Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15 Unrestricted Free Agents
(01-30-2023, 02:00 AM)casear2727 Wrote: The team spent as much as necessary the last couple of years, no reason for them to stop.  

There is no salary number to keep Lou.  He will only leave for a HC job and we cant pay him enough to not accept one.

As much good press as he is getting it will be difficult for him.

No team has requested to interview Lou.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:59 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Boyd is going to be paid 8.5 million next year.  It's time to let him go and use that money for other needs.  Likewise, Mixon is going to make 9.5 million.  Thats 18 milllion between the 2 of them that could be saved for better use.

What is the cap hit if we let them go ? could we trade them to get anything?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 09:53 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: What is the cap hit if we let them go ? could we trade them to get anything?

I think the Mixon cap hit is actually pretty significant.
Reply/Quote
As far as guys that aren't coming back, there are some pretty obvious ones. Bates and Pratt are probably inking big contracts somewhere else. Their replacements are in-house and can be backfilled with young players in the draft. The Bengals do a solid job drafting linebackers and safeties, so I'm less concerned about these departures.

Guys that could go are Boyd, Mixon, maybe Jonah and perhaps Bell.

I'd hate to see Vonn go in the same year as Bates. Mixon's cap number, if I remember right, comes with a lot of dead cap. Joe's been a great Bengal, but replacing a running back is less difficult than replacing other offensive weapons. Teams with 50 million dollar qbs churn young running backs. They don't pay big bucks to established ones on 2nd and 3rd contracts.

Jonah is a tough one. If Carman can convince the staff that he can be trusted, I think Jonah can walk. Williams is going to get paid a lot of money just because of the position he plays, and I'm not sure he provides the value you want for that level of commitment.

Boyd's deal seems like a pretty reasonable one for a player of his caliber. If there's a way to keep him, you make it happen. You aren't getting a better player for 8.5 mil per year. On the other hand, the league had a glut of receiver talent. You can get dudes for less that might not be 1s or 2s, but would be just fine as 3rd options. Receivers get paid, but possession receivers less so.

Hurst will be a tough one as well. We all like him and he likes being here. If someone is going to shell out big bucks for him, then he probably needs to go and secure his financial future while the iron is hot. The Bengals aren't an offense that leans on a TE, so paying one big money makes little sense.
Reply/Quote
Duke needs to nail the '23 draft and we need guys like Carman, Hill, CTB, and Volson to continue to develop as players.
Reply/Quote
I assume Bates and Pratt are gone. They both want big contracts and won't get them here. I imagine Apple and Harris are gone. I think bringing Bell back is important. Would be nice to keep Hurst and Perine. Drew Sample sure, but I'm sure they'll offer him pennies. Despite what some have suggested, Boyd and Mixon will almost assuredly play out their contracts here. By the time Burrow's big cap hit comes, Mixon will be gone. I hope they stay aggressive on fixing the offensive line. I was in awe of the Eagles O line yesterday. They drove the entire D line back 4 yards on a goal line run where the RB just walked in untouched.
Reply/Quote
Bates - gone

Pratt - think he’s gone 3 down backer great in coverage will get paid. Can’t pay him , Wilson and everyone else. Davis-Gaither will step in.

Bell /Apple - Both prob can come back on reasonable deals. Prefer Bell don’t want Dax with another new safety. If Apple walks got Cam in year two and awuzie coming back.

Realistically with Burrow, Chase, Higgins and Wilson all needing to get paid plus a lot of guys on D on 2nd contracts I don’t see this team making any big splashes in free agency. Think reinforcements come by getting the line back healthy and drafted guys like Volson, Hill, Carter , Britt-Taylor and Ossia continuing to get better.
Reply/Quote
Can they ditch Mixon this year and save some money? They could use the draft to replace him.
Reply/Quote
Bates had a Meh season. His price just went down. I'm ready to move on from Mixon, he just doesn't have it anymore. He's always two steps late in turning north and south. He sees the hole, but by the time he make his move and hits it, the hole is closed. Need to draft a speed back to pair with Perine. Cut Mixon and sign Boyd. Bell is a must sign.
Reply/Quote
Bell I think we 100% resign. I think Bates and Pratt are 100% gone. The rest I am unsure about.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
Hurst was ok this year and I'm cool with keeping him. But, we need a capable #2 guy.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:21 AM)grampahol Wrote: That's always made me a bit nervous with any Mike Brown owned team, but maybe the girls lay on the charm offensive to grandpa and he spends like a drunken sailor to protect Joe and maybe even keep Lou!

I think they have Mike playing with puzzles and watching Matlock. At least, I hope so.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Just messed around and did a 4 round Mock on PFN and this is what i came up with. Tried to overhaul the OL a bit, but how about Skoronski at RT, Carman-LT, Wypler at Center, move Karras to LG and Cappa at RG. You have Darnell Wright as insurance for either Tackle spot and Volson as a backup too. Chase Brown at RB and let Joe move on.
CIN

Peter Skoronski
OT Northwestern
CIN

Darnell Wright
OT Tennessee
CIN

Luke Wypler
OC Ohio State
CIN

Chase Brown
RB Illinois
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 02:08 AM)casear2727 Wrote: He is the 32nd highest paid WR in the league and generally regarded as the best WR3.... how would that make sense?

Well, he's making low end WR1 money and he's only a WR3.  

