Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
16th pick currently
Could end up as high as 12th it low as 18th. As y’all know been a huge trade back and IDL person, gather top 100 picks this year. That said if we ended up at 12? Would be VERY hard to pass up on Newton, bowers, or one of the top 3 tackles if they fell. Trade back would still be my choice but JUST BARELY over Newton. Would you prefer to stay where you are or trade back?
Reply/Quote
They don't pay Tee and will draft Keon Coleman, WR from FSU as his replacement.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 11:31 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: They don't pay Tee and will draft Keon Coleman, WR from FSU as his replacement.

I expect at minimum a tag.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:45 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Could end up as high as 12th it low as 18th. As y’all know been a huge trade back and IDL person, gather top 100 picks this year. That said if we ended up at 12? Would be VERY hard to pass up on Newton, bowers, or one of the top 3 tackles if they fell. Trade back would still be my choice but JUST BARELY over Newton. Would you prefer  to stay where you are or trade back?

Depends on who's available and what kind of a deal we can get.  

Guys I would be very hesitant to move off from would be Fashanu, Alt, Bowers, and Nabers.  I could be convinced to move off Latham if we would still be high enough to get Fuaga or a 2nd rounder high enough to secure a guy like Guyton, Pierce, or Suamataia.  Same with Odunze if we got a 2nd that could land us Thomas Jr. or Legette.  

A team you might look at would be the Giants if they're looking for an eventual replacement for Jones.  They're picking 5th and may whiff on one of the top three QB's.  They might package their two 2nds to move up for Nix or Penix.  
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 06:51 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I expect at minimum a tag.

I am hoping for a trade.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 11:31 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: They don't pay Tee and will draft Keon Coleman, WR from FSU as his replacement.

Currently projected for early second round. If he fell to us in the mid second, that would be perfect. 

Reply/Quote

too bad not that easy to match up with a pick in the draft.. but he would be a solid pick if it worked out
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 07:45 PM)Whatever Wrote: Depends on who's available and what kind of a deal we can get.  

Guys I would be very hesitant to move off from would be Fashanu, Alt, Bowers, and Nabers.  I could be convinced to move off Latham if we would still be high enough to get Fuaga or a 2nd rounder high enough to secure a guy like Guyton, Pierce, or Suamataia.  Same with Odunze if we got a 2nd that could land us Thomas Jr. or Legette.  

A team you might look at would be the Giants if they're looking for an eventual replacement for Jones.  They're picking 5th and may whiff on one of the top three QB's.  They might package their two 2nds to move up for Nix or Penix.  
I expect the top 3(fashanu, alt, Latham. To be gone. Bowers and nabers would be interesting for sure. Not a fan of fuaga. I don’t think wr is high in their list but who knows. I bet te is though and we’ll as dline.
(01-01-2024, 07:46 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I am hoping for a trade.
At best you’re getting a low 2nd round pick. Nah I think they trade him. And they need to.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 08:02 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Currently projected for early second round. If he fell to us in the mid second, that would be perfect. 

I've not seen any early second round mocks. I keep seeing him as a 1st round pick. Some mocks have him going to Denver or Cincinnati around picks 13 to 17.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:45 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Could end up as high as 12th it low as 18th. As y’all know been a huge trade back and IDL person, gather top 100 picks this year. That said if we ended up at 12? Would be VERY hard to pass up on Newton, bowers, or one of the top 3 tackles if they fell. Trade back would still be my choice but JUST BARELY over Newton. Would you prefer  to stay where you are or trade back?

I know some people hate the "need" strategy, but this is the Super Bowl window.
Bengals should be looking for someone who can be impactful ASAP as a rookie, so the easiest is to bring in someone who can take a starter spot.
What happens in FA with Higgins, Boyd, Reader, and Williams will (or should) have a heavy impact on who should be drafted in Rd 1.

If Reader is retained, I don't want a 1st rounder spent on NT, even if considered BPA by some.
If Williams is retained, I don't want a 1st rounder spent on OT, even if considered BPA by some.
Same with Higgins.

If by some shock all of Reader, Williams, and Higgins are retained on multi-year deals such that they are penciled in as the starters at their positions for 2+ years more, I'd love to try to get an elite interior pass rusher or Bowers.
I don't see a RB worth taking in this range in Rd 1.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2024, 05:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I know some people hate the "need" strategy, but this is the Super Bowl window.
Bengals should be looking for someone who can be impactful ASAP as a rookie, so the easiest is to bring in someone who can take a starter spot.
What happens in FA with Higgins, Boyd, Reader, and Williams will (or should) have a heavy impact on who should be drafted in Rd 1.

If Reader is retained, I don't want a 1st rounder spent on NT, even if considered BPA by some.
If Williams is retained, I don't want a 1st rounder spent on OT, even if considered BPA by some.
Same with Higgins.

If by some shock all of Reader, Williams, and Higgins are retained on multi-year deals such that they are penciled in as the starters at their positions for 2+ years more, I'd love to try to get an elite interior pass rusher or Bowers.

Bengals are in a weird situation with a few key starters hitting free agency and no plan. Tee Higgins' franchise tag is the only easy button they have going forward. DJ Readers first couple months for 2024 are in question which really narrows the DT free agent market. Jonah Williams and the Front office did have issues last off-season so that could effect his willingness to return.

The Bengals FO and Coaching staff have done a terrible job identifying and developing their OL/DL. Good news is looks like a good year to draft trenches bad news if they don't get it right it could be ugly for 2024 and beyond. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2024, 05:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I know some people hate the "need" strategy, but this is the Super Bowl window.

Same with Higgins.

Whether Reader is retained or not, he won't be ready to take the field until later in the season, anyways.  Quad tears are nasty and take a long time to recover from.  However, there's no NT currently rated in the 1st, so it's kind of a moot point.  

Higgins is trickier.  If he's retained, it's likely on a one year FT.  Factor in durability concerns and reduced productivity this year, drafting a replacement makes a lot of sense.  If Higgins is retained, Boyd likely won't be, so we need a starting WR at that point, anyways.

Retaining Jonah would be a big mistake, imo.  As has been discussed elsewhere, he simply doesn't have the tools to compete with elite pass rushers and gets destroyed every time we play the Steelers and Browns.  If he is resigned, it probably takes plus out of a 1st round T, but I really think it's time to move on.

Ironically, TE's and DT's have long learning curves and don't usually give you anywhere near what you would think they would as rookie 1st rounders.  Bowers is likely an exception if he makes it to us(unlikely).  Newton hasn't exactly had elite pass rush production in the Big-10 and I find it unlikely that he steps in with that steep learning curve and is an immediate 7+ sack pass rusher.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2024, 05:30 PM)Synric Wrote: Bengals are in a weird situation with a few key starters hitting free agency and no plan. Tee Higgins' franchise tag is the only easy button they have going forward. DJ Readers first couple months for 2024 are in question which really narrows the DT free agent market. Jonah Williams and the Front office did have issues last off-season so that could effect his willingness to return.

The Bengals FO and Coaching staff have done a terrible job identifying and developing their OL/DL. Good news is looks like a good year to draft trenches bad news if they don't get it right it could be ugly for 2024 and beyond. 

For sure.

This draft should be very telling whether they can properly identify (and develop if needed) OL and DL, as it looks like a strong year for both (at least in the early rounds).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Bengals got to figure out a way to get more picks.... Higgins is one of those ways.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2024, 06:41 PM)Whatever Wrote: Whether Reader is retained or not, he won't be ready to take the field until later in the season, anyways.  Quad tears are nasty and take a long time to recover from.  However, there's no NT currently rated in the 1st, so it's kind of a moot point.  

Higgins is trickier.  If he's retained, it's likely on a one year FT.  Factor in durability concerns and reduced productivity this year, drafting a replacement makes a lot of sense.  If Higgins is retained, Boyd likely won't be, so we need a starting WR at that point, anyways.

