Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nice defensive gameplan well executed
The D did quite a nice job against the Rats today.

The plan was actually pretty close to what I predicted in other threads - take away Andrews and Brown and make Jackson put the ball into tight spaces. And aside from one blown coverage on Brown (where I could make a case that he did not control the ball as he went OOB) they pretty much did exactly that.

What was also noteworthy was the DL both got pressure AND was stout against the run without needing the D to cheat up - this meant we could stay in tighter and smaller zones so we did not have Rat receivers sitting in giant holes in zones (like they were against the Chargers and Colts).

Put these together and you saw what happens when Jackson has to be accurate (as opposed to just strong armed) and show touch - he isn't very good. He has slightly below average accuracy and very below average touch - this was a rap on him his whole career and in the playoffs where he has looked bad is what opposing defenses keyed on.

And also crucial was the SUPERB job of contain from the DL - by sealing the edges they made Jackson's running largely harmless and aided the pressure in getting home.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Keeping him in the pocket was the key to the game and not overreacting towards his runs.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Exactly. We stopped their run game (stoned everyone else and made Jackson’s runs largely harmless) without needing to sell out to stop the run. It made Jackson have to beat us with accurate passing into windows much smaller than he is used to - and he isn’t that accurate and lacks touch.

The nice thing is the same strategy concept would not work on us because Burrow is actually special on his accuracy and touch.
Reply/Quote
I LOVED how the edge rushers would STOP and turn back in towards the pocket, instead of just continuing upfield and letting Jackson step up and run.
He still did it a FEW times, but I think the Bengals 5 sacks were a result of this concerted effort to contain, instead of just pursue.
Reply/Quote
Yeah Hubbard and Hendrickson did a,nice
Job of boxing Lamar in.
I liked how Hubbard was relentless in chasing down
Jackson in the 2nd half.forcing.him throw without
Getting his feet set
Reply/Quote
Best part when you have a great game plan against a QB who usually has his way is the frustration they show. Lamar was pissed so many times and didn’t know how to fix it. Watching his frustration paired with the excitement from Hubbard and Hendrickson was awesome!
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 01:16 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Best part when you have a great game plan against a QB who usually has his way is the frustration they show. Lamar was pissed so many times and didn’t know how to fix it. Watching his frustration paired with the excitement from Hubbard and Hendrickson was awesome!

That was good to see! Jackson throwing temper tantrums on the sidelines!!
Reply/Quote
Lou had these guys ready. I think many of us underestimated his talents. These guys on D were having a great time. They were not rattled by the Baltimore crowd or the hype of the game. Guys were confident and went to work. I love it.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 02:15 AM)Joelist Wrote: The D did quite a nice job against the Rats today.

The plan was actually pretty close to what I predicted in other threads - take away Andrews and Brown and make Jackson put the ball into tight spaces. And aside from one blown coverage on Brown (where I could make a case that he did not control the ball as he went OOB) they pretty much did exactly that.

What was also noteworthy was the DL both got pressure AND was stout against the run without needing the D to cheat up - this meant we could stay in tighter and smaller zones so we did not have Rat receivers sitting in giant holes in zones (like they were against the Chargers and Colts).

Put these together and you saw what happens when Jackson has to be accurate (as opposed to just strong armed) and show touch - he isn't very good. He has slightly below average accuracy and very below average touch - this was a rap on him his whole career and in the playoffs where he has looked bad is what opposing defenses keyed on.

And also crucial was the SUPERB job of contain from the DL - by sealing the edges they made Jackson's running largely harmless and aided the pressure in getting home.

Yes, beautiful thing to behold. Great job Lou, Hobby and Golden and the players executed masterfully.

That is the way you play the Ravens. I have said it before it isn't rocket science, stop the run, keep Lamar in the pocket and make 
him throw into tight windows. We finally have the players to do this with Hendrickson and Hubbard sealing edges and our DT room.

Our Linebackers, namely Logan and ADG are really growing and we have a very good Secondary with Awuzie, Bates and company.

Who is this Mike White guy we have to face on Halloween? I know nothing about him, is he a runner?
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 01:16 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Best part when you have a great game plan against a QB who usually has his way is the frustration they show. Lamar was pissed so many times and didn’t know how to fix it. Watching his frustration paired with the excitement from Hubbard and Hendrickson was awesome!

(10-25-2021, 01:31 PM)sandwedge Wrote: That was good to see! Jackson throwing temper tantrums on the sidelines!!

We have done this to both Pitt and the Rats now, fun stuff. Hope we can do the same to the Stains in a couple weeks after a win over
the Jets on Halloween. Need to own this Division, great start.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 02:15 AM)Joelist Wrote: The D did quite a nice job against the Rats today.

Bengals did something most teams don't do vs Lamar Jackson... they played a good bit of man coverage. Most teams dont do that because it turns their backs to the line and allows him to take off running but he's also now a great passer vs man coverage and the Bengals had shut down the primary run game which forced alot of 3rd and longs.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I hope you meant NOT a great passer because Jackson sucks at touch passing and fitting balls into small windows.
Reply/Quote
Ironically the Stains are better at QB with Hayseed out (Case Keenum is more accurate than Mayfield).
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 04:07 PM)Joelist Wrote: Ironically the Stains are better at QB with Hayseed out (Case Keenum is more accurate than Mayfield).

Yeah, I like Keenum, he might give us some problems in a couple weeks.
Reply/Quote