• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1997- Boomer Returns
Sunday, April 6, 1997 

Boomer feels at home
Brown won over Esiason with sincerity
BY JOHN FAY
The Cincinnati Enquirer
[Image: esiason_200x130.jpg]

Bengals fans remember Boomer Esiason as the most confident guy on the team, the swashbuckling blond bomber. The team that went to the Super Bowl was his team.

But pro football has been tough at times to Esaison since he left Cincinnati in 1993. Last year in Phoenix, it was downright cruel.

So when looking for a new employer, he needed to hear certain things before he signed.

Bengals General Manager Mike Brown said them all in a half-hour meeting Friday.

''I left the meeting saying, 'This guy really likes me,''' Esiason said.

That more than anything led to Esiason's decision to sign a two-year deal Saturday worth $1.5 million to be Jeff Blake's backup. Esiason, who played here from 1984 to 1992, returns for his 14th season in the NFL.

Esiason fairly owned the town when he was here. He had - and has - the full package: Charisma, good looks, ability. He's a down-to-earth superstar. And he's a winner. The Bengals have not had a winning season since he was traded to the New York Jets.

But it took the talk with Brown to make him sure he wanted to return.

''Mike was just extremely respectful and honest,'' Esiason said. ''I always had a good relationship with Mike when I was here. After what happened last year in Arizona, I needed a dose of reality and respect. That's hard to come by in this league.''

Brown downplayed the chat.

''Boomer is saying nice things when he doesn't have to,'' Brown said. ''He knows us. We know him. We understand one another without saying much at all. We can just look at each other and understand.''

Brown making Esiason feeling wanted cinched the decision that was stacked in Cincinnati's favor anyway. The other factors:

Proximity to the Gunnar Esiason Cystic Fibrosis and Lung Center at Children's Hospital. Gunnar, Boomer's son, turns 6 today. He suffers from CF. Esiason spends more time raising money to fight the disease than he does on football.
Esiason's friendship with Bengals head coach Bruce Coslet.
Esiason still owns a home and a business here.
''Things happen for a reason,'' he said. ''We've been trying to sell our house here for a long time. But it didn't sell, so now we have a place to live.''
Esiason, who turns 36 on April 17, knows he returns to a different situation.

''When I was here, it was my team,'' he said. ''It's no longer my team. It's Jeff Blake's team. Jeff and I have gone through a role reversal. He supported me while I was playing, and I'll support him while he's playing.''

Blake was the No. 3 quarterback for the New York Jets while Esiason was the starter.

Coslet is sure to hear calls to play Esiason the first time Blake throws an interception. But he said Saturday, that barring injury, Blake is his man - no matter how much he struggles.

''Two or three years ago, I would have (pulled him),'' Coslet said. ''But guys on this team - Blake, Carl Pickens - deserve a chance to play through things. I've never been a quick hook. I learned that in high school basketball. You pull a guy for missing a free throw, and he never makes another one.

''Boomer gives us insurance.''

An expensive insurance policy, but one that Brown felt more of a necessity than in the past.

''We're at the point with this team where we should be in the playoffs,'' Brown said. ''We can't afford to lose one game because Jeff's out.''

Blake has been an extremely durable quarterback. His backup, Erik Wilhelm, has thrown 19 passes in the last four seasons.

''We've been rolling the dice with Jeff for a long time,'' Coslet said. ''The last couple of years, he's started more games than anyone in the AFC.''

Esiason was released by Phoenix on March 17 at his request.

''By that time, the other 29 teams had their starting quarterback,'' Esiason said.

''Arizona was probably my best shot to start. But I couldn't go back there. Unfortunately there are organizations where the bottom line is everything. I had people in the organization come up to me on the field during the last game and apologize to me.''

After the Cardinals released him, he didn't actively look for a club, and the only teams that called were Green Bay and the Bengals.

The Packers were offering less money, and Green Bay had never been home.

The most intriguing alternative was broadcasting. Esiason has worked for the USA Network in the offseason, and worked for ABC during last season's playoffs. He could earn considerably more in the booth.

''But the timing wasn't right,'' he said. ''The NFL contracts (with the networks) are up this year. I didn't want to sign with someone who might not have football next year.

''And I still have the desire to play. I love that feeling you get on Sundays. I'm not ready to give that up.''

http://bengals.enquirer.com/040697_beng.html
Reply/Quote