Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mike's reaction at the inception of free agency
(11-08-2019, 09:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Mike has had a ton of quotes that made me have the same reaction. The dude is just wired differently AND he's stubborn to a legendary level.

When you say "different". You mean dumb right?  IDK if there is a bigger dumbass in all of sports than Mike Brown.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2019, 10:54 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Very good point. As much as he loves the draft and hates FA, you would think he would invest money into proving his way is the correct way. Yet, he doesn’t because he doesn’t care. It’s never been about the players, the city or fans, it’s always been about profits in Brown pockets and the next gen to take over feel the same way.

The War Room should be cutting edge with metric data, Large draft personnel to check out smaller schools and character issues.   I mean, if you do not believe in Free Agency and need to build up the team, then that leaves just the draft.  

I do not understand the need to have coaches to scout when some coaches may not recognize talent.  Talent scouts have a knack to recognize potential and ceiling type of players.  Coaches can recognize good data.  

Why not have the BEST scouting in the NFL?  At least the Cincinnati Reds recognized this and are moving toward the best in the business for their farm system.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2019, 02:13 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, its from this interview with Jim O - https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/01/19/cincinnati-bengals-owner-mike-brown-why-marvin-lewis-back-head-coach/1048725001/

I just sat and read that entire article...

What an idiot. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2019, 04:35 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I just sat and read that entire article...

What an idiot. 

One of my favorites from the interview:

"They’re going to come when we win. In some ways, ours is a hard market. It is the fact that our people are judgmental about us. They are often easy to condemn when it doesn’t go to their standards."

Yeah Mike...fans have a desire for their teams to win, have some kind of playoff success every once in awhile and give them a reason to feel confident that the franchises they root for aren't ran by a clueless, stubborn, embarrassing buffoon that leaves fingernail marks on the floor as he's dragged, kicking and screaming, into the modern NFL against his will. 

Shocking huh? Whatever
Reply/Quote
Marge Schott would be proud.
Reply/Quote
I'm just amazed how the Cleveland BROWNS still keep the brown family name in their team... eeeeeeeeeeeeew.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2019, 05:34 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: One of my favorite lines from the interview:

"They’re going to come when we win. In some ways, ours is a hard market. It is the fact that our people are judgmental about us. They are often easy to condemn when it doesn’t go to their standards."

Yeah Mike...fans have a desire for their teams to win, have some kind of playoff success every once in awhile and give them a reason to feel confident that the franchises they root for aren't ran by a clueless, stubborn, embarrassing buffoon that leaves fingernail marks on the floor as he's dragged, kicking and screaming, into the modern NFL against his will. 

Shocking huh? Whatever

Honestly...why do we follow this team?

We haven't won a single playoff game since modern free agency began in 1992. Yet...the owner thinks fans are judgmental. EVERY TEAM in the NFL has won one since we last did...yet the fans are judgmental.

No wonder Brown and Blackburn don't talk to the media.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2019, 05:34 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: One of my favorite lines from the interview:

Shocking huh? Whatever

It's baffling how someone that went to an Ivy League school could be so incompetent and clueless. 

Wonder how much "daddy" had to do with that? dotdotdot

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2019, 08:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly...why do we follow this team?

That's a great question.

Reply/Quote

(11-10-2019, 12:59 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's a great question.

...with a simple answer. Who Dey.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 12:55 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's baffling how someone that went to an Ivy League school could be so incompetent and clueless. 

I am more convinced now than ever that this is a deliberate hard nosed screw job on the fans.
They did it to Hamilton county, they're doing it to us.

What a black hearted bunch of bastards.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 12:55 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's baffling how someone that went to an Ivy League school could be so incompetent and clueless. 

Honestly, I think people shift metrics for success.

My guess...and this is just a guess...is that the view the Bengals as some small market team. He sees the Reds in baseball and how they struggle financially and don't compete usually...and the Bengals are quite profitable. Also the 5 playoff appearances in a row are some sort of validation that his style works.

Reality is the NFL is setup for teams to make profit. And small market teams like the Pirates are terrible...but the Steelers compete for Super Bowls.

Is it delusion? It's more an ego investment where they want to do things they do as working.

And take the draft. There are so many picks that atleast some players you draft will turn out decent to good. Someone is going to catch passes on your team and rush for decent yardage. IF you don't compare your success to other teams, it's easy to skew things you do as more important than they are.
Reply/Quote

We haven't won a single playoff game since modern free agency began in 1992. Yet...the owner thinks fans are judgmental. EVERY TEAM in the NFL has won one since we last did...yet the fans are judgmental.

