Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
1 win away from being in argument for best Bengals team ever
(01-24-2022, 10:46 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'm not sure I would go that far.

This is my favorite team, I’ll say that.
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
the 81 and 88 teams were both very good and both own a piece of my heart.

But no doubt this my favorite Bengals team nowadays !!!

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Chiefs play a more physical style of pass defense. Expect a lot of DPI to get ignored and called early and often against us. Plus there was a huge group of people crying after we beat KC saying Chase pushes off. I’m afraid we will have to play damn near perfect to overcome KC and their home field officiating.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 09:39 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: The 88 and 81 offensive lines maybe best in the league. Along with all pro QBS with weapons on offense 88 team generated more turnovers the LB core on the 81 team was exceptional.

Yup.

And they got to the SB.

Love this team but we aren’t there just yet.

We may be in 4 days though!
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 02:30 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Errr...

1981:
14-5 (lost SB)
3rd scoring offense
12th scoring defense

1988:
14-5 (lost SB)
1st scoring offense
16th scoring defense

2021:
12-7 (currently in AFCC)
7th scoring offense
17th scoring defense

This year has the most losses, hasn't made the SB (yet), the worst scoring offense, and the worst scoring defense of the three. 

The 1988 team's offense was so good that the opponents were complaining to the league about the hurry-up offense so that in the AFC Championship Game the league actually changed the rules (just for that game, and right before it) to call the offense they'd used all year as a penalty for "unsportsman-like conduct."
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 10:05 AM)Nepa Wrote: The 1988 team's offense was so good that the opponents were complaining to the league about the hurry-up offense so that in the AFC Championship Game the league actually changed the rules (just for that game, and right before it) to call the offense they'd used all year as a penalty for "unsportsman-like conduct."

Marv Levy at the Bills was the main guy to complain about the hurry up offense, and would have his defensive linemen lay down and fake injury. (hence the rule about having to come out a play)  Then later, when he used it, he thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Reply/Quote
I thought Chuck Knox of the Seahawks was the first one to try that tactic. Of course, Ground Knox hated the hurry up!

I’m sure I’ve got this right the more I think about it. Sam was PISSED. Marv copied Knox.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 10:47 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Marv Levy at the Bills was the main guy to complain about the hurry up offense, and would have his defensive linemen lay down and fake injury. (hence the rule about having to come out a play)  Then later, when he used it, he thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

& karma took care of Levy for his griping manifested as Scott Norwood.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 10:51 AM)SladeX Wrote: I thought Chuck Knox of the Seahawks was the first one to try that tactic. Of course, Ground Knox hated the hurry up!

I’m sure I’ve got this right the more I think about it. Sam was PISSED. Marv copied Knox.
Yep. Joe Nash and the 'trick knee'.
(01-26-2022, 10:53 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: & karma took care of Levy for his griping manifested as Scott Norwood.  Hilarious

You 'missed'-spelled Norwide.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
It's cliché, but this team plays for each other. Watch each team celebrate their divisional round win and tell me we don't want it more. Every Bengal on this roster bleeds orange and black. Doesn't matter if its offense, defense, special teams or the coaching staff. We're young, but our guys really know how to handle success it seems (minus Eli Apple who has room to talk this season, so I'll let it slide lol).

This is my favorite team ever. I love the energy they feed off to all of us. I've never been more confident about a team than this one and I realize the team we have to face Sunday. That's what a winning culture does for a team and its fanbase. Gives you confidence. We know we have a shot against anybody.

WHO DEY!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 11:22 AM)Takedown Wrote: It's cliché, but this team plays for each other. Watch each team celebrate their divisional round win and tell me we don't want it more. Every Bengal on this roster bleeds orange and black. Doesn't matter if its offense, defense, special teams or the coaching staff. We're young, but our guys really know how to handle success it seems (minus Eli Apple who has room to talk this season, so I'll let it slide lol).

This is my favorite team ever. I love the energy they feed off to all of us. I've never been more confident about a team than this one and I realize the team we have to face Sunday. That's what a winning culture does for a team and its fanbase. Gives you confidence. We know we have a shot against anybody.

WHO DEY!!!

Well said. 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 11:22 AM)Takedown Wrote: It's cliché, but this team plays for each other. Watch each team celebrate their divisional round win and tell me we don't want it more. Every Bengal on this roster bleeds orange and black. Doesn't matter if its offense, defense, special teams or the coaching staff. We're young, but our guys really know how to handle success it seems (minus Eli Apple who has room to talk this season, so I'll let it slide lol).

WHO DEY!!!

A concise, but accurate statement. If such clichés bring home titles, then I'm glad the play for each other mantra fuels this team. 
Reply/Quote

1981:
14-5 (lost SB)
3rd scoring offense
12th scoring defense

1988:
14-5 (lost SB)
1st scoring offense
16th scoring defense

2021:
12-7 (currently in AFCC)
7th scoring offense
17th scoring defense

This year has the most losses, hasn't made the SB (yet), the worst scoring offense, and the worst scoring defense of the three. 

