Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
1 of 11
Two scenarios

Would you rather be say 5-3 at the half way point, and then go 2-6 the rest of the way, with young guys you thought had put it together struggling at the end of the year to go 7-9.

Or

Go 2-6 the first half and 4-4 the second half with young core pieces emerging and showing improvement as the year goes on? 6-10

Obviously 7-9 is a better record, but...

Answer is easy to me.

There was never going to be a Super Bowl this year. We've been waiting 30 years for a single playoff win, I think we can give the young team a couple years to gel and hopefully make a run. The improvement and process of getting better is what's important this year to me as a viewer, not the end record.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 01:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I was expecting anywhere between 5 and 7 wins.

That can still happen.  Turns out the Chargers are a good team and I think the Browns will be a good team too.  People have been talking for three or four years about how good their roster is.  Maybe now they have the right coach.

I guess I'm in the minority but I don't see shame in losing to either of those teams.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 06:23 PM)McC Wrote: That can still happen.  Turns out the Chargers are a good team and I think the Browns will be a good team too.  People have been talking for three or four years about how good their roster is.  Maybe now they have the right coach.

I guess I'm in the minority but I don't see shame in losing to either of those teams.

I didn't say they couldn't and I apologize if it was implied.
5-7 wins is still a big improvement over last year, and yes it's still achievable.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 06:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I didn't say they couldn't and I apologize if it was implied.
5-7 wins is still a big improvement over last year, and yes it's still achievable.

I was agreeing with you and I apologize if it seemed otherwise.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 10:20 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: There was no one in the fan base who, after the free agency period (where we spent a bunch of money on our defense) and the draft (when we spent a bunch of resources on rebuilding our Linebacking corp and our QB and WR of the future), was not concerned about the offensive line.

We heard the fluff. Michael Jordan is actually looking super good! Jonah Williams looks like a 10 year veteran at LT! Bobby Hart totally isn't a terrible RT, guys!

I think some people bought in to the idea that maybe the Oline would be fixed enough to be competitive.

But I don't think anyone believed the Oline was no longer a weakness of the team.

We'll improve the Oline next off season. We are still at least 1 season away from playoff contention. Maybe 2 seasons.

But that doesn't mean we can't enjoy the hell out of watching Joe Burrow be an actual legitimate threat at QB for us. The first time we've had a QB who didn't need to be given a bunch of playmakers to "make him better" since at least 2007, if not 2005.

I'm going to enjoy the ride no matter how many games we win. Joe Burrow is just that special.

Pretty much the case. What I want to see is if all the FA defensive changes work out. That is the unit where no excuses apply. ZT guys all over D. I’m not dropping them down the outhouse yet. Wayne going down is bad, but let’s see the depth.

On offense I didn’t expect AJ to be a dominate guy anymore. No disappointment so far.
Joe Burrow is looking fantastic and for those of you lucky enough to regularly see him play, the season will be worth watching.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 02:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I expected 5-7 because of:
- Burrow would make some plays that we wouldn't normally see Dalton make
- Williams I thought would come in and maybe struggle at times initially but ultimately become the best OL on the team and be solid or above average
- Reader was better than Billings at NT
- AJ Green and John Ross healthy would boost the passing game
- Nowhere to go but up for the LBs
- Waynes and Alexander seemed like an upgrade over DK and Dennard

Reasons I didn't expect 8 or more wins:
- Hart was still RT
- XSF, who hadn't played RG prior in the NFL, was coming in to replace Miller, who was second-best OL on the team last year
- I didn't think Jordan would grow into a solid-or-better LG (at least until next year)
- LBs probably weren't going to be stellar with so many new faces

Did you think Burrow would be an upgrade over Dalton? 
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2020, 08:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Did you think Burrow would be an upgrade over Dalton? 

Somewhat, yes.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The only hope we have is if the team goes on a 10 game winning streak.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 06:23 PM)McC Wrote: That can still happen.  Turns out the Chargers are a good team and I think the Browns will be a good team too.  People have been talking for three or four years about how good their roster is.  Maybe now they have the right coach.

This.   The big problem on offense Thursday night was right guard.  Bobby had his requisite failures, but Johnson killed us.   I was shocked how bad the D line played - especially Dunlap - but if we get at least Daniels back (I fear that Geno is just not going to have a good season with a messed up shoulder) I think the D-line will snap back, and the linebackers are young or slow.

I also think it's going to take AJ some games to get back to speed.   I don't think he'll be that slow all year - and Ward is a beast.  He also has not had the reps to get on the same page as Burrow.

Even though he's slow, they should use Tate.  I have a lot of confidence in him in the crunch.   Ross can do great things, but is just not a money receiver.

I don't think this is over by a long shot.   BAD year to not have OTAs and a pre season with so many rookies and other new players.  They're going to need some time to get the chemistry going.   But I'm really hoping XSF is back soon.   Them other guys is tragic!
Reply/Quote
I honestly had no expectations going into this year, simply because of not having OTAs or preseason. I'm not really hung up on what their record will be, I'm more interested in whether or not they make any progress over last year. Yes, they are 0-2, it sucks. But they're showing promise and they aren't giving up. I'll take what I can get.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2020, 10:44 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Somewhat, yes.

Only asking because you didn't list it...
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2020, 04:12 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Only asking because you didn't list it...

I said...
Quote:Burrow would make some plays that we wouldn't normally see Dalton make

To me that's somewhat yes.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2020, 02:19 PM)3wt Wrote: This.   The big problem on offense Thursday night was right guard.  Bobby had his requisite failures, but Johnson killed us.   I was shocked how bad the D line played - especially Dunlap - but if we get at least Daniels back (I fear that Geno is just not going to have a good season with a messed up shoulder) I think the D-line will snap back, and the linebackers are young or slow.

I also think it's going to take AJ some games to get back to speed.   I don't think he'll be that slow all year - and Ward is a beast.  He also has not had the reps to get on the same page as Burrow.

Even though he's slow, they should use Tate.  I have a lot of confidence in him in the crunch.   Ross can do great things, but is just not a money receiver.

I don't think this is over by a long shot.   BAD year to not have OTAs and a pre season with so many rookies and other new players.  They're going to need some time to get the chemistry going.   But I'm really hoping XSF is back soon.   Them other guys is tragic!
I have that same fear.

Also, I agree with everything else you said.

Reply/Quote