Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 reasons for optimism
Reason 1 this team is better talent wise than other Bengal teams that have made the playoffs under Marvin
Reason 2 Lazor may be best offensive coordinator Marvin has had
Reason 3 Soft remaining schedule
Reason 4 Our defense usually improves as the season goes on under Marvin
Reason 5 Andy Dalton is playing his best football of his career
Reason 6 Special teams have been an issue most of the year but that's fixable
Reason 7 guys returning from injury Price Gio will help offense quite a bit
reason 8 if defense continues to struggle Marvin is likely to take over playcalling from austin which would be an improvement
reason 9 younger player continuing to play better through experience
reason 10 warm weather teams don't like to play in cold weather which gives us huge advantage against saints and chargers
Reply/Quote
Kool-aid mid season is not advisable
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good thread. Fans are mourning today due to the massive beat down. But, we are a good team and there is a lot to be positive about. Mondays always suck after a loss. I still think we will be fine but a blowout shakes the foundation.

Reply/Quote
This is a decent team that's a year/a few key pieces away from contending. They're actually playing better than I thought they would.....this past game notwithstanding. Being that this is a red hot KC team, and it was Mediocre Merv on SNF, I had this pegged a loss as soon as they flexed it. Pretty much explains why it doesn't bother me too much.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
The defense stinks and that isn’t changing anytime soon. Play from the front 7 is pitiful. The dline is capable of better but the lb’s are not.

Not sure if they are having a hard time adjusting to Austin’s scheme or if his scheme stinks. I’m leaning towards his scheme stinks.

Reply/Quote
Now if we get blown out or even Lose to the Buccs it will be all hands abandon ship
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 03:10 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Now if we get blown out or even Lose to the Buccs it will be all hands abandon ship

Probably, but if we win 5-3 ain’t bad at all. And I think you’re right about the second half being softer than the first. No reason this team can’t still go 5-3 or better in the second half.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 03:15 PM)motoarch Wrote: Probably, but if we win 5-3 ain’t bad at all.  And I think you’re right about the second half being softer than the first.  No reason this team can’t still go 5-3 or better in the second half.

Softer?  LOOK!!!

Teams ahead with their records and rankings in team offense/defense

Tampa 3-3           5th on Offense - 21st on Defense

Chargers 5-2        3rd on Offense - 22nd on Defense

Ravens 4-3           4th on Offense - 3rd on Defense

Denver 3-4           8th on Offense - 26th on Defense

Steelers 3-2-1      14th on Offense - 13th on Defense

Oakland 2-4         24th on Offense - 17th on Defense

Saints 5-1            17th on Offense - 10th on Defense

Browns 2-4-1       15th on Offense - 30th on Defense

Bengals 4-3          19th on Offense - 31st on Defense

Outside of Oakland and the Browns, where do you see softer??  (Besides that, with a good FG kicker the Browns could easily be 4-3 and the Steelers 3-3 and Saints 4-2)
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 02:56 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Reason 1 this team is better talent wise than other Bengal teams  that have made the playoffs under Marvin
Reason 2 Lazor may be best  offensive coordinator Marvin has had

reason 8 if defense continues to struggle Marvin is likely to take over playcalling from austin which would be an improvement

reason 10 warm weather teams don't like to play in cold weather which gives us huge advantage against saints and chargers

I can go with 4 out of those 10.

To note on #7, Gio and Price will help some, especially Price for the run game. But only to a point.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 03:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: This is a decent team that's a year/a few key pieces away from contending.  They're actually playing better than I thought they would.....this past game notwithstanding.  Being that this is a red hot KC team, and it was Mediocre Merv on SNF, I had this pegged a loss as soon as they flexed it.  Pretty much explains why it doesn't bother me too much.

Agree,

I knew in my heart a loss was most likely. But I didn't expect us to be curb stomped the way we were - still the same ole Merv not prepared for the big boys under the lights.

