Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12 Russian intelligence officers indicted for hacking into DNC, Clinton campaign
This might make the Trump/Putin meeting a little awkward.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/07/13/russia-investigation-12-russian-nationals-indicted-2016-hacking/782471002/

Quote:Twelve Russian nationals were indicted for hacking into the Democratic National Committee and the Clinton presidential campaign in 2016, the Justice Department announced Friday.

The 12 defendants, all Russian intelligence officers, "engaged in a sustained effort to hack into the computer networks of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, the DNC and the presidential campaign of Hillary Clinton," special counsel Robert Mueller alleged in his indictment.

Mueller charged that the purpose of the conspiracy was "to hack into the computers of U.S. persons and entities involved in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, steal documents from those computers, and stage the release of the stolen documents to interfere with the 2016 U.S. presidential election."

These are the first charges from Mueller's probe that directly accuse the Russian government of attempting to influence the Russian government. Still, the indictment contained no allegations that the actions altered the vote count or changed the outcome of the 2016 presidential elections.

"The Internet allows foreign adversaries to attack America in new and unexpected ways," Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein said. 

The group also allegedly conspired to hack into computers of state election boards, secretaries of State and U.S. companies that supplied software and other technology related to election administrations.

Because the Russian officials remain in Russia, it is highly unlikely that they will ever be prosecuted in the United States. Nevertheless, the U.S. action follows a practice of so-called "naming and shaming" of foreign government operatives implicated in actions against the U.S.

[Image: 636670832946423902-Rosenstein002.JPG?wid...5&fit=crop]
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein holds at a news conference, Wednesday. (Photo: Jack Gruber, USA TODAY)

The 11-count indictment included charges of conspiracy, aggravated identity theft and money laundering. Federal prosecutors asserted that the Russian hackers corresponded with "several" Americans. Rosenstein said there was no evidence that the Americans were aware that they were corresponding with Russian intelligence officers.

Rosenstein said he briefed President Donald Trump on the case earlier this week, prior to Trump's scheduled meeting with Putin in Helsinki on Monday.

The deputy attorney general said the announcement of the charges were made with "no regard to politics," adding that the evidence was "sufficient" to bring the case.

The suspects, according to the indictment, were attached to two military divisions of Russia's Main Intelligence Directorate, known as the GRU — Unit 26165 and Unit 74455. In 2016, Unit 26165 operatives allegedly launched spearphishing campaigns — sending misleading emails to targets in attempts to steal usernames, passwords and other personal information — against the Clinton campaign.

No Americans involved knowingly according to the info today.

Tweetstorm coming from the POTUS in 3...2...1....
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Trump supporters will turn a blind eye (deaf ear) to this as they run around claiming America first. Trump will probably offer to pardon them in his one on one no Americans allowed with Putin and his stooges.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(07-13-2018, 03:20 PM)jj22 Wrote: Trump supporters will turn a blind eye (deaf ear) to this as they run around claiming America first. Trump will probably offer to pardon them in his one on one no Americans allowed with Putin and his stooges.

I'm wondering how that's going to go over, as I'd expect him to do it after the next election (provided they're all through the courts, which I imagine they'll press to have it wrapped up). 
(07-13-2018, 03:20 PM)jj22 Wrote: Trump supporters will turn a blind eye (deaf ear) to this as they run around claiming America first. Trump will probably offer to pardon them in his one on one no Americans allowed with Putin and his stooges.

(07-13-2018, 03:27 PM)Benton Wrote: I'm wondering how that's going to go over, as I'd expect him to do it after the next election (provided they're all through the courts, which I imagine they'll press to have it wrapped up). 

Ummmm: "Because the Russian officials remain in Russia, it is highly unlikely that they will ever be prosecuted in the United States.

I get it. 'Trump's bad.' But, can we at least be rational in our hate for the man?
That doesn't mean he can't pardon them (which would allow them to return to the US freely for example). What exactly are you talking about PhilHos?

Do you believe Assange can't be pardoned since he's not in the US?

Seems the only irrational folks is those desperate to help Trump cover the attack against this great Nation up.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(07-13-2018, 03:33 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Ummmm: "Because the Russian officials remain in Russia, it is highly unlikely that they will ever be prosecuted in the United States.

I get it. 'Trump's bad.' But, can we at least be rational in our hate for the man?

Wait, I'm getting confused, I thought Trump was president of Russia?

Mellow

Really, though, I'm referring to guys like Mannafort and Flynn. Who probably are still American.
(07-13-2018, 03:36 PM)jj22 Wrote: That doesn't mean he can't pardon them (which would allow them to return to the US freely for example). What exactly are you talking about PhilHos?

If they're unlikely to be charged, why would he pardon them?
(07-13-2018, 03:44 PM)PhilHos Wrote: If they're unlikely to be charged, why would he pardon them?

They'll be charged...they just will never been sent here for trial.
(07-13-2018, 03:42 PM)Benton Wrote: Wait, I'm getting confused, I thought Trump was president of Russia?

Mellow

Really, though, I'm referring to guys like Mannafort and Flynn. Who probably are still American.

Well, yeah, THOSE guys, I could see getting a presidential pardon.
(07-13-2018, 03:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: They'll be charged...they just will never been sent here for trial.

Wrong choice of words on my part. I meant to use "prosecuted" as that's the word used by the article.
(07-13-2018, 03:44 PM)PhilHos Wrote: If they're unlikely to be charged, why would he pardon them?

Because it will make liberals mad?
(07-13-2018, 04:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Because it will make liberals mad?

Are you trying to convince me that it's a good idea? Because ... you are.  Mellow
(07-13-2018, 04:08 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Are you trying to convince me that it's a good idea? Because ... you are.  Mellow

If there were anything more important than making liberals mad we wouldn't have elected Trump.
Maybe trump will rustle them up and bring him back with him.

As to the findings: I think by now everyone realizes that the Russian were poking around in our election. Luckily there have been no proof of collusion or if it biased the outcome.

Isn't the DNC a private organization?

WTS< I hope POTUS brings Putin to task over it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-13-2018, 04:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If there were anything more important than making liberals mad we wouldn't have elected Trump.

I tried to think of something more important, but came up blank.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-13-2018, 04:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: WTS< I hope POTUS brings Putin to task over it.

You might have to sprinkle some extra pixie dust on that hope 
DNC cheats for Hillary: It's OK the DNC is a private organization

DNC hacked by Russia: This is huge and tears at the very fabric of out electoral process.

(07-13-2018, 06:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: DNC cheats for Hillary: It's OK the DNC is a private organization

DNC hacked by Russia: This is huge and tears at the very fabric of out electoral process.

Quick question. Is an unfriendly foreign country infiltrating the campaign of our politicians a more pressing issue than than some personal messages shared between lovers? Asking for a friend
(07-13-2018, 06:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: DNC cheats for Hillary: It's OK the DNC is a private organization

Well, at least you understand one is much worse than the other.

A little hyperbole though.
(07-13-2018, 06:56 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Quick question. Is an unfriendly foreign country infiltrating the campaign of our politicians a more pressing issue than than some personal messages shared between lovers? Asking for a friend

It would have to depend on the context of the messages and the positions held by the parties. Tell your friend we need a little more info, but generally speaking an insider threat is more dangerous than an outsider threat.