Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10-Team, Choose Your Draft Position and 1st Few Picks
Alright, so, in a 10-team league, you're the first person to get to pick where you want to draft, which draft position are you taking and who are you hoping to get with your first few picks? Keep in mind that I'm basing this off a lineup of QB, RB, RB, WR/TE, WR/TE, WR/TE, K, D.

Right now, I would probably pick around 5th and hope that Gurley or Zeke drops to that pick (Zeke is who I really want behind that Cowboys line), which one should and then I'd pick a receiver on the way back around. Everyone is picking Brown, Beckham, and Jones in the top three, but I'm still in the boat of a running back high in the first, so I'd be more than happy to get a guy that I'd take in the top three at 5, 6, or 7.

Gurley's a machine and should dominate again, but I might like Zeke over him.

David Johnson would also be a good pick because the Cardinals should put up a lot of points and move the ball, getting him plenty of opportunities for yards and scores.

Peterson is also a possibility, but his age scares me, although being away for a year may have saved him a year or two.

I'd take AJ in two if he made it back around to me, but, being in greater Cincinnati, it's highly doubtful that he would, so I might go with Allen Robinson because I think Bortles will blow-up and have a big year.

If I didn't get the first choice and 5, 6, and 7 were taken, I'd probably go with the tenth pick and then take Green and Gronkowski, who should put up big numbers, even with Brady being suspended for the first few because he'll be Garoppolo's best friend because he's the easiest target.

If I didn't take Johnson, I'd probably take Cardinals receivers later and try to get Palmer after QBs start going because, like I said, I think their offense will be explosive.

What would you do and what do you think about my strategies?
Reply/Quote
I have a new draft strategy this year.  Last year I took all guys I really like in the league and most of them all succumbed to injuries or just fell flat on their faces fantasy speaking. Hence, my team coming in dead last in the league.  So this year, I'm drafting guys from teams I can't stand.  This way, if they get the BengalHawk curse for fantasy, it'll help the Bengals in real life football, but if they put up points, then my fantasy team is doing well.  That being said, I'm taking Antonio Brown (Pitt) #1.   The next time I pick will be 20 spots later, so I'm hoping Thomas Rawls (Sea) and Alshon Jeffrey (Chicago) are still available. 20 spots later, its going to be Dion Lewis (NE) and Jarvis Landry (Mia).  So far, all these picks are from teams I really don't like and they all fall in the window of value without reaching too much. 

Ideally, I would like to be picking in the 4-5-6 spot.  Should be looking at a Julio Jones-Todd Gurley-David Johnson type of pick. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 03:11 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I have a new draft strategy this year.  Last year I took all guys I really like in the league and most of them all succumbed to injuries or just fell flat on their faces fantasy speaking. Hence, my team coming in dead last in the league.  So this year, I'm drafting guys from teams I can't stand.  This way, if they get the BengalHawk curse for fantasy, it'll help the Bengals in real life football, but if they put up points, then my fantasy team is doing well.  That being said, I'm taking Antonio Brown (Pitt) #1.   The next time I pick will be 20 spots later, so I'm hoping Thomas Rawls (Sea) and Alshon Jeffrey (Chicago) are still available. 20 spots later, its going to be Dion Lewis (NE) and Jarvis Landry (Mia).  So far, all these picks are from teams I really don't like and they all fall in the window of value without reaching too much. 

Ideally, I would like to be picking in the 4-5-6 spot.  Should be looking at a Julio Jones-Todd Gurley-David Johnson type of pick. 

Genius!
Reply/Quote
I'm a big fan of having your picks fall close together (ie 10 +11, 9 + 12, 1 +21 + 22, 2 +20 +23). It's so much easier to plan that way, Instead of waiting it out to see if someone you want is going to be there, you can snag your two guys and move on with your plan or adjust.

And since I don't love the value of the early picks this year I would have to say I'd love to pick 10.

At 10, ideally my draft would like something like this in the first few rounds:

10 Adrian Peterson or AJ Green
11 Alshon Jeffery or Leveon Bell
30 Eddie Lacy or Dion Lewis
31 Jordan Reed

Just throwing out some ideas...
Reply/Quote
1-3 Antonio, Julio, obj (in that order)

4-7 running back in my opinion Lamar miller will be the best running back in fantasy so j am taking him but I know most people won't. So for this exercise id say it goes gurley, AP, Lamar miller and then David or Ezekiel. I won't be drafting either of the latter and they are off my board. Can't take a risk in the first round and Arians is saying he won't run David into the ground as they have CJ and Ellington. Additionally Ezekiel is going to return the value of a top five pick. His upside is capped with Alfred Morris and McFadden. Also got to keep in mind rookies typically hit a wall in the NFL. ****in my world AJ green is pick 7****

8-10 because I have my rankings weird I am typically drafting Lamar miller and AJ green in these spots. I like to grab miller and I'll explain why. If you get miller 7-10 i typically can pair him him with AJ/dez on the way back down. Id consider Hopkins if I had too but don't want 2 people from
The same team. On the 3-4 turn I am either looking for shady McCoy in the third or I'm taking Evans/cooks. Both will finish with top 10 upside. Also like Amati cooper there. If you come away from first 4 rounds with 3 WR then you must start stockpiling RB and there is good value to be had.