Can't believe I'd talked myself into believing that would change.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 03:10 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: The defense stinks and that isn’t changing anytime soon. Play from the front 7 is pitiful. The dline is capable of better but the lb’s are not.

Not sure if they are having a hard time adjusting to Austin’s scheme or if his scheme stinks. I’m leaning towards his scheme stinks.

We're losing and losing badly at the LOS on both sides of the ball and it's a recipe for disaster moving forward.
Reply/Quote
Steelers lead division without even playing, 3-2-1. So much for the fool in here who said we control our destiny, after 4 games into the season lol.

Wouldn't be surprised if we can't beat the Browns, they're not that bad relative to our Defense.

To balance your optimism.
Reply/Quote
The difference with this team is that the floor is so much lower for certain areas of the team. Linebacker for example. They are just straight up awful. At least in years past they had a somewhat competent line backing core.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 02:56 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Reason 1 this team is better talent wise than other Bengal teams  that have made the playoffs under Marvin
Reason 2 Lazor may be best  offensive coordinator Marvin has had

I'm all for optimism and I don't think this season is lost, but I definitely disagree with a few of these. Lazor isn't a better OC than Hue. This season is not better than Andy's 2015 season. Price isn't going to help the offense "quite a bit" just yet. He's still young and going through his struggles. He will be a slight upgrade over Hopkins currently, but his upside is higher. Gio will definitely help, though.

All in all, this team is okay but I think we saw the faults of this team last night.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 05:07 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Softer?  LOOK!!!

Outside of Oakland and the Browns, where do you see softer??  (Besides that, with a good FG kicker the Browns could easily be 4-3 and the Steelers 3-3 and Saints 4-2)

Bro, it’s cool. We got this.
Reply/Quote
Go golfing, fishing or whatever you like you to do to keep your sanity. I will be the biggest fan of this team till I tap out, but I refuse to let them bring me down!
Reply/Quote
I think if we're honest they've played quite a bit better this season than we assumed they would. I get where the past two games have been a huge letdown but I think it's caused people to lose perspective. I still think 9-7 or 10-6 is completely reasonable. The Tampa Bay game is critical though to stopping the bleeding and getting their groove back. If they lose to Tampa I'm afraid I'll have to join all the pessimists on here.

Also, Kansas City's offense has made a lot of teams look foolish this year. I don't mean to gloss over the clear problems with our defense but their skill players are just ridiculously good. Every time Tyreek Hill caught the ball his body language suggested he felt it was perfectly reasonable that he should also score-- and I don't think that's all that crazy. Mahomes is just bonkers good.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 05:07 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Softer?  LOOK!!!

How many of those teams look at their match up against the Bengals and say that's a soft spot in our schedule?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
In an attempt to forget about the last couple of weeks, I went searching for a reason to remain optimistic and found this:

The Bengals started this year 3-1 in the first quarter of the season. The previous 3 Marvin-led Bengal teams to do that all finished with 10 wins and made the playoffs. All 3 of those teams also suffered embarrassing losses by 20 or more points.

Does it mean anything? Probably not. But hey, I'm trying. Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 07:19 PM)WycheKid Wrote: I think if we're honest they've played quite a bit better this season than we assumed they would. I get where the past two games have been a huge letdown but I think it's caused people to lose perspective. I still think 9-7 or 10-6 is completely reasonable. The Tampa Bay game is critical though to stopping the bleeding and getting their groove back. If they lose to Tampa I'm afraid I'll have to join all the pessimists on here.

Also, Kansas City's offense has made a lot of teams look foolish this year. I don't mean to gloss over the clear problems with our defense but their skill players are just ridiculously good. Every time Tyreek Hill caught the ball his body language suggested he felt it was perfectly reasonable that he should also score-- and I don't think that's all that crazy. Mahomes is just bonkers good.

Pretty much this..... although I'm not joining any side....lol. The Bengals are a slightly better version of what I thought they were. I'm pretty cool with that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote