Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11yr Old Shoots Home Invader
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/boy-11-fatally-shoots-teenage-intruder-during-home-invasion-n421441

"An 11-year-old St. Louis-area boy fatally shot a 16-year-old who entered his home during an alleged home invasion Thursday, police said. "

"It's troubling to say the least and shows that too many young people have access to handguns and the results are usually tragic"- St. Louis County Sgt. Brian Schellman

A 16yr old and 2 accomplices were intending to break into a house with an 11 and 4yr old and the only sad thing is the weapon existed ?

I'm sure they were breaking in to offer ice cream.

It's sad, but I'm tired of hearing the same old script from parents of the young criminals.
"He was a good boy"
"He didn't do nuthin'"
"He was just gettin' his life on track"
"He went to church"

The action is the action, it is sad, but there are no real excuses for B&E or robbing a convenience store.
You play the game, you pay the price.
I feel really bad for the 11yr old, in this case.
He has to live with the choice he made to protect his baby sister, for the rest of his life.
Sad
Home invasion robber gets killed equals positive outcome. I hope this poor eleven year old comes to terms with his completely justifiable actions and I hope the sixteen year old's accomplice gets charged with first degree murder as the law requires.
(09-03-2015, 11:18 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Home invasion robber gets killed equals positive outcome.  I hope this poor eleven year old comes to terms with his completely justifiable actions and I hope the sixteen year old's accomplice gets charged with first degree murder as the law requires.

Well, positive considering the highest likely possible alternatives.
Thanks for the mention of the charges for the accomplice.
I had forgotten about that possibility.
Well, I blame the parents of the 11 year old for leaving him alone at home with a 4 year old sibling. If the parents would have been there then they just would have spanked the intruders.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
The last sentence seems like it was reported out of context.

But, I've also read stories about a father fatally shooting his son who he suspected was an intruder. And a kid fatally shooting himself in the head with an Uzi while his dad was standing there watching.
(09-03-2015, 11:18 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Home invasion robber gets killed equals positive outcome.  I hope this poor eleven year old comes to terms with his completely justifiable actions and I hope the sixteen year old's accomplice gets charged with first degree murder as the law requires.

Yup. And media attention, if there is any won't help the issue.
I'm actually being sincere when I say this one kid using his access to a gun to stop intruders is probably worth about 10,000 11 year olds who end up accidentally shooting themselves or others. I just have to wonder if the lesson criminals learn is going to be "Don't break into houses unless you want to risk being shot" or "If you break into a house you might be shot, so you'd better be prepared to shoot first."

Personally, I've never been in trouble in my life but I have to think the last thing I would do these days is commit a crime whilst unarmed and unable to protect myself from armed er...would be victims? Either way, more guns for all!

Agree 100%.

Proud of this kid for stepping up to protect his sister. Those parents are raising a good boy there. Hope he will be alright.

Fully agree.  But, hey, this is STL who's to say that was the parents' gun Rolleyes

But whoever mentioned them being home alone has a point.  11 is 4th-5th grade, which you can argue can be left alone for short periods.  It is really unfortunate he did what he did, and like you say I hope he can move past it.

This is one of those really weird situations where 9 times out of 10 the kids would have seen the house was occupied and ran...and 1 out of 100 something awful might of happened, and the rest the kids get over being traumatized by a routine break-in.  

So I'm not going to pass judgement on anyone, it's just very unfortunate and strange.  The tragedy here is that an 11-yr old was put in this situation, but I'm not sure who is to blame.
(09-04-2015, 05:22 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Fully agree.  But, hey, this is STL who's to say that was the parents' gun Rolleyes

But whoever mentioned them being home alone has a point.  11 is 4th-5th grade, which you can argue can be left alone for short periods.  It is really unfortunate he did what he did, and like you say I hope he can move past it.

This is one of those really weird situations where 9 times out of 10 the kids would have seen the house was occupied and ran...and 1 out of 100 something awful might of happened, and the rest the kids get over being traumatized by a routine break-in.  

So I'm not going to pass judgement on anyone, it's just very unfortunate and strange.  The tragedy here is that an 11-yr old was put in this situation, but I'm not sure who is to blame.

I hope pat weighs in on this, I wonder how this situation would have gone over in his area.  Since that's where the free range parents got their children taken away by the county.  

Would the parents lose their kids if this happened there?
Good for him. I feel bad that he was put in this position and has to deal with this mentally at his age, but good for him.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(09-04-2015, 10:11 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I hope pat weighs in on this, I wonder how this situation would have gone over in his area.  Since that's where the free range parents got their children taken away by the county.  

Would the parents lose their kids if this happened there?

There is a big difference between leaving children alone in their own home and leaving them alone out in public with no supervision.

You can still get in trouble for leaving a child too young at home alone.  But the rules are much stricter about leaving them alone out in public.

I don't see anything wrong with leaving an 11 year old home without supervision for short periods of time.
(09-04-2015, 10:26 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't see anything wrong with leaving an 11 year old home without supervision for short periods of time.

I don't either....however I would have more reservations given the 11 year old is now responsible for a 4 year old.  
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

[Image: 161anvk.jpg]
(09-04-2015, 10:30 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I don't either....however I would have more reservations given the 11 year old is now responsible for a 4 year old.  

Yeah, a 4 y/o shouldn't be left alone. An 11 y/o shouldn't be left in charge of a 4 y/o.

I live in a nice neighborhood and know the majority of break ins occur during business hours when most homeowners are at work.
[Image: 2n8vj20.jpg]

The tragedy here is that the kid learned nothing from the Home Alone movies.
This quote from CNN is concerning, maybe we should wait for all the facts.

"At least one neighbor, however, offered a different account of the shooting, telling CNN affiliate KMOV that the boys were arguing on the front porch before the younger child pulled out a gun and shot the teenager."
(09-04-2015, 12:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: This quote from CNN is concerning, maybe we should wait for all the facts.

"At least one neighbor, however, offered a different account of the shooting, telling CNN affiliate KMOV that the boys were arguing on the front porch before the younger child pulled out a gun and shot the teenager."

So, an 11 yr old shot the 16yr old on the porch, drug the larger person into the house, and the police never noticed ?
Doesn't add up.

What I would believe is the older kid chased the younger one inside the house after an argument.
(09-04-2015, 10:36 AM)Blutarsky Wrote: [Image: 161anvk.jpg]
Who is that?  serious question.
(09-04-2015, 01:54 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Who is that?  serious question.

That's someone who is all about banning guns so any time you say anything that indicates guns aren't the greatest thing ever you get compared to her.