Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
17th game officially being added to the schedule
(03-22-2021, 10:58 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I'm not a fan of divisional games 1 per season is enough, i want us to play different teams more!

kinda would defeat the purpose and structure of the divisions then
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 11:07 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: kinda would defeat the purpose and structure of the divisions then

Yeah, I love Division rivalry games. I just think it's time to redo the divisions.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 12:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, I love Division rivalry games. I just think it's time to redo the divisions.

Eh, I just want to just start beating the Steelers and Ravens again. Not to mention the Browns.

We just have the toughest Division in football. Prepares us for the big games if we get there IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 11:07 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: kinda would defeat the purpose and structure of the divisions then

well, for the brackets it'll still work. What I truly dislike is when it comes down  to the last or penultimate game of the season, we play a divisional team to qualify for the playoffs, win and then end up playing them again right away in the playoffs. Too soon, too redundant. It is what it is I guess.
just my 2 coins.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 09:29 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Wow

Any cap changes as a result?

I thought it would be 2022.

The cap for 2021 is set already. There is an expected (big) jump in 2022 and beyond to accommodate.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I didn't see anyone mention that the preseason games will be cut to 3 or 2.

I do think that 4 is too many but 3 might not be enough because of players trying to prove their worth for the team.

That does also make a difference in benefiting the players and doesn't seem like it's being given enough attention.

That was a huge arguing point for the players and, now that they got it, no one on this board is mentioning it?
Reply/Quote
They used to have 6 preseason games.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 10:30 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: that probly wont be good for smaller teams like us.

Don't know why it wouldn't the revenue sharing applies to all NFL teams.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 12:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, I love Division rivalry games. I just think it's time to redo the divisions.

Like to see the divisions make sense.

East - Buffalo, New England, Jets, Baltimore 

North - Cleveland, Cincinnati, Indianapolis,  Pittsburgh

South - Miami, Jacksonville,  Houston, Tennessee 

West - Denver, Los Angeles,  Vegas and KC.

If they are willing to flip AFC and NFC teams you could really get creative.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
16 games was perfect. No reason to change it other than greed.

It certainly doesn't help with player safety or quality of the product late in the season.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 09:37 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With the new media contracts announced, some are predicting the salary cap to almost double for 2022.

Presumably that's what the Patriots were thinking/banking on when they signed a lot of those contracts. Agholor/Henry/Jonnu combined for a $43.75m cap hit in 2022. That might end up only being the equivalent of ~$25m right now as far as % of cap space goes if the cap rises that much.

That said, if the cap does rise that much, there's going to be a LOT of players unhappy with their contracts when they start seeing guys with half their talent start getting contracts bigger than theirs.

If Burrow becomes what we hope/expect him to become over the 2021-2022 seasons, he's going to end up getting like $70m+/yr if the salary cap almost doubles in 2022.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 05:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I didn't see anyone mention that the preseason games will be cut to 3 or 2.

I do think that 4 is too many but 3 might not be enough because of players trying to prove their worth for the team.  

That does also make a difference in benefiting the players and doesn't seem like it's being given enough attention.

That was a huge arguing point for the players and, now that they got it, no one on this board is mentioning it?

I think 3 is a good number. 1st game is basically a scrimmage type game to get your stuff together, the 2nd game takes the place of the 3rd game and the starters play the 1st half, then the 3rd game is now the 4th game where those players on the bubble get their chance to stick. One less game for people to get hurt in.
Reply/Quote
Dammit! Now they'll be forced to work an extra hour this year! I bet they'll be way underpaid for that hour too..  Hilarious
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 10:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think 3 is a good number. 1st game is basically a scrimmage type game to get your stuff together, the 2nd game takes the place of the 3rd game and the starters play the 1st half, then the 3rd game is now the 4th game where those players on the bubble get their chance to stick. One less game for people to get hurt in.

Good point.  I'm liking three.  Don't know if the players union will like it because they're all the big wigs and probably won't be thinking much about the bubble guys that need that third game to earn their spot.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 01:11 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 16 games was perfect. No reason to change it other than greed.

It certainly doesn't help with player safety or quality of the product late in the season.

This^^^^  schedule rotation worked  and went well with # of teams and divisions.
Reply/Quote
First of all I don't see how any NFL fan can complain about getting another game to watch. But here is how i think the NFL should have handled adding the extra game. Instead of moving a team to Las Vegas they could have played a 16 game schedule there with every team playing a neutral field game. That way no team gets to play 9 home games while others just get 8.

Las Vegas is a very cheap and popular vacation destination. I am sure there would have been a loty of fans willing to travel to that game once a year.

They could also have a big halftime show for the Vegas games that would attract tourists that are in town for other reasons and just might wnat to take in an NFL game with a Vegas show at halftime.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 07:08 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Like to see the divisions make sense.

East - Buffalo, New England, Jets, Baltimore 

North - Cleveland, Cincinnati, Indianapolis,  Pittsburgh

South - Miami, Jacksonville,  Houston, Tennessee 

West - Denver, Los Angeles,  Vegas and KC.

If they are willing to flip AFC and NFC teams you could really get creative.

This makes sense that is for sure. The only Division that got it right is the West lol
Reply/Quote
I am going to admit, I am too lazy to look it up, but with the extra game are the rosters going to be expanded too?
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 03:17 PM)No-huddle Joe Wrote: I am going to admit, I am too lazy to look it up, but with the extra game are the rosters going to be expanded too?

Should be, extra game, more chances players get hurt.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 10:19 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I’m confused. If the 17th game is inter conference, why would we play an NFC team like 49ers?

Here's how it breaks down.

Go back 2 years from the new, upcoming season (2021). In this case, that would be 2019. Find out what NFC division the Bengals played. In this case it's the NFC West. Now, go back to the most recent completed season. In this case it would be 2020. Find out which team in the NFC West finished in the same spot the Bengals finished in. In this case, with the Bengals finishing in last place, they would play the 49ers since they finished in last place in the NFC West last year. 

Also, re: home/away. In 2021 the AFC hosts all the games. 2022, NFC hosts all games, etc, etc. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote