Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 guys We can least afford to lose?
So Paul Dehner JR had an article about who are the 10 guys the Bengals could least afford to lose.http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/08/04/walkthrough-who-could-bengals-least-afford-to-lose/31096177/
I don't necessarily agree with his list so here is my list.(Feel free to post yours)
1.) Andy Dalton- He is our QB so if he misses significant time were screwed.
2.)Geno Atkins- He is our best player without him this defense is not on the same level as it is without him. 
3.) AJ Green- He is  our second best player on the team and he puts the fear of god in other teams defensive coordinators.
4.)Carlos Dunlap- led the team in sacks the past two seasons and is beast as a run defender.
5.) Andrew Whitworth- Best LT in the game nuff said.
6.)Michael Johnson- We missed his presence last season. Great run defender, good pass rusher, and he will bat his share fair of passes down.
7.)Tyler Eifert- He is the only TE on the roster that has played in an NFL game.
8.)Jermy Hill- He is a beast and would be higher on the list if Gio wasn't on the team.
9.) Marvin Jones- He is another deep threat that offenses have to watch and a top redone threat. 9 out of his 10 touchdowns were in the redzone in 2013.
10.) George Iloka- Brain of the secondary. He has a rare combination of  length and covering ability for a safety.
Honorable mention Vontaz Burfict- He is a playmaker in the middle of the defense and he would be better off with him. He has elite playmaking ability and before his injuries last season he looked like a potential DPOY candidate. I would have ranked him higher but LBs are like RBs and seem easier to replace.  
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2015, 02:18 AM)J24 Wrote: So Paul Dehner JR had an article about who are the 10 guys the Bengals could least afford to lose.http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/08/04/walkthrough-who-could-bengals-least-afford-to-lose/31096177/
I don't necessarily agree with his list so here is my list.(Feel free to post yours)
5.) Andy Dalton- He is our mediocre QB and deserved to be in the middle of this top 10.
4.)Geno Atkins- He WAS our best player without him this defense is not on the same level as it is without him. 
3.) AJ Green- He is a great player but Jeremy Hill at the back half of the season had the passion as well as the stats.
6.)Carlos Dunlap- led the team in sacks the past two seasons and is beast as a run defender.
1.) Andrew Whitworth- Best LT in the game, leader of the team, cornerstone of the entire offense.
8.)Michael Johnson- We missed his presence last season. Great run defender, good pass rusher, and he will bat his share fair of passes down.
9.)Tyler Eifert- He is the only TE on the roster that has played in an NFL game.
2.)Jermy Hill- He is a beast and Gio helps keep this amazing talent fresh through the beginning of the season.
10.) Marvin Jones- He is another deep threat that offenses have to watch and a top redone threat. 9 out of his 10 touchdowns were in the redzone in 2013.
7.) George Iloka- Brain of the secondary. He has a rare combination of  length and covering ability for a safety.
Honorable mention Vontaz Burfict- He is a playmaker in the middle of the defense and he would be better off with him. He has elite playmaking ability and before his injuries last season he looked like a potential DPOY candidate. I would have ranked him higher but LBs are like RBs and seem easier to replace.  
Reply/Quote
1. AJ Green Our offense has proven that without Green, we can do very little.

2. Geno Atkins Our defense has proven that without Atkins, we can do very little.

3. Marvin Jones Is not as important as AJ Green, but both of them being out crippled our WR group at the end of the year.

4. Tyler Eifert Having no threat at TE was one of the biggest reasons we couldn't overcome our WR situation.

5. Jeremy Hill Not many people remember this, but before Hill broke out in the second half of the season, our rushing numbers were average at best. And very up and down. In our first 8 weeks, we had games of 193 yard, 170 yards and 116
yards, but we also had games of 79 yards, 79 yards and 32 yards.

6. Andrew Whitworth We now have some guys who can step in if he were to be injured, but last year, and perhaps this year since Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher being rookies, losing him would be death for Dalton.

7. Andy Dalton He needs weapons to play well, but he has proven that he has the ability to play well. I don't know what McCarron has to offer, but it's probably a significant step down from Dalton.

8. Carlos Dunlap Most consistent pass rusher on our team outside of Atkins. He is obviously made better by having Atkins, but he himself is very good at causing chaos.

9. Reggie Nelson The veteran of our secondary. The only guys who could replace him are Hall, who has never played the position, or Smith a rookie.

10. Adam Jones He returns kicks, returns punts and is our best cover corner. He is aging and we have excellent depth at CB, so he isn't critical to our success, but he is one of our best players, bar none.
Reply/Quote
The list starts with AJ Green. Just look at the playoff game. I'd much rather lose Dalton than Green. It seems a little backwards, but if you lost Dalton, you would still have AJ to keep the defenses from stacking against the run.