TE is deep This year
QB is deeper
WR will go fast but you can get good value in 3-4 and then again in 6-7
RB with everyone going WR heavy first don't be afraid to stockpile 2-3 studs early and then get your WR
Minimize risk in your top 3 picks (bell, Charles, David Johnson, Jordy Nelson, Ezekiel Elliott, Rawls). If you want to take them go ahead but make sure you are confident with your decision.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Each time I let the computer pick for me, I get a great draft and often win the league. Picking on my own has been a disaster. However, it is much more fun. The computer typically picks the best player at each position currently available.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2016, 02:27 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm a big fan of having your picks fall close together (ie 10 +11, 9 + 12, 1 +21 + 22, 2 +20 +23).  It's so much easier to plan that way,  Instead of waiting it out to see if someone you want is going to be there, you can snag your two guys and move on with your plan or adjust.

And since I don't love the value of the early picks this year I would have to say I'd love to pick 10.

At 10, ideally my draft would like something like this in the first few rounds:

10 Adrian Peterson or AJ Green
11 Alshon Jeffery or Leveon Bell
30 Eddie Lacy or Dion Lewis
31 Jordan Reed

Just throwing out some ideas...
I agree, I like that strategy.  Picks 4 through 7 suck because you draft someone but you need to know what kind of players will be available for your next pick.

I could't take Bell.  Even if I didn't hate the Steelers, he misses the first games and then he's also an injury risk.
(08-12-2016, 08:42 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: 1-3 Antonio, Julio, obj (in that order)

4-7 running back in my opinion Lamar miller will be the best running back in fantasy so j am taking him but I know most people won't.  So for this exercise id say it goes gurley, AP, Lamar miller and then David or Ezekiel.  I won't be drafting either of the latter and they are off my board.   Can't take a risk in the first round and Arians is saying he won't run David into the ground as they have CJ and Ellington.  Additionally Ezekiel is going to return the value of a top five pick.  His upside is capped with Alfred Morris and McFadden.  Also got to keep in mind rookies typically hit a wall in the NFL.  ****in my world AJ green is pick 7****

8-10 because I have my rankings weird I am typically drafting Lamar miller and AJ green in these spots.  I like to grab miller and I'll explain why.  If you get miller 7-10 i typically can pair him him with AJ/dez on the way back down.  Id consider Hopkins if I had too but don't want 2 people from
The same team.  On the 3-4 turn I am either looking for shady McCoy in the third or I'm taking Evans/cooks.  Both will finish with top 10 upside. Also like Amati cooper there.  If you come away from first 4 rounds with 3 WR then you must start stockpiling RB and there is good value to be had.  

TE is deep This year
QB is deeper
WR will go fast but you can get good value in 3-4 and then again in 6-7
RB with everyone going WR heavy first don't be afraid to stockpile 2-3 studs early and then get your WR
Minimize risk in your top 3 picks (bell, Charles, David Johnson, Jordy Nelson, Ezekiel Elliott, Rawls). If you want to take them go ahead but make sure you are confident with your decision.
I agree that TE is deep

Bell's injury history and you think you're minimizing the risk in taking him?

TE is deep, but, with a backup QB and then Brady getting up there in age, I can see Gronk putting up high WR/TE rated numbers.  You know he's going to put up double-digit TDs with a thousand yards, and I'm also excited to see Bennet because I think he'll put up big numbers with Brady.

QBs are going late, but I think Brady has a big year once he's off suspension, and then Bennet, Gronk, and Edelman all have big years, and I also think Hogan will put up some solid numbers and be a good sleeper to take late.  
(08-12-2016, 06:46 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Each time I let the computer pick for me, I get a great draft and often win the league. Picking on my own has been a disaster. However, it is much more fun. The computer typically picks the best player at each position currently available.

Yeah, that's lame.

You could even do that yourself, though, and just follow the site's rankings and then switch it up a bit if you see a bargain or a sleeper.  Outside of the first few picks, you can do that, but it's not always right, but it's good to use if you get deep in the draft with guys you don't know much about because those guys can really help you get a good team.

However, the fun of fantasy football, along with trash talking, is playing the role of your own personal GM and having power!  
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 03:11 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I have a new draft strategy this year.  Last year I took all guys I really like in the league and most of them all succumbed to injuries or just fell flat on their faces fantasy speaking. Hence, my team coming in dead last in the league.  So this year, I'm drafting guys from teams I can't stand.  This way, if they get the BengalHawk curse for fantasy, it'll help the Bengals in real life football, but if they put up points, then my fantasy team is doing well.  That being said, I'm taking Antonio Brown (Pitt) #1.   The next time I pick will be 20 spots later, so I'm hoping Thomas Rawls (Sea) and Alshon Jeffrey (Chicago) are still available. 20 spots later, its going to be Dion Lewis (NE) and Jarvis Landry (Mia).  So far, all these picks are from teams I really don't like and they all fall in the window of value without reaching too much. 

A little warning for you....

First I believe Dion Lewis is on the pup. I stumbled into him 4 hours before the first game last year... A genius move on my part.

Second I always shoot for Antonio Brown. It makes me feel dirty, but I like money. By the end of the year I had Brown, Big Ben (who I used after Dalton went down) and the Steelers kicker. I was in 1st and had just crushed a team in the playoffs. Then those Steeler bastids laid an egg against Baltimore and cost me the championship. Two weeks later the debacle at PBS happened.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
So I would go rb at 7 with zeke then if aj is around if not going with Hopkins third round going with Fitzgerald then gio then hurns then dalton bengals defense and Baltimore kicker
Reply/Quote