Retaining Jonah would be a big mistake, imo.  As has been discussed elsewhere, he simply doesn't have the tools to compete with elite pass rushers and gets destroyed every time we play the Steelers and Browns.  If he is resigned, it probably takes plus out of a 1st round T, but I really think it's time to move on.

Ironically, TE's and DT's have long learning curves and don't usually give you anywhere near what you would think they would as rookie 1st rounders.  Bowers is likely an exception if he makes it to us(unlikely).  Newton hasn't exactly had elite pass rush production in the Big-10 and I find it unlikely that he steps in with that steep learning curve and is an immediate 7+ sack pass rusher.

Fair on no true NT being a Rd 1 prospect.
Most NTs weren't 1st round picks anyway, as they aren't great pass rushers.
Reader himself was a 5th rounder.

I lean toward offense or a pass rushing DT in Rd 1, addressing NT sometime after (ideally Day 2 if there's a solid enough prospect in Rd 2-3 available).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I personally would like for Bengals to get RT in FA as opposed to draft. Hope they franchise Tee at worst. I would try to resign Boyd and trade up to acquire Bowers from GA maybe go DL in the 2nd I feel we can upgrade S as well. I'm happy with Corners when CTB is healthy
Reply/Quote
Some of you blow my mind.

We have Burrow, who could be the best quarterback in the league with Chase to throw to if we'd just give him time.

He took us to the Super Bowl and AFCC game with no line and we were one block away from winning the Super Bowl.

How you can even think of drafting anything other than one of the big tackles in the first round absolutely blows my mind.

Mims or Latham seem likely.

I get that we have other holes and needs, but protecting Burrow should be the top priority.

Burrow tore apart the league with no line, so give him protection and let the rest of the league try to keep up with us.
Reply/Quote

Same with Higgins.

Weather reader is restrained or not is irregardless. In a ideal world you want 4 dts getting 620ish snaps.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2024, 06:41 PM)Whatever Wrote: Whether Reader is retained or not, he won't be ready to take the field until later in the season, anyways.  Quad tears are nasty and take a long time to recover from.  However, there's no NT currently rated in the 1st, so it's kind of a moot point.  

Good assessment feel like we’re in a difficult spot this offseason. We’re a finesse offense thats in jeopardy of having no weapons outside of Chase. I’d tag Higgins and let Iosivas, Jones or Irwin fight for the 3 spot. Far as Bowers goes feel like TE isn’t going to move the needle that much if we can’t win in the trenches. Laporta gets mentioned in Detroit but the biggest reason they win is because they run the ball and dominate on the O-line and use play action pass. Not paying Williams big money he’s probably gonna try to get LT money 1st and some team will overpay for him in FA. Biggest issue is we’ve invested a ton on the O-line and can’t run the ball. In theory Brown, Cappa and Volston are big and should be able to move ppl in the run game we need to reevaluate are system and Pollack. Far as the D goes I’m not investing in the secondary the young guys took there hits this year just need some experience. Most concerning thing is the front 7 was awful with Reader and this is the veteran group. Reader is coming of his 2nd quad surgery plus he’s turning 30. Gotta assume there’s a possibility of this quad not responding and a drop in play. Feel like Reader would only be back on a small 1 year deal if anything. Far as the draft I’d prefer a physical RT or a DT that can rush and play the run in rd 1.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2024, 08:38 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Weather reader is restrained or not is irregardless. In a ideal world you want 4 dts getting 620ish snaps.

I'm not drafting a DT in the 1st round who is going to just be a rotational player after their first year.
Whoever I am targeting in 1st round I will expect to be a starter in Year 2 if not sometime in their rookie year.

So yes, for me, Reader being retained for multiple years does matter if I am taking a NT in Rd 1.
Regardless, BJ Hill is entering his contract year, so I am ok taking a pass rushing DT in Rd 1 anyway with the intent that player will get the majority of 3T reps after Hill departs in 2025.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote