Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$15/hr minimum wage
(08-15-2018, 01:31 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: [Image: ocxCKY0hTkifvJAg3dd1nUw1YTaZ0PbKgxEbxrrB...9311730ae8]

Where do paramedics make $15 and hour?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-15-2018, 01:41 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Where do paramedics make $15 and hour?

Actually, that's not far off from what Fire/EMS around here makes.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(08-15-2018, 02:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Actually, that's not far off from what Fire/EMS around here makes.

Yeah but we already know about your area.  I'm talking the rest of the country outside of that miserly dot on the map you call home.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(08-15-2018, 02:42 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah but we already know about your area.  I'm talking the rest of the country outside of that miserly dot on the map you call home.

Ain't nothin' like Appalachia, y'all.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(08-15-2018, 10:20 AM)michaelsean Wrote: What kind of draconian school does your son go to that he's been in school a couple of weeks?

My kid's school started the 8th of this month; neighboring district started the 7th. Most of the rest around here started yesterday.

(08-15-2018, 01:41 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Where do paramedics make $15 and hour?

Welcome to western Kentucky!

My brother was a paramedic. He made $16 an hour. When he was just an EMT, he made $10-$12.

He quit eventually because he got tired of living in a trailer. Now he's a maintenance supervisor saving windows and makes about twice what he made saving people.
I have a question: if it says $15 minimum wage, that's before taxes, right? So how much is someone taking home per hour?
(08-17-2018, 11:09 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I have a question: if it says $15 minimum wage, that's before taxes, right?  So how much is someone taking home per hour?

Depends on local taxes, state, etc. But, generally, you can figure to bring home about 65% of your check. 

So for $15, after taxes they would bring home around $10 per hour.
(08-17-2018, 11:19 AM)Benton Wrote: Depends on local taxes, state, etc. But, generally, you can figure to bring home about 65% of your check. 

So for $15, after taxes they would bring home around $10 per hour.

Thanks.

I minored in Accounting and took classes, but it’s been so long ago that I forgot most of it lol.

That’s pretty ridiculous, though.
(08-17-2018, 02:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Thanks.

I minored in Accounting and took classes, but it’s been so long ago that I forgot most of it lol.

That’s pretty ridiculous, though.

Which part?

Making $15 an hour for a low skill job, or the government taking 1/3rd of your money (about $5) and giving back about $1-$2 in services you'll actually benefit from (Medicare, SS, local development projects, etc). while using the remaining $3-$4 to hand each other no bid contracts, spend money on military efforts that barely anyone in the US, etc.,?
(08-17-2018, 02:29 PM)Benton Wrote: Which part?

Making $15 an hour for a low skill job, or the government taking 1/3rd of your money (about $5) and giving back about $1-$2 in services you'll actually benefit from (Medicare, SS, local development projects, etc). while using the remaining $3-$4 to hand each other no bid contracts, spend money on military efforts that barely anyone in the US, etc.,?

It's always fun when young people get their first paycheck and invariably, one of their first questions is "What's FICA? And why is it taking my money?"  Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
(08-17-2018, 02:45 PM)PhilHos Wrote: It's always fun when young people get their first paycheck and invariably, one of their first questions is "What's FICA? And why is it taking my money?"  Smirk

My son's first job was at a pizza place when he was 15. He asked if I could take him to buy a PS game the weekend after he got paid. I asked him how many hours he worked (I knew it was less than 10). I told him he wouldn't have enough cash and he went through the whole "$7.55 times 9 hours" thing. 

He was disappointed when his $63.50 turned into about $47.

Government taking 1/3.
On topic, folks.
(08-14-2018, 07:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll play devil's advocate here and I'll say I'm not a big fan of scanning or bagging my own groceries lest Waltz Mart etc. get the big idea that I'm willing to do other peoples' jobs for free so they can up their profits.  Perhaps we are talking about different things, though.

Oh, I always opt for the self check-out.  Usually, because I'm in a hurry, and don't want to wait.  But, on those days that I'm getting a full cart, at least things are bagged in a way that makes sense when I get home, and it's so much more efficient in putting everything away.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23

They'll get just about all the income tax back.

Has anybody else ever met a dumb person?

Maybe its the lead paint chips they ate as a kid. Maybe its the lead in the water. Maybe its genetics. But some people are just omg you are dumb as f*@(.

Do those types work, grow up, have families and stuff?

When the machines learns how to tell when to push the gas and break and turn the steering wheel. Or when the fries are done and burger is ready...

What happens to the guys who cant follow simple instructions?

When it comes to the minimum wage conversation i cant help but think of intellectual capability.
(08-18-2018, 12:58 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Has anybody else ever met a dumb person?

Maybe its the lead paint chips they ate as a kid. Maybe its the lead in the water. Maybe its genetics. But some people are just omg you are dumb as f*@(.

Do those types work, grow up, have families and stuff?

When the machines learns how to tell when to push the gas and break and turn the steering wheel. Or when the fries are done and burger is ready...

What happens to the guys who cant follow simple instructions?

When it comes to the minimum wage conversation i cant help but think of intellectual capability.

We had a significant economic shift (and some good years) in this country when we weren't paying people based on intellectual capability but based on job desirability. You could make a good living working in a rough job (steel mills, coal mines, etc) Those jobs are largely gone as we've moved to a service industry. 

Which makes the '$15 for flipping burgers' a valid conversation. Used to, all the money was concentrated in a small sector and they paid well for labor to make them more money. If the system has been manipulated to reduce the cost of labor to increase the amount of service, that income shifts from labor to service.