No wonder Brown and Blackburn don't talk to the media.

Just like players who don't understand why they get booed when they stink.

Do people applaud at the end of a crappy play/concert/movie?

Hell no they don't, and critics will tear them apart.

They'll say.  NFL is a business.  It is.  NFL is entertainment.  Also correct.

When it's performed terribly... guess what?!?  People don't like it.

Bengals fans are just tired of watching the Mike Brown shitshow.

Too bad these players playing victim(while taking money I might add)are performers in it.

That's the business.  That's the entertainment.

You can't claim it is, and then turn around and feel slighted by people who are disappointed in the execution.

Suck it up buttercup or actually do something about it.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Interesting that Mikey used the word 'control' as in in I want to control my players. That is straight old school Paul Brown - any player that asked or demanded more money was often traded. In Mikey's perfect NFL world there would be a salary cap, shared revenue but no free agency or guaranteed contracts. He really is just an old POS.

When he dies (can't be soon enough), I will wait and see how Pumpkin and Toy decide to run the team. If it is SSDD, I will walk away from the fan base. But we have no idea what Pumpkin's thoughts are on running a team. It could go in many directions.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 02:45 AM)SladeX Wrote: I am more convinced now than ever that this is a deliberate hard nosed screw job on the fans.
They did it to Hamilton county, they're doing it to us.

What a black hearted bunch of bastards.

They appear primarily concerned with the financial side of things...seemingly operating like they are an NHL or MLB team that could lose money or go out of business...

I'm sure they want to win. But, they want to win under their conditions.

That said, we've seen 28 years of evidence that their 'model' doesn't work.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 02:04 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Interesting that Mikey used the word 'control' as in in I want to control my players. That is straight old school Paul Brown - any player that asked or demanded more money was often traded. In Mikey's perfect NFL world there would be a salary cap, shared revenue but no free agency or guaranteed contracts. He really is just an old POS.

When he dies (can't be soon enough), I will wait and see how Pumpkin and Toy decide to run the team. If it is SSDD, I will walk away from the fan base. But we have no idea what Pumpkin's thoughts are on running a team. It could go in many directions.

He’s 84 but he’s lived a pampered life. He doesn’t seem to worry about anything, so that won’t hurt him health wise. He’s probably too cheap to drink or smoke. This old Miser May run this team another 10 years, just to spite the fans.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 12:33 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Just like players who don't understand why they get booed when they stink.

Do people applaud at the end of a crappy play/concert/movie?

Hell no they don't, and critics will tear them apart.

They'll say.  NFL is a business.  It is.  NFL is entertainment.  Also correct.

When it's performed terribly... guess what?!?  People don't like it.

Bengals fans are just tired of watching the Mike Brown shitshow.

Too bad these players playing victim(while taking money I might add)are performers in it.

That's the business.  That's the entertainment.

You can't claim it is, and then turn around and feel slighted by people who are disappointed in the execution.

Suck it up buttercup or actually do something about it.

And I would say that fans generally have an irrational amount of optimism if what I see on this board represents the entire fanbase.

Management does very little and fans get excited.

Steelers and Patriots fanbases expect Super Bowls and deep playoff runs.

Here? More wins than losses is the bar for excitement.

IF this team was from NY or one of the big media markets, the press would be brutal.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are basically the NFL's version of A Christmas Carol. There just won't be that scene at the end where Scrooge sees the error of his ways and changes unfortunately.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2019, 02:52 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Here's more of Mike's reasoning: 

"We try to spend our cap money in ways that we think make sense. Our goal is to retain our own good players if we can. That’s the first order of business. And we can’t always do that with the cap room that we have. We do a lot of it. that is quickly overlooked whenever we do it. Oh, go do this, go do that. Well, the chips to do that have been spent. They’re gone. We look to do what we can within our cap room."

The cap excuse fails on it's face, because not only do the Bengals usually have among the most cap available going into free agency...they also tend to be among the top in space left after free agency. The money is always there to sign a top tier player or two, they just choose not. They are far more comfortable going after low risk discount players and those cut by other teams that won't cost a comp pick to sign. That is the free agency player pool they have almost always targeted.

I thought the NFL made a floor that teams had to reach? Like even if we roll over cap space, we have to make up for it later? Seems all that rule did was make things more confusing for fans to sort out.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote