Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
101 shot 14 killed
Over the 4th of July weekend in Chicago:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2017/07/05/july-4th-weekend-shootings-chicago/452585001/

Quote:More than 100 people were shot in Chicago over the long Independence Day weekend as a deadly wave of violence once again rocked the massive city besieged by unrelenting gun crime.

At least 14 of the gunshot victims died, police said Wednesday

What should we do here, if anything?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-12-2018, 11:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Over the 4th of July weekend in Chicago:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2017/07/05/july-4th-weekend-shootings-chicago/452585001/

What should we do here, if anything?

Clamp down on the guns coming in from outside Chicago?   Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
F'in Obama!!
For real though. Jesus. What is their illegal immigrant level? Gotta be through the roof with that kind of crime!!
Improve education, create more job opportunities, and legalize pot. It'll help some of it.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

I thought mass shootings is the only gun violence that matters since those are a much easier rally cry to get behind.

Anyways, not really much can be done for Chicago & other poorer urban areas outside of what Bmore said above. One of the core problems imo is the breakdown of the family home, typically when the biological father leaves his baby momma and kid.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Simple gun laws that make it easier to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. There are people who make huge money supplying every street thug with a gun and it is completely legal. And any thug on the street can possess an untraceable gun with no license or registration and it is completely legal.

These measures won't end all violence, but it will help keep guns out of the hands of criminals without restricting the rights of any law abiding citizens in any way.
The article says, it is primarily "gang and drug related violence" located in the south and west sides of the city. That's a problem they have to fix themselves, in the same manner that New York and Los Angeles have worked on their gang and drug violence problems. Neither of those two cities have ever eliminated that type of violence, it is endemic to life in big cities. But they have made great efforts to curb the violence. Particularly New York. Chicagoans need to learn from them.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(07-13-2018, 11:41 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: The article says, it is primarily "gang and drug related violence" located in the south and west sides of the city. That's a problem they have to fix themselves, in the same manner that New York and Los Angeles have worked on their gang and drug violence problems. Neither of those two cities have ever eliminated that type of violence, it is endemic to life in big cities. But they have made great efforts to curb the violence. Particularly New York. Chicagoans need to learn from them.

Every single study has shown that most gang related murders are committed by a hard core within the gang.  We've seen the usual suspects touting gun control, which is utterly useless.  With the amount of firearms n the United States gun control laws are like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound.  You want to curb this level of rampant gang violence, focus enforcement efforts on the worst offender and put their people in prison for a long time.  The problem in Chicago is weak enforcement of existing laws.  The DA is undercharging gun related crime and letting hard core recidivists have chance after chance.  It's the result of the left leaning attitude about crime and their attempts to reduce incarceration.  

While Bmore is correct that social efforts to keep kids from even joining a gang are very necessary you still have to deal with the present gang population.  Treating them with kid gloves is not the solution.  Increase penalties for all gun related crime and aggressively enforce them.  In essence, do the opposite of what they are doing now.
(07-13-2018, 11:59 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:  The problem in Chicago is weak enforcement of existing laws.  The DA is undercharging gun related crime and letting hard core recidivists have chance after chance.  It's the result of the left leaning attitude about crime and their attempts to reduce incarceration.  

This is not true.
You'd imagine the right wing gun nuts would understand the gang violence mindset of shooting people who infringe upon your territory or threaten your cohorts/supply/money.
(07-13-2018, 12:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is not true.

Compelling argument.
(07-13-2018, 03:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Compelling argument.

Just as sound as yours.

I have seen the stories about Federal gun charges in Chicago, but an overwhelming majority of gun charges are prosecuted by the state.
(07-13-2018, 11:59 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Every single study has shown that most gang related murders are committed by a hard core within the gang.  We've seen the usual suspects touting gun control, which is utterly useless.  With the amount of firearms n the United States gun control laws are like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound.  You want to curb this level of rampant gang violence, focus enforcement efforts on the worst offender and put their people in prison for a long time.  The problem in Chicago is weak enforcement of existing laws.  The DA is undercharging gun related crime and letting hard core recidivists have chance after chance.  It's the result of the left leaning attitude about crime and their attempts to reduce incarceration.  

While Bmore is correct that social efforts to keep kids from even joining a gang are very necessary you still have to deal with the present gang population.  Treating them with kid gloves is not the solution.  Increase penalties for all gun related crime and aggressively enforce them.  In essence, do the opposite of what they are doing now.

If communities can do enough to weaken the gang recruiting pool, eventually the gangs will die off.  Literally, as they continue to kill each other for supremacy and sales territory.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-13-2018, 06:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If communities can do enough to weaken the gang recruiting pool, eventually the gangs will die off.  Literally, as they continue to kill each other for supremacy and sales territory.

Isn't the killing off what we saw with the Mafia...kind of?

It took decades of police work closing them to smaller and smaller ranks and in the end they either killed each other or got old and died off. 

They were replaced with another group (nature abhors a void) but time and perseverance takes care of everything eventually.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Big story over the weekend about another shooting in Chicago

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-man-shot-and-killed-by-police-identified-additional-protests-planned-20180715-story.html#

Difference is folks protested over this one and demanded change.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

In one day ? In just one town ?

This is more than Iraq I guess ...

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

One of the best things about being a middle class white dude is that you can stockpile arms and brag up how you'd bravely blow away intruders or the government while simultaneously looking down on those violent gang members for shooting people the "wrong" way...or something. No matter how much we romanticize guns and shooting people in our minds, on television, or in cases where people open fire on someone who is stealing something we can all agree that black people shoot people for the wrong reasons. We shoot people in defense, right?

So I can say that I'd defend my home/property/family with lethal force since I live in a red county BUT if I lived in the slums I'd either just flat-out walk out of there and go live a respectable life, or I'd refuse to participate in that violent lifestyle. Hell, just call it poor vs not as poor. We do gun violence right, and they do it wrong.
(07-16-2018, 04:24 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: In one day ? In just one town ?

This is more than Iraq I guess ...

In the 3rd largest city in the US over the course of 5 days. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-16-2018, 05:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: One of the best things about being a middle class white dude is that you can stockpile arms and brag up how you'd bravely blow away intruders or the government while simultaneously looking down on those violent gang members for shooting people the "wrong" way...or something.  No matter how much we romanticize guns and shooting people in our minds, on television, or in cases where people open fire on someone who is stealing something we can all agree that black people shoot people for the wrong reasons.  We shoot people in defense, right?

So I can say that I'd defend my home/property/family with lethal force since I live in a red county BUT if I lived in the slums I'd either just flat-out walk out of there and go live a respectable life, or I'd refuse to participate in that violent lifestyle.  Hell, just call it poor vs not as poor.  We do gun violence right, and they do it wrong.

I would say that that has something to do with white privilege.... except that since I am white, I'm not sure that that even exists. Ninja
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]