Paris Johnson Jr.
Bryce Young
CJ Stroud
Other?
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#1 overall for the Bengals
This may be pointless but I can't think of a better thing to do with a week left than engage in pointless debates...

Who would you take if we had #1 overall this year? The only caveat being that you can't trade down since that would defeat the purpose of the question. I guess you could draft and stash a guy (e.g., Bryce) but you'd have to keep him for at least a year. So I guess two caveats. Or one and a half. I digress...

I'm just curious who we'd target. There are at least 10 compelling names I've seen floated for #28- more than I can remember- and it really speaks to the fact that this team can go in multiple directions and, when healthy, has no gaping holes. Holes- yes. Gaping- no. You could make a case for TE, of course, but only to the extent that this team even features TEs. RT? Sure, always. But a lot less urgent than it would be if we didn't have 3 (arguably 4) of the other spots locked up.

-

My guy is Christian Gonzalez. I love the trajectory he's on. Young and getting better, with physical traits that really lift his ceiling. He also tends to play up to the level of his competition, which is nice for guys transitioning to the top league in the world. He's unproven to some extent but I expect Lou to dial down the zone in favor of press man now that Bates and his extraordinary range are gone... although I reserve the right to be wrong about that. Either way, I figure he could use a guy who can be left on an island, which suits Gonzalez's game just fine. And with questions around Chido's status, he could be a good fit in that sense too.

Anderson's awesome, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't join the march to protest that pick either. Hendrickson's playmaking the past two seasons has been a joy to watch. Adding a Will Anderson Jr (!) would give us the most fearsome rotation of edges (if not overall line) in the league imo. I just think we could use a bit more help in the backfield than up front.

So Goodell's walking up to the platform. "With the first pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select ______" ?
Reply/Quote
I’d take Tyree Wilson. Bookend edge rusher until Hendrickson walks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd trade back... which should tell you a lot about the draft class.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Part of me wanted to say Gonzalez, but no DB has ever been selected 1st overall in history.
Not since Keyshawn Johnson (1996) has any position other than QB, OT, or DE been taken at 1st overall.
As such, I'm gonna not "reach" for a CB then and go with Will Anderson Jr.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 02:22 PM)Synric Wrote: I'd trade back... which should tell you a lot about the draft class.

This without a doubt.

Terrible WR, DT, OT, S, LB class.

Mediocre QB class

Decent IOL, DE class

Good CB, RB and TE (recency bias?) class

IMHO

Reply/Quote
Jalen Carter is the best player in the draft. Period.

But, if Duke, Zac, and the boys don't like the character concerns, Anderson is the pick.
Reply/Quote
I would take Jalen Carter, character risks and all. He is everything this defense needs. He is incredible as a pass rusher and run stopper from the inside and would make life easier on every other player on the defense.

If the Bengals were picking, I think they'd go Will Anderson, because this coaching staff and front office has been very averse to character concerns in the last 3 to 4 years. We don't necessarily need an edge rusher since Hendrickson, Ossai, Hubbard and Basham are all good to great players, but it'd be a luxury pick that would upgrade our situational pass rushing downs until Hendrickson leaves in 2025, at which point Anderson would be the new starting RE.

If I had the option though, I'd trade down. Getting 2 first round picks and a star player like the Bears did (or, alternatively, 3 first round picks + a few other picks) would be too much value to not trade down for.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 02:37 PM)casear2727 Wrote: This without a doubt.

Terrible WR, DT, OT, S, LB class.

Mediocre QB class

Decent IOL, DE class

Good CB, RB and TE (recency bias?) class

IMHO

Well the op did say no trade downs. The point of the post is who would you take at number 1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Tyree Wilson I think could become the next great pass rusher. 6'7" 275 pound freak with crazy strength, speed and bend.

That is who I would take #1 overall.
Reply/Quote