The '88 team made it to the Super Bowl and almost won with a crippled QB.  Boomer was complete trash in the postseason and we still went 2-1.  In his 3 postseason games COMBINED he completed 45.3% of his passes for 346 yards, 1 td, 3 ints, and a 48.0 passer rating.  Andy Dalton's playoff numbers are better than Boomer's from '88.

The '88 team was the best in Bengal history, and based on what they were able to do with their MVP barely able to play, I would say it is not even close.
Reply/Quote

1981:
14-5 (lost SB)
3rd scoring offense
12th scoring defense

1988:
14-5 (lost SB)
1st scoring offense
16th scoring defense

2021:
12-7 (currently in AFCC)
7th scoring offense
17th scoring defense

Sorry bro, but annual ranks don't mean alot.
Please use PPG/Avg.

Those stats you listed, are reset every year.
81 we scored: 421/16= 26.3 ppg
88 we scored: 448/16= 28 ppg
21 we scored: 460/17= 27ppg

81 Def: 304/16= 19 ppg
88 Def: 329/16= 20.5 ppg
21 Def: 376/17= 22.1 ppg

so defense isn't quite as good as the previous 2 years, but offense is on par with them.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 08:16 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: We are currently 3rd based on results we need to make SB to be compared to 81 or 88 teams. Another note Huber needs 96 yards to move into the top 50 all time in playoff punting yards. Another thing to keep in mind this same Titans line that sacked us 9 times held Mahomes to 3 points. I don't think the Chiefs D is as good as the Raiders. We are the better team and should win our D will be best they have faced with Logan and our secondary healthy. That said Chiefs will be tough to beat on the road and it would help us to limit presnap penalties.

I love the Bengals as much as anyone, but I don't think any of this is true.

The Chiefs have a better team and Buffalo has a better D than we do.

That being said - none of that matters.  Would I bet my house on the Bengals to win?  No, but I believe they can go in to KC and win.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 06:54 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Sorry bro, but annual ranks don't mean alot.
Please use PPG/Avg.

Those stats you listed, are reset every year.
81 we scored: 421/16= 26.3 ppg
88 we scored: 448/16= 28 ppg
21 we scored: 460/17= 27ppg

81 Def: 304/16= 19 ppg
88 Def: 329/16= 20.5 ppg
21 Def: 376/17= 22.1 ppg

so defense isn't quite as good as the previous 2 years, but offense is on par with them.

I would disagree that annual ranks don't mean a lot. How good or bad something is graded is dependent on where they rank against their peers, especially comparing against a different era like the 80s. It doesn't make sense to compare PPG numbers when the game has changed significantly. It's probably the best way to look at it given the different styles of football being played.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 09:01 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: This is already the best team ever, and really it’s probably not that close

Yes, it is not close both the 1981 and 1988 Bengals were 12 - 4 and the top seed of the AFC, which is why they did not have to go on the road.

You don't penalize a team 81' and 88' Bengals because they did not have a road game in their route to the SB.

These Bengals will only be better if they win the SB. 

How do you say they are already are??? What if they get blown out by KC? What if they get blown out in the SB??

When they lift the NFL Championship trophy then and only then are they better then 81' or 88'. 
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote

WHO DEY!!!

Great post Takedown. This is what I see, this team plays for each other as you say and they play with mad heart till the whistle.

It is a family and it is great to be a part of it as a fan of many years. Rock On

It is just nice the future is also so bright, we aren't in win now mode even though we are. Not as much pressure as say the Rams
who have went all out giving up draft picks and paying huge salaries to multiple top tier players which they will not be able to 
sustain. Same with the Chiefs and Mahomes huge contract. Other parts of the team WILL suffer because of it.
Reply/Quote

WHO DEY!!!

To your point about the culture....Wyche had defensive players room with offensive players, and black players with white players on top of that in training camp to get the players closer to each other, and it worked. It was different times back then with training camps, but that was a brilliant move. The players from that team all acknowledge it as building chemistry across the units.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 08:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: To your point about the culture....Wyche had defensive players room with offensive players, and black players with white players on top of that in training camp to get the players closer to each other, and it worked. It was different times back then with training camps, but that was a brilliant move. The players from that team all acknowledge it as building chemistry across the units.

No doubt, the Defense plays for the Offense and the ST's plays for everybody.

You see after the game the amazing comradery going on with all the players from the Kicker to the QB, to the RB to the Defensive 
enforcers. I have never seen it like this as when Sam Wyche was doing his thing I was 7 years old and didn't ever get to see things 
like this what we can see today cause of the interwebz. Awesome thing to behold in a time that honestly sucks besides this lol
Reply/Quote