Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Will Tomlin Cave?
(10-04-2018, 07:04 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Couple of things....$15M guaranteed for a RB for 1 year is exceptional and, aside from Gurley who signed AFTER the tag was placed on Bell, is far and away the most for the position. 

Losing $8M in the present isn't guaranteeing the he won't miss out on the 50-70 mil later. If it were, then I would understand his position. Chances are high that he could have had both. Of course there's always the chance that an injury ruins his opportunity at the larger guarantee, but he's not fully eliminating that chance. He's only reducing it by 60%. It's entirely possible that he loses the $8M and severely injures himself causing him to miss out on the 50-70M.

Correct

So he reducing 400 touches to 100 to medigate risk. You’re saying basically that’s fine except he’s still taking a risk to get a contract he may not get either way and losing out on potential to make a huge chunk of change now.

I can see value in both positions. I’m not angry with him taking the position he chose as some people seem to be but I think I understand it. your argument is completely valid too.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 07:22 PM)motoarch Wrote: Correct

So he reducing 400 touches to 100 to medigate risk.  You’re saying basically that’s fine except he’s still taking a risk to get a contract he may not get either way and losing out on potential to make a huge chunk of change now.

I can see value in both positions.  I’m not angry with him taking the position he chose as some people seem to be but I think I understand it.  your argument is completely valid too.

Im not angry, I just think it's dumb. I fully believe that he could have signed his offer, got his $14.5M, played his 16 games, got his 1,000,000 touches without injury, and STILL cashed in in free agency. Even if he would have been injured along the way, there's a very high probability that it wouldn't have been bad enough to impact his free agency value.....and even IF he were to be injured so severely that it would, getting as much money as you can before the injury is critical. 

I understand his position on the macro-level, but digging deeper and actually looking at it more closely on the micro-level, it doesn't make sense. 
Reply/Quote
Sorry didn’t mean to imply you personally were angry. Their are a lot of other people that seem to be though.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 06:53 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Everything that you wrote here is 100% accurate and true. However it has nothing to do with my post, nor does it refute it. In fact it only enhances my point that Bell is an idiot for not taking all of the right now-guaranteed money of the franchise tag. 

If injuries are worse for a RB than a CB regarding their impact on future values, then that is all the more reason to take the $14.5M of the franchise tag since Bell can't completely mitigate the chance for injury by sitting out. He can only reduce it by roughly 60%. If Bell were to suffer the same injury as Earl Thomas when he comes back, except that his will greatly impact his future performance, he's going to wish that he had the extra $9.5M that he's walking away from.  

The more of a beating Bell takes this year, the less he is worth next year on the open market. It isn't just the risk of a single catastrophic injury.  It's also the general wear and tear on his body.  His concern is that the Steelers are going to run him into the ground, and that's a founded fear after they gave him a career high number of touches when he played under the tag last year.

Another part of his thought process may be that he wants to try to make sure that he's got enough left when he's done with his next deal to latch onto a contender and try to shoot for a ring.

I get that you think that the proverbial bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, but pro athletes have to roll the dice at times to maximise their earnings before their bodies crap out. You can't just take the first thing that comes along every time.  Sometimes it pays off, other times it doesn't, but they all have to make that decision for themselves.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes, you can take the family to Old Mans Cave or Ohio Caverns, but there is nothing like taking the family to the Will Tomlin Cave. Excellent camp grounds. Located in Knarlysville Ohio, the cave was known for many crickets. So the cave was named after English cricketer William Tomlin. The right handed batsmen highest score was in 1894 of 140 points against Marylebone Cricket Club. His right arm medium pace claimed 8 wickets at an average of 43.25. The Leicestershire cricketer retired in 1899. Sadly the good folk of Knarlysville Ohio now realize this has little to do with Ohio crickets, buy it remains Will Tomlin Cave because they already have the name on all gift shop items, such as post cards and plastic crickets.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 11:35 PM)Whatever Wrote: The more of a beating Bell takes this year, the less he is worth next year on the open market. It isn't just the risk of a single catastrophic injury.  It's also the general wear and tear on his body.  His concern is that the Steelers are going to run him into the ground, and that's a founded fear after they gave him a career high number of touches when he played under the tag last year.

Another part of his thought process may be that he wants to try to make sure that he's got enough left when he's done with his next deal to latch onto a contender and try to shoot for a ring.

I get that you think that the proverbial bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, but pro athletes have to roll the dice at times to maximise their earnings before their bodies crap out. You can't just take the first thing that comes along every time.  Sometimes it pays off, other times it doesn't, but they all have to make that decision for themselves.  

I agree, but when you're the highest paid RB, you should expect to have the most touches.
Reply/Quote
I can almost see a scenario in which Bell gets nothing. He sits out the entire season and as a result gets blackballed and nobody will touch him until he's too old to play.. I seriously doubt that happens, but it's not beyond the rhelm of possibility.. All that said, some team would sign him and he could get injured on his first play.  That too has happened to players. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 12:55 PM)McC Wrote: I'd say Tomlin will do whatever he sees as the best way to get a grip on the job that is slipping though his fingers.

tomlin could lose every single game this year the rest of the way out and rooney would say how committed they are to keeping tomlin as head coach.  He's as safe as a baby in it's momma's arms.  Book it.  
Reply/Quote