Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12th man
(11-20-2017, 10:42 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Just saw on MNF how the Seahawks had a 95 year old veteran nurse raise the 12th man flag at the game tonight. Gruden stated how that was chilling. The fans there were really showing their support. Why can't our Bengals do stuff like that to get the fans engaged and energized in our games? They don't do anything to get the fans involved. Yes I know they have the 50th celebration this year but how far does that go? They need some young blood to come up with something to really get the fans energized.

I tell you when I go to games it seems bengals fans forget their job in the stadium...  Except 2 games ive been too where it was rockin...  
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 07:18 AM)Beaker Wrote: Below are some of the reasons the Bengals won't have a 12th man situation like seattle's:

Negativity and always seeing the glass half empty by a large contingent of Bengals fans are a big part of why that can't happen here. 

Twenty six seasons between postseason wins, a lame duck coach without a playoff win in 15 seasons, and the 2nd worst decade in all of professional sports history will do that to a fanbase.  Mike Brown has done himself ZERO favors in this department.

As to the OP, you want to energize the fans?  Have a 95 year old vet come out onto the field and fire Piano Man and Mediocre Merv on the 50 yard line.  I'd pay DAMN good money to see that.....even cheer madly. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 11:02 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I tell you when I go to games it seems bengals fans forget their job in the stadium...  Except 2 games ive been too where it was rockin...  

Shoulda been at Riverfront back in the 80s. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 11:43 AM)Wyche Wrote: Shoulda been at Riverfront back in the 80s.
Before my time...
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 11:46 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Before my time...

My condolences.... LMAO Wink

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 09:49 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Seattle's stadium looks like a canoe.  It was designed to be loud.  Half their moronic fans wear jerseys with the number 12.  They are all about themselves and the announcers declaring they can't hear themselves makes them cream.

To add to that, I've been to SafeCo many times for a game and I can tell you that 75% people are clueless as to what is going on. 
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 11:25 AM)Wyche Wrote: Twenty six seasons between postseason wins, a lame duck coach without a playoff win in 15 seasons, and the 2nd worst decade in all of professional sports history will do that to a fanbase.  Mike Brown has done himself ZERO favors in this department.

Exactly. No way is this the fans' fault.  It's the fault of that stubborn old fool that inherited the team. He has no idea how to do anything that isn't tied to maximizing his family's wealth.

If the glass is half empty it's because it has a giant crack.

[Image: mike_484x480.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure the Bengals will get support from a 12th man unless they first support the fan base and fan or season ticket experience gets a lot better.

As a season ticket holder, I would be of the opinion that the Bengals are bare minimum in fan events, appreciation, and involvement. They miss a huge opportunity, I would think, to keep fans excited and involved around or coming to PBS during the off-season - which is when season tickets are typically sold. It would be really cool if once a month or even every two weeks they held a fan event down there in the club areas or the practice fields. This could range anything from having guest speakers come in about the team, getting fan incites on how to make game day experience and involvement better, charity or community functions, lunch events for local businesses or business workers down town, etc. The Bengals ownership group just aren't very fun - and I think that's definitely a reflection of their personalities or all about business mentality. It's 2017 and people are starting to expect MORE from the companies they support. Overall, the Bengals are missing a HUGE opportunity to engage and entertain fans and keep them interested outside of getting wasted on game day. This type of involvement would, I think, keep fans engaged enough to continue to buy season tickets and merchandise rather than the "catch and release" in-season/off-season cycle, regardless of winning or losing.

My general attitude is this: The Bengals can lose (as long as they are trying or exhibiting effort organizationally to do better*) and I can still have a great time being a fan, spending money, and enjoying my time at PBS. It's not all about winning a Superbowl or playoffs every year. Being a fan and supporting the Bengals/local team is about enjoying the experience... YEAR ROUND.

While I no longer put on-field success on ownership and upper management, I definitely DO think the 12th man engagement starts at the top. That's not on Marvin or the players. The Bengals need to be the ones to first put down their sword in regards to the way they look at their fans. That has been a contentious relationship for a long time. It's time to let that go and for them to give FIRST. Those dividends will pay off.

Lastly, I found it weird to get an email the other day for a Bengals season ticket holder referral program with tiers and rewards for each season ticket account you refer. I'm not sure they had ever had this before. Someone in their marketing program needs to realize that fans want tangible involvement and positive experiences in and around the stadium. THAT will lead to referrals. NOT the promise of a $50 jersey you can buy at any sports store. People will sell your product for free if it's excellent. I'm not even talking on-field performance here. The marketing team at PBS needs to figure out how to evolve before a 12th man will show up knocking on their door.

*We'll see if they bring back Marvin or not. That, to me, would be a final sign of status quo and I would stop going to games and buying merch/tickets until Marvin is gone. I've bought in enough on Marvin Lewis/status quo and am cashing out my Marvin stock at the end of this season.
Reply/Quote
You know..if they really wanted to pack the place in they'd drop ticket prices to somewhere so even the casual fan could afford to bring their families to watch games once in awhile. It wouldn't have to be all season either, just a few games per season .
I wouldn't buy them just because I hate cold weather and crowds of people , but that's a different issue..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2017, 01:46 PM)grampahol Wrote: You know..if they really wanted to pack the place in they'd drop ticket prices to somewhere so even the casual fan could afford to bring their families to watch games once in awhile. It wouldn't have to be all season either, just a few games per season .
I wouldn't buy them just because I hate cold weather and crowds of people , but that's a different issue..

Hard to say...clearly the Bengals aren't the 0-10 Browns, but the gf is a Jaguars fan so we went to the Jaguars @ Browns game on Sunday (we live in NW PA) and the place was super empty even though seats were going for $6 on Stub Hub.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 10:42 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Just saw on MNF how the Seahawks had a 95 year old veteran nurse raise the 12th man flag at the game tonight. Gruden stated how that was chilling. The fans there were really showing their support. Why can't our Bengals do stuff like that to get the fans engaged and energized in our games? They don't do anything to get the fans involved. Yes I know they have the 50th celebration this year but how far does that go? They need some young blood to come up with something to really get the fans energized.

50th anniversary is easy and lazy. Call a few guys and trot them out to the 50 yard line to wave at home games. 

Don't expect anything any more innovative from the Bengals front office.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 07:18 AM)Beaker Wrote: Below are some of the reasons the Bengals won't have a 12th man situation like seattle's:

Negativity and always seeing the glass half empty by a large contingent of Bengals fans are a big part of why that can't happen here. 

Fan's reaction, negative/positive has no part in a team's performance. I've been in Riverfront stadium back in the '80s when the Bengals were really good. When they were rolling, you couldn't hear yourself screaming, that's how loud the place was. 

Still didn't win them any Super Bowls. Your new age, witchcraft voodoo is bupkis. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
The 12th man is merely a symptom coming from the quality of the organization, the product they put on the field, and their interactions with their fanbase.

Blaming fans for being too negative or whatever is not the cause of a lack of a 12th man. The fans being too negative is again a symptom from those things above. Fix the organization, fix the product on the field, and fix how they interact with fans, then there would be a 12th man.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2017, 01:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hard to say...clearly the Bengals aren't the 0-10 Browns, but the gf is a Jaguars fan so we went to the Jaguars @ Browns game on Sunday (we live in NW PA) and the place was super empty even though seats were going for $6 on Stub Hub.

Yeah, it looks like the clock is running out on the great Hue experiment.  1-25 won't put butts in the seat, no matter how promising his tenure was at the outset.

Hope you at least had a few laughs watching that dumpster fire of an organization implode in person.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2017, 02:37 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Fan's reaction, negative/positive has no part in a team's performance. I've been in Riverfront stadium back in the '80s when the Bengals were really good. When they were rolling, you couldn't hear yourself screaming, that's how loud the place was. 

Still didn't win them any Super Bowls. Your new age, witchcraft voodoo is bupkis. 

If you don't think the players hear and feel the fan negativity then you're in denial. You said yourself in your post "they were rolling". The SB is one game....any game can be won or lost. But they got there, didn't they?
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 12:11 PM)Beaker Wrote: If you don't think the players hear and feel the fan negativity then you're in denial. You said yourself in your post "they were rolling". The SB is one game....any game can be won or lost. But they got there, didn't they?

And didn't win either. That's why it's bupkis. 

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2017, 02:08 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: And didn't win either. That's why it's bupkis. 

They lost 4 other games that season too. But the fact is, they got to the big game when fan support was at its best. Fans were expecting something great. As opposed to when they went 12-4 in 2015 and fans were expecting the bottom to fall out in the playoffs. 
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2017, 12:17 PM)Beaker Wrote: They lost 4 other games that season too. But the fact is, they got to the big game when fan support was at its best. Fans were expecting something great. As opposed to when they went 12-4 in 2015 and fans were expecting the bottom to fall out in the playoffs. 

I think we can both agree (or should be able to) that after what happened from '11-'14 (as well as Marv's record overall), and with Dalton injured, expectations were quite a bit different. 

No?

Reply/Quote