The "best WR3" argument is pretty weak, imo.  He disappeared when Chase was out earlier this year.  He's been invisible in the playoffs, with only 199 receiving yards in 7 playoff games.  He has had critical drops in big moments(SB, KC earlier this year).  He gets erased whenever he's matched up with good CB's(Marlon Humphrey has shut him down numerous times).
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 10:23 AM)samhain Wrote: As far as guys that aren't coming back, there are some pretty obvious ones.  Bates and Pratt are probably inking big contracts somewhere else.  Their replacements are in-house and can be backfilled with young players in the draft.  The Bengals do a solid job drafting linebackers and safeties, so I'm less concerned about these departures.  

I'd hate to see Vonn go in the same year as Bates.  Mixon's cap number, if I remember right, comes with a lot of dead cap.  Joe's been a great Bengal, but replacing a running back is less difficult than replacing other offensive weapons.  Teams with 50 million dollar qbs churn young running backs.  They don't pay big bucks to established ones on 2nd and 3rd contracts.

Jonah is a tough one.  If Carman can convince the staff that he can be trusted, I think Jonah can walk.  Williams is going to get paid a lot of money just because of the position he plays, and I'm not sure he provides the value you want for that level of commitment.  

Boyd's deal seems like a pretty reasonable one for a player of his caliber.  If there's a way to keep him, you make it happen.  You aren't getting a better player for 8.5 mil per year.  On the other hand, the league had a glut of receiver talent.  You can get dudes for less that might not be 1s or 2s, but would be just fine as 3rd options.  Receivers get paid, but possession receivers less so.  

Hurst will be a tough one as well.  We all like him and he likes being here.  If someone is going to shell out big bucks for him, then he probably needs to go and secure his financial future while the iron is hot.  The Bengals aren't an offense that leans on a TE, so paying one big money makes little sense.

Agree. I really hope they can retain Bell. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 02:08 AM)casear2727 Wrote: He is the 32nd highest paid WR in the league and generally regarded as the best WR3.... how would that make sense?

There are 32 teams. 32nd highest paid should equal close to a team's #1 receiver, not their 3rd receiver.

Boyd is clearly our #3, we need to pay Higgins by using some of the Boyd money, keep developing our other slot guys or look to a 4th round or worse draft pick. There are a lot of 3 receivers who Burrow could make look good.

I like Boyd, but he needs to be traded in my humble opinion.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 10:23 AM)samhain Wrote: As far as guys that aren't coming back, there are some pretty obvious ones.  Bates and Pratt are probably inking big contracts somewhere else.  Their replacements are in-house and can be backfilled with young players in the draft.  The Bengals do a solid job drafting linebackers and safeties, so I'm less concerned about these departures.  

I'd hate to see Vonn go in the same year as Bates.  Mixon's cap number, if I remember right, comes with a lot of dead cap.  Joe's been a great Bengal, but replacing a running back is less difficult than replacing other offensive weapons.  Teams with 50 million dollar qbs churn young running backs.  They don't pay big bucks to established ones on 2nd and 3rd contracts.

Jonah is a tough one.  If Carman can convince the staff that he can be trusted, I think Jonah can walk.  Williams is going to get paid a lot of money just because of the position he plays, and I'm not sure he provides the value you want for that level of commitment.  

Boyd's deal seems like a pretty reasonable one for a player of his caliber.  If there's a way to keep him, you make it happen.  You aren't getting a better player for 8.5 mil per year.  On the other hand, the league had a glut of receiver talent.  You can get dudes for less that might not be 1s or 2s, but would be just fine as 3rd options.  Receivers get paid, but possession receivers less so.  

Hurst will be a tough one as well.  We all like him and he likes being here.  If someone is going to shell out big bucks for him, then he probably needs to go and secure his financial future while the iron is hot.  The Bengals aren't an offense that leans on a TE, so paying one big money makes little sense.

Bengals exercised 5th year option on Jonah so only way he goes is if Bengals trade him in 2023.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 12:29 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There are 32 teams. 32nd highest paid should equal close to a team's #1 receiver, not their 3rd receiver.

Boyd is clearly our #3, we need to pay Higgins by using some of the Boyd money, keep developing our other slot guys or look to a 4th round or worse draft pick. There are a lot of 3 receivers who Burrow could make look good.

I like Boyd, but he needs to be traded in my humble opinion.

You saw what happened as soon as Boyd left the game, right? They automatically were able to double both Chase and Higgins. TB is an important part of this trio. You also have to factor in what happens when Chase or Higgins get injured and miss games. I'm a huge Irwin fan, he's a chain mover, but he's not a YAC guy as far as I can tell. Gotta keep TB.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 11:15 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Bates had a Meh season. His price just went down. I'm ready to move on from Mixon, he just doesn't have it anymore. He's always two steps late in turning north and south. He sees the hole, but by the time he make his move and hits it, the hole is closed. Need to draft a speed back to pair with Perine. Cut Mixon and sign Boyd. Bell is a must sign.

Bates had 1 really good season and most are maybe above average to average. He wants paid at elite.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 12:39 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You saw what happened as soon as Boyd left the game, right? They automatically were able to double both Chase and Higgins. TB is an important part of this trio. You also have to factor in what happens when Chase or Higgins get injured and miss games. I'm a huge Irwin fan, he's a chain mover, but he's not a YAC guy as far as I can tell. Gotta keep TB.

If anything, we probably need to add another young wr.
Reply/Quote