Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'16-'17 "Hate Crime" Hysteria
Sure is falling apart now in hindsight compared to all of the hysteria of the time. Saw this today...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/israeli-american-teen-convicted-in-israel-for-bomb-threats-against-us-institutions/ar-AAzhZBj?OCID=ansmsnnews11
Quote:An Israeli-American teen was found guilty Thursday of making more than 1,000 bomb threats against Jewish and other organizations in the U.S. in recent years.

More than 1,000 bomb threats.

We heard for over a year about how there was a huge wave of antisemitism, and it turns out that over 1,000 of them (that they know of at least) was caused by 1 singular person.

With it turning out this one person was capable of creating an entire "hate crime wave" on his own, then combined with the fake hate crimes of the burning churches, graffiti'd cars, the guy who falsely claimed he was stabbed for his "white nationalist" haircut, the fake kidnapping of muslim girls who just wanted to stay out late, the military academy white board self-made hate message that got the big national speech, etc, etc....

All of which got national traction in that time of hysteria, only to be very quietly retracted/corrected.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying we've been all rainbows and kittens since the end of 2016, but I do wonder how history will look back on the mass hysteria of late '16/early '17... I just find it crazy how like 12 people lying over the span of 6-10 months could cause such a massive national ripple.

(EDIT: For anyone who might be interested: http://fakehatecrimes.org/ is an interesting/horrifying site to make you just ask yourself "WTF, people. Why?")

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
I would have to look at the stats, but I'm fairly certain there was an increase in hate crimes actually charged, which would still indicate an uptick.

Related: The Nazi cum stain that murdered Heather Heyer has been charged with a hate crime. This makes him eligible for the death penalty, which I hope he doesn't get. Not just because I am against the death penalty, but because that makes him a martyr.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-28-2018, 07:58 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:  I just find it crazy how like 12 people lying over the span of 6-10 months could cause such a massive national ripple.

There are thousands of legitimate hate crimes each year.  So the "hysteria" might have been due to them instead of just 12 people lying. 

There are false claims of all types of crimes that are not hate crimes.  So what exactly is the point of a website devoted to nothing but false hate crime claims? False theft claims are much more common. Why not keep track of them?
(06-28-2018, 08:13 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I would have to look at the stats, but I'm fairly certain there was an increase in hate crimes actually charged, which would still indicate an uptick.

Related: The Nazi cum stain that murdered Heather Heyer has been charged with a hate crime. This makes him eligible for the death penalty, which I hope he doesn't get. Not just because I am against the death penalty, but because that makes him a martyr.

As I said, not rainbows and kittens, but all the headlines at the time were talking about the huge increases and then later in the article mentioning that number was in reference to reported hate crimes, letting people who just skim article titles make their own assumption.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-hate-crimes-20-percent-2016-fueled-election-campaign-n733306
Quote:While some Jewish leaders have suspected the bomb threats may be linked to a higher profile for white nationalists animated by the Trump's campaign, Levin did not draw that direct link.

In New York City alone, there were 55 anti-Semitic crimes reported from Jan. 1 to March 5 this year, up 189 percent from 19 such incidents in the same period of 2016, the data showed.

Where they just said "20% increase!"... and you have to read into the article to find out that it's reported, not charged. They also specifically mention the bomb threats (which we now know were one singular person).

There are a lot more examples of it happening, but yeah..

- - - - - - -

As to your related, I wonder if they'll go for the death penalty. I actually do support the death penalty, though I think the process has gotten flawed over time.

While I think it should probably be used less for people who have any shred of defense for their crime, if a person was blatantly caught red-handed, I think the whole process needs to be expedited. Like Dylan Roof? We all know he did it, everyone saw him do it, so why should it take the decade(s) and many appeals to off him?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]