- 4 Years Experience, 21 Games Played

Cam Newton (2011) --------  Derek Anderson --- 7 Years Experience, 51 Games Played

Sam Bradford (2010) -------  AJ Feeley ----------- 9 Years Experience, 25 Games Played

Matt Stafford (2009) --------  Dante Culpepper –  10 Years Experience, 97 Games Played

Jamarcus Russell (2007)----- Josh McCown ------ 5 Years Experience, 35 Games Played

Alex Smith (2005) ------------ Tim Rattay --------- 5 Years Experience, 28 Games Played

Eli Manning (2004) ----------- Kurt Warner ------- 6 Years Experience, 53 Games Played

Carson Palmer (2003) -------- Jon Kitna ----------- 6 Years Experience, 69 Games Played

David Carr (2002) ------------ Chris Weinke -------1 Years Experience, 15 Games Played (Note: Weinke was 29 years old)

Michael Vick (2001) ---------- Chris Chandler ---- 12 Years Experience, 130 Games Played

Is the argument here that the QBs with more experienced back-ups fare better?
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 08:09 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Is the argument here that the QBs with more experienced back-ups fare better?

No, not at all. It's just a look at what level experience teams have chosen in the past to pair with their rookie QB's.  I'm not really trying to argue that X amount of games played is required for Y amount of success.

I will say, pairing a rookie QB with someone who has 1 year experience and 3 games played (Finley), or 1 year of experience and 0 games played (Dolegala) would be far from norm.
Reply/Quote
I know you are only talking about #1 overall rookie QB's Wes but wasn't Gradkowski Dalton's back up when he came in?

Might be more relevant to us as Dalton had a fine rookie season even if he was a 2nd rounder and he made the Playoffs
his rookie year. Still wanting to bring in Matt Moore as a backup and let Finley go, Dolegala brings more to the table IMO.
Reply/Quote
That list is so all over the place, that no reasonable correlation can be made between a #1 pick QB, and the experience level of his backup. Why in the hell is this even in JN?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 08:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I know you are only talking about #1 overall rookie QB's Wes but wasn't Gradkowski Dalton's back up when he came in?

Might be more relevant to us as Dalton had a fine rookie season even if he was a 2nd rounder and he made the Playoffs
his rookie year. Still wanting to bring in Matt Moore as a backup and let Finley go, Dolegala brings more to the table IMO.

He was.  Fwiw, if he were to be added to this list, his numbers would be... 5 years experience, 31 games played.

I really don't think a backup will make much of any difference to Burrow's numbers or performance as a rookie.

I do however think people severly under-estimate the value of a having a veteran presence in the QB room for Burrow to lean on, as his transitions to the pro game.

This extends well beyond simple X's and O's, or their teaching that many seem to dismiss. This extends to all the things surrounding the game and the life of a professional athlete.

I don't care how well coached or how good a prospect is.  When you go from a 22 year old kid playing college ball to a professional athlete worth tens of millions of dollars, that's a lot to digest.

There's agents, investments, team politics, training routines and dietary programs, sponsorships, charities, houses vs condos to buy or owning vs renting, neighborhoods, life advice.

While you can lean on coaches, and your parents, or any number of people for help in these areas; a guy who's actually been in that situatio at your age, and has prospered, can greatly help you navigate some of that.

And some may scoff at this as nonsense.  But I think most people, when they entered the workforce had older peers that they learned much from, even outside of the job.  When you're that age it's nice to have someone a few years older to lean on, and will bust your balls from time to time when needed.

Sorry for the long winded reply, and I'm not even sure I explained myself properly.  I just think too many on here don't consider much of what a vet offers beyond the obvious.  And I 100% agree with you on Matt Moore.  He would be perfect for the role!
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 09:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That list is so all over the place, that no reasonable correlation can be made between a #1 pick QB, and the experience level of his backup.  Why in the hell is this even in JN?
Because we currently have a #1 overall pick, and much recent discussion has been had about whether or not we need a veteran added to the team?

This list is simply to compare what others have chosen to pair with their rookie QB's.  And I thought we could maybe generate a decent discussion about whether or not we should "buck the trend" so to speak.

I'm really not sure how it's "so all over the place".  It's numbers listed for interpretation.  And I thought it was obvious as to how it relates to JN.  But my apoligies if that wasn't made clear.

I have to say, reading between the lines of your post, it's clear there's a tint of anger there. ("Why the hell")  You can leave this thread here if you feel like it, that's fine.  But this isn't the first time you've moved one of my posts.  And from my perspective it isn't the first time it seemed to be singled out, and held to a different standard than so many others you seemingly ignore and leave up on JN.

That's ok.  I spent a bit of time on this, which is now wasted as it will be burried here. Just go ahead and delete the thread.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 09:27 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Because we currently have a #1 overall pick, and much recent discussion has been had about whether or not we need a veteran added to the team?

This list is simply to compare what others have chosen to pair with their rookie QB's.  And I thought we could maybe generate a decent discussion about whether or not we should "buck the trend" so to speak.

I'm really not sure how it's "so all over the place".  It's numbers listed for interpretation.  And I thought it was obvious as to how it relates to JN.  But my apoligies if that wasn't made clear.

I have to say, reading between the lines of your post, it's clear there's a tint of anger there. ("Why the hell")  You can leave this thread here if you feel like it, that's fine.  But this isn't the first time you've moved one of my posts.  And from my perspective it isn't the first time it seemed to be singled out, and held to a different standard than so many others you seemingly ignore and leave up on JN.

That's ok.  I spent a bit of time on this, which is now wasted as it will be burried here. Just go ahead and delete the thread.

Blah!  Never ONCE, have I ever read or heard Peyton Mannings say a word about all of the guidance and advice he received from a guy like Doug Nussmeier.   Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Im still trying to wrap my head around why we are having so much discussion about not trying to improve the single backup behind our starting QB.. i really don;t get it.. We are not like talking about signing the guy to a multi year contract.. im guessing 1 year contract
Reply/Quote
I'm not so sure NFL teams place that much emphasis on who they have a backup QB when drafting a high pick QB. Typically they're rebuilding.

I mean "we're gonna draft a 1st round QB so here's our priority get list this offseason"

1. Backup QB
2. LT
3. WR

I don't think I'm going out on to much of a limb to say it just kinda unfolds how it unfolds. Of the 14 guys listed how many were already on the team ?
Reply/Quote
I too have spent a fare amount of time researching something in the hopes that it gives me an idea of a trend or basis for something else and then realized there's basically no trend.

It feels bad, for sure.

With that said, I think one thing you can divine from this list is that it doesn't really matter who the back up is, because virtually all of those teams would have been sunk if the ball were handed to the back up anyway haha. A handful of them could have seen their back up as a mentor, like Dante Culpepper or Kurt Warner, but the majority would not.

Feel bad for Tyrod Taylor though.

He's been drafted behind and replaced by first round QBs his entire career haha (drafted behind Flacco, replaced by Allen in Buffalo, replaced by Mayfield in Cleveland and replaced by Herbert in LAC).

This list tells me that we would be fine either way. The back up doesn't seem to correlate with the rookie's success, at least not at face value.
Reply/Quote