After those 2 (Dalton and Green), I don't think there are any guys that are truly "can't lose" players.
Reply/Quote
  • AJ Green
  • Geno Atkins
  • Vontez Burfict
  • Carlos Dunlap
  • Reggie Nelson
  • George Iloka
  • Adam Jones
  • Andrew Whitworth
  • Jeremy Hill
  • Andy Dalton

Those are the ten that have the most talent and we have little depth behind them or their just game changers.. I thought about leaving Adam Jones off of the list because we have Kirk,Dennard and Hall still but Adam is too good. Was tempted to put Eifert on but he's still an unknown on how good he is. Dalton isn't so much a game changer as the best option.
Reply/Quote
This is tough because we really have no clue how some of the young guys look yet, so my list will be just assuming the rookies/guys we haven't seen on the field yet are mediocre at best. Just going to do top 5...

1. Andy Dalton - Most important position on the field. You can't just hand the ball off on every down and expect the run game to work. We need Andy to stay healthy yet again for a chance to contend for a title.
2. Tyler Eifert - Who's behind him on the depth chart? Other than the 2 JN posters that think Kroft is going to put up monster numbers as a rookie, most of us know what to expect realistically from the rookies. Eifert must stay healthy all year.
3a. Vontaze Burfict - Some of his haters won't admit it, but the defense looks entirely different with him out of the lineup. He's a tackling machine and our LB corp is likely the weakest positional group on the entire team.
3b. Geno Atkins - Same as Burfict, the defense is transformed when he's playing at a high level. I'm hoping all of our message board doctors are right when they claim it takes 42 months for the injury to heal, maybe it's finally healed up this season.
5. Nelson/Iloka - Who is even at S behind these guys? Let's all hope they play almost every snap yet again. I feel the talent gap between them and the backups is far greater than other positions.

Notable omission - A.J. Green - I'd have him somewhere in the top 10, but if the other receivers, TEs, and RBs are all healthy, Andy has plenty of guys to throw it around to. Yes, Andy throws some ducks sometimes, and A.J. is more likely to haul a bad pass in over some of the other guys, but this team has a lot of players capable of catching a football. Green is one of the best at his position in the league, but I'm much more concerned about the backups at TE, LB, and S right now.
Reply/Quote
They are screwed if they lose any 10 starters.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2015, 01:28 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: 1. AJ Green Our offense has proven that without Green, we can do very little.

2. Geno Atkins Our defense has proven that without Atkins, we can do very little.

3. Marvin Jones Is not as important as AJ Green, but both of them being out crippled our WR group at the end of the year.

4. Tyler Eifert Having no threat at TE was one of the biggest reasons we couldn't overcome our WR situation.

5. Jeremy Hill Not many people remember this, but before Hill broke out in the second half of the season, our rushing numbers were average at best. And very up and down. In our first 8 weeks, we had games of 193 yard, 170 yards and 116
yards, but we also had games of 79 yards, 79 yards and 32 yards.

6. Andrew Whitworth We now have some guys who can step in if he were to be injured, but last year, and perhaps this year since Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher being rookies, losing him would be death for Dalton.

7. Andy Dalton He needs weapons to play well, but he has proven that he has the ability to play well. I don't know what McCarron has to offer, but it's probably a significant step down from Dalton.

8. Carlos Dunlap Most consistent pass rusher on our team outside of Atkins. He is obviously made better by having Atkins, but he himself is very good at causing chaos.

9. Reggie Nelson The veteran of our secondary. The only guys who could replace him are Hall, who has never played the position, or Smith a rookie.

10. Adam Jones He returns kicks, returns punts and is our best cover corner. He is aging and we have excellent depth at CB, so he isn't critical to our success, but he is one of our best players, bar none.

I agree with this list entirely. You nailed it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Geno Atkins
Vontez Burfict
Jeremy Hill
AJ Green
Carlos Dunlap
Reggie Nelson
George Iloka
Tyler Eifert
Andrew Whitworth
Andy Dalton
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton
AJ Green
Andrew Whitworth
Jeremy Hill
Marvin Jones
Tyler Eifert
Vontaze Burfict
Geno Adkins
Dre Kirkpatrick
Carlos Dunlap
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2015, 01:34 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The list starts with AJ Green.  Just look at the playoff game.  I'd much rather lose Dalton than Green.  It seems a little backwards, but if you lost Dalton, you would still have AJ to keep the defenses from stacking against the run.

After those 2 (Dalton and Green), I don't think there are any guys that are truly "can't lose" players.

No way.  Green didn't catch a pass in something like 6 games.  If they had MLJ, Sanu, Eifert, Jeremy and Dalton, they would win many more games than AJ McCarron with Green. 
Reply/Quote
Geno Atkins - He's one of those elite players that makes our defense a different monster. If he's truly back anywhere near old form he makes everyone on the defense like 10% better ! It trickles down to make all the difference in the world.

Andy Dalton - Who knows what we have in McCarron ? I can already hear the BS as soon as McCarron has a decent qtr. in the preseason against the 2nd's and 3rd's. But will that really carry over in real games if Dalton goes down ?

AJ Green - you could tell when he was out last season for sure.

Carlos Dunlap - without him do we have any edge pressure ?

Whit - could the O-line shuffle around that loss ??

Eifert - we need that extra threat

Hill - again we need a strong, consistent running game.

Dennard/Kirkpatrick - we need these guys to take over

Iloka - What do we have behind him ?
Reply/Quote