Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
16 year olds voting?
http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/44236066-story

Like we need more uninformed voters out there who can't think for themselves.
There is a reason we don't treat 16yr olds like adults.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
There are uninformed voters of all ages. I'd wager that there are 16 year olds that are better informed than many of us on here, and there are 50+ year olds who just vote down party lines without informing themselves.

I'm fine with people that are 16 being allowed to vote in an election. If they truly care, they'll inform themselves and vote, if they don't, they'll just stay home.
Younger folks voting has been a concept around for a while. One of the arguments, and a good one in my opinion, for it is that elections are as much, if not more so, about the future than the present. The legislation and actions being taken by elected officials are something teenagers will be having to deal with for far longer than many of us.

The problem with this argument, obviously, is where do you draw the line, then? I don't know if 18 is a good line, but I know 12 isn't. I also know 25 isn't, but since most male brains aren't fully developed until around that time, well, should we not take that into consideration?
It all sounds very nice, but when you do a little research on brain development, it'll make it clear why we still don't consider 16 and 17 year olds adults. In fact, 18 and 19 year olds really don't even know what they're doing.

I'll pass on giving mushy-brained kids voting rights.
(11-05-2015, 04:31 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: It all sounds very nice, but when you do a little research on brain development, it'll make it clear why we still don't consider 16 and 17 year olds adults. In fact, 18 and 19 year olds really don't even know what they're doing.

Not sure if the ban did something to us .... But we agree here.

Benton did you guys drug us? Haha
If we lower the age enough, Democrats can LITERALLY start buying votes with free candy.
(11-05-2015, 06:47 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: If we lower the age enough, Democrats can LITERALLY start buying votes with free candy.

Well, at least they'd be voting for their own candy, instead of more candy for the kids who already have plenty. 

Rock On
(11-05-2015, 06:53 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Well, at least they'd be voting for their own candy, instead of more candy for the kids who already have plenty. 

Sure.  We'll just install some candy machines at the Fed and tell them to start cranking out everlasting gobstoppers.
(11-05-2015, 07:10 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Sure.  We'll just install some candy machines at the Fed and tell them to start cranking out everlasting gobstoppers.

The analogies were going well until this.

[Image: 1412433801946.jpg]
(11-05-2015, 04:31 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: It all sounds very nice, but when you do a little research on brain development, it'll make it clear why we still don't consider 16 and 17 year olds adults. In fact, 18 and 19 year olds really don't even know what they're doing.

Let's push everything to 26, or award full benefits upon completion of 2 years of National Service.
ThumbsUp
Step by step process to answering "Should ______ be allowed to vote?"

1. ask yourself "If ______ is allowed to vote will that mean more votes for my side, or the other side?"
2a. If more for YOUR side, devise argument why ______ SHOULD be allowed to vote.
2b. If more for the OTHER side, devise argument why _____ SHOULD NOT be allowed to vote.
3. Insult the intelligence of voters of the other side just for good measure then explain why YOUR decision is grounded in freedom, or the founding fathers, or something like that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-06-2015, 03:04 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Step by step process to answering "Should ______ be allowed to vote?"

1.  ask yourself "If ______ is allowed to vote will that mean more votes for my side, or the other side?"
2a.  If more for YOUR side, devise argument why ______ SHOULD be allowed to vote.
2b.  If more for the OTHER side, devise argument why _____ SHOULD NOT be allowed to vote.
3.  Insult the intelligence of voters of the other side just for good measure then explain why YOUR decision is grounded in freedom, or the founding fathers, or something like that.

What if you just don't want any low information voters lol.
(11-06-2015, 02:43 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What if you just don't want any low information voters lol.

Then you ban Fox News viewers from voting.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2011/11/21/fox-news-viewers-uninformed-npr-listeners-not-poll-suggests/

Big Grin
(11-06-2015, 02:43 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What if you just don't want any low information voters lol.

How do you define "low-information" voters? 
(11-06-2015, 02:56 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: How do you define "low-information" voters? 

Not having an understanding of the issues.
(11-06-2015, 02:54 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Then you ban Fox News viewers from voting.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2011/11/21/fox-news-viewers-uninformed-npr-listeners-not-poll-suggests/

Big Grin

People who only watch network news often have a problem.
(11-06-2015, 03:04 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: People who only watch network news often have a problem.

Sure. But out of all of them, Fox viewers are the least informed. If you want less low information voters, ban Fox viewers.
(11-06-2015, 02:56 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: How do you define "low-information" voters? 

Ask them the difference between "your" and "you're".
(11-06-2015, 03:08 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Sure. But out of all of them, Fox viewers are the least informed. If you want less low information voters, ban Fox viewer
From what source do you get that Fox News viewers are the least informed? Besides your personal bias against Fox News and hatred of anything conservative?