Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1990 World Series
This game is starting to remind me of the 1990 A's-Reds World Series. We were never given much of a chance in that game. The A's had the Bash Brothers, Rickey Henderson, Dave Stewart and Dennis Eckersley and the Reds were really just lucky to be there. I was starting to believe the National media as well. Then we kicked their ass!
They can put Ramsey on Jamarr which will leave their 5'9" CB to cover our 6'4" Tee Higgins I think Joe Burrow will take that match up. They can also rush their 4 man front and LB Von Miller and we will see if Burrow can feast on their LB's in coverage of Boyd/Uzomah or a possible screen to Mixon/Perine. This will be the first time seeing Burrow have 2 weeks time to prepare for an opponent. I like our chances with number 9 better known as Jackpot Joey!
Who Dey!
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 12:45 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: This game is starting to remind me of the 1990 A's-Reds World Series. We were never given much of a chance in that game. The A's had the Bash Brothers, Rickey Henderson, Dave Stewart and Dennis Eckersley and the Reds were really just lucky to be there. I was starting to believe the National media as well. Then we kicked their ass!
They can put Ramsey on Jamarr which will leave their 5'9" CB to cover our 6'4" Tee Higgins I think Joe Burrow will take that match up. They can also rush their 4 man front and LB Von Miller and we will see if Burrow can feast on their LB's in coverage of Boyd/Uzomah or a possible screen to Mixon/Perine. This will be the first time seeing Burrow have 2 weeks time to prepare for an opponent. I like our chances with number 9 better known as Jackpot Joey!
Who Dey!

I vividly remember the cameras panning through the As dugout in game 3 or 4 and just showing all the dejected looks on everyone’s face….especially mark McGwire. Will be we forget that
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
We got the rings. We got the money. We got everything
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 12:59 AM)basballguy Wrote: I vividly remember the cameras panning through the As dugout in game 3 or 4 and just showing all the dejected looks on everyone’s face….especially mark McGwire.  Will be we forget that

I will never forget Eric Davis hitting that first inning homer nd shocking Dave Stewart and the A's. Hopefully Joe B can hit Chase over the top for a quick TD to shock the Rams early as well.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 01:04 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I will never forget Eric Davis hitting that first inning homer nd shocking Dave Stewart and the A's. Hopefully Joe B can hit Chase over the top for a quick TD to shock the Rams early as well.

My favorite all time moment in sports

Well, until legs Benedict kicked us into the Super Bowl.
Ninja
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
The Reds were much, much bigger underdogs than the Bengals are. Most felt the A's were probably gonna sweep that series. As it turned out, the Reds were CLEARLY the better team. Sometimes the favorite is really not the better team after all.
Reply/Quote
We have a coach Lou as well even though they call em managers in baseball...No clue why that is..
I always wondered how the A's were such heavy favorites considering the Reds had been in first place all year... I guess popularity really doesn't determine the outcome of most games..unless it's of course rigged..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 12:45 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: This game is starting to remind me of the 1990 A's-Reds World Series. We were never given much of a chance in that game. The A's had the Bash Brothers, Rickey Henderson, Dave Stewart and Dennis Eckersley and the Reds were really just lucky to be there. I was starting to believe the National media as well. Then we kicked their ass!
They can put Ramsey on Jamarr which will leave their 5'9" CB to cover our 6'4" Tee Higgins I think Joe Burrow will take that match up. They can also rush their 4 man front and LB Von Miller and we will see if Burrow can feast on their LB's in coverage of Boyd/Uzomah or a possible screen to Mixon/Perine. This will be the first time seeing Burrow have 2 weeks time to prepare for an opponent.  I like our chances with number 9 better known as Jackpot Joey!
Who Dey!

I referenced the 1990 WS team in another thread a few minutes ago, but more in terms of how this win would cement a huge legacy for the Bengals.  The Reds have a massive fan base in the tri-state from the Big Red Machine, but also from the 1990 team.

Great parallels, as you mentioned, between both clubs as huge underdogs.  

What would be the equivalent of a four game sweep on Sunday?  41-14?  Who Dey  
Reply/Quote
Remember that 1990 was before cell phones an internet.

I had a camping trip planned that weekend with some friends for "Bridge Day" in West Virginia. Reds won the firat two game at home and were up 2-0 when I left on Friday. I hated to miss the games on Friday and Saturday, but they were playing in Oakland and I didn't think there was any way we would win 2 straight there and sweep them. First thing I did when we came out of the woods was buy a paper and read the sports section. Not only had the Reds won the series but my UT Vols who were ranked #3 in the country had been upset by an unranked Alabama team with a losing record (2-3).

Hard to imagine how it was without cell phones and internet.
Reply/Quote