Poll: What round/position combination do you prefer?
Penei Sewell + Terrace Marshall Jr
Ja'Marr Chase + Alex Leatherwood
Penei/Ja'Marr + Jaelan Phillips
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st+2nd round combination options
We are nearing the end of the 2nd week of free agency and the Bengals have, in my opinion, overperformed. They have found a new RT, they have sealed up all the problems at CB for at least the next two years (we have our 2 starters and our slot locked up through 2022, with Phillips and Apple are really solid back ups for 2021), They have signed the back up safety to replace Williams and have two decent guards on the roster, granted we could still use the upgrades there.

Right now, the way I see it, the Bengals still have three glaring needs on this roster.

1. OG/OT
While you like Reiff at RT for 2021, he isn't the long term solution and while XSF and Spain aren't disasters at OG, you'd rather they compete for one job rather than have both jobs locked up. For this reason, I see a guard/tackle prospect as our top need. A player that could start at guard and move out to tackle in a year or two, similar to what Whitworth was. There are multiple options for this player in rounds 1 and 2 and maybe 3, although I imagine the best of them will be gone, even with how deep this class is.

2. Offensive Weapon
I won't split hairs between WR and TE, especially when the TE in question may be Kyle Pitts who is every bit as dynamic as a top WR. We have Higgins and Boyd. I love both of these players but Boyd is more of a slot and check down/relief valve option and Higgins is a great jump ball receiver, he isn't quite fast enough to consistently take the top off the offense. An upgrade here would go a long way to helping Burrow not have to hold onto the ball so long.

3. Pass rusher
Again, I wouldn't really split hairs between DE and DT. If there's a DT that can push the pocket, they would help the pass rush just as much as an edge rusher is. The key thing is we need to pressure the QB.

So I've been running some simulations on PFF and PFN and have gotten a variety of combinations and I am curious what you all think.

Option 1:
Round 1: Jamarr Chase WR LSU/Devonta Smith WR Alabama
Round 2: Alex Leatherwood OT Alabama

Option 2:
Round 1: Penei Sewell OT Oregon
Round 2: Terrace Marshall Jr. WR LSU

Option 3:
Round 1: Penei Sewell or Jamarr Chase
Round 2: Jaelan Phillips DE Miami FL

One thing that I noticed immediately when I was playing with these simulators was that, when I went Sewell/Slater in the first, I was often underwhelmed with my WR options in round 2. Marshall is good, but I don't know if he offers all that much more than Higgins does. Chase, Smith, Pitts, Waddle, Bateman, Moore, Toney and even Freiermuth routinely went off the board before our 2nd round selection. So the only other real options were Dyami Brown who, to be fair, has gotten signal boosted by Chris Sims recently when he ranked him as the 3rd best WR in the class, and Tylan Wallace.

On the other hand, if I go Chase or Smith in the first, I had Alex Leatherwood, Walker Little, Liam Eichenberg, Jalen Mayfield, Wyatt Davis (not ideal because he's a guard only and I said I would like to have a guy who could move out to T), Creed Humphrey and Landon Dickenson available, all of whom could probably start at guard on day 1 and solve a huge issue with this offense, whereas the WRs available in the second round don't necessarily address our biggest issue in the receiving corp that is deep ball separation.

And then, obviously, if you got OT in the first and you don't get the WR you want in round 2, you could always go edge with Jaelen Phillips, Ronnie Perkins or Carlos Basham Jr, all of whom have a decent chance of being available there.

So what do you all think? If you want to go Sewell, what do you want to do in the 2nd? Who's your ideal WR to pair with Sewell? And, if you don't think there will be one there, are you good with going DE in the 2nd instead and maybe addressing WR some other way?

I personally am liking the Weapon/OT choice more and more as the draft gets closer (I personally really like Pitts, but Chase and Smith are very appealing, especially since I secretly don't think we're going to go Pitts in the first no matter what haha).
Reply/Quote
Kyle Pitts > Jalen Mayfield > Dynami Brown > D'Ante Smith

One of my more ideal scenarios.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I went Sewell+Marshall in this case, but Chase+Leatherwood was a good option too for me.
I think the Bengals can be fine with a WR like Marshall given they already have Higgins and Boyd, and Sewell is arguably the best OL prospect in the draft.
With the Chase+Leatherwood option, Chase should be a very good WR, and Leatherwood should, at worst, be a very good RG.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 05:04 PM)Synric Wrote: Kyle Pitts > Jalen Mayfield > Dynami Brown > D'Ante Smith

One of my more ideal scenarios.

You don't think D'Ante Smith will be available later such that he needs to be taken in Rd 4?
I feel like with the OT depth in this draft class, he'll be available in Rd 5, 6, or even 7, no?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
4. Sewell + Leatherwood (or Hill or Dickerson)

(+ Humphrey in the 3rd)

Protect Burrow!

- - - - - - -

To answer the thread from the 3 choices, though... 1, I guess? Gotta get Sewell if he's there, but I am not super high on Marshall Jr. I think I would rather have Freirmuth over Marshall Jr if 2nd round pass catcher has to be.

After the two defense-heavy FAs in a row, they need to spend their top picks on offense, so no Phillips.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 06:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You don't think D'Ante Smith will be available later such that he needs to be taken in Rd 4?
I feel like with the OT depth in this draft class, he'll be available in Rd 5, 6, or even 7, no?

He reminds me of Matt Peart from 2020 (draft status wise more of an Ezra Cleveland as a prospect). Peart had a strong Senior Bowl showing like Smith and pull himself from a late day 3 to a late day 2. 

I can easily see D'Ante Smith go late 3rd to early 4th.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 07:23 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 4. Sewell + Leatherwood (or Hill or Dickerson)

(+ Humphrey in the 3rd)

Protect Burrow!

- - - - - - -

To answer the thread from the 3 choices, though... 1, I guess? Gotta get Sewell if he's there, but I am not super high on Marshall Jr. I think I would rather have Freirmuth over Marshall Jr if 2nd round pass catcher has to be.

After the two defense-heavy FAs in a row, they need to spend their top picks on offense, so no Phillips.

Honest question - If the Bengals have a losing record again but Burrow stays healthy all year, is that a successful season?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Pitts + Leatherwood
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 07:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Honest question - If the Bengals have a losing record again but Burrow stays healthy all year, is that a successful season?

Are we talking an 8-9 season or a 4-13 season?  If its closer to the 8-9 and Burrow stays healthy then I would call that successful.  Another top 5 draft pick season and no, I would not call it successful.  We know this most likely will not be a 1 season turn around so fortifying the Oline and picking up 4 more wins because the future of the franchise was healthy all season would be a solid sign of being closer to having this turned around.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 08:10 PM)Burma Wrote: Are we talking an 8-9 season or a 4-13 season?  If its closer to the 8-9 and Burrow stays healthy then I would call that successful.  Another top 5 draft pick season and no, I would not call it successful.  We know this most likely will not be a 1 season turn around so fortifying the Oline and picking up 4 more wins because the future of the franchise was healthy all season would be a solid sign of being closer to having this turned around.

Crap I forgot about the extra game. I was thinking 6-7 wins.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Option 3. That defense needs another pass rusher opposite Hendrickson and Phillips is a smart pass rusher who already adjusts to what the tackle does to stop him
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 07:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Honest question - If the Bengals have a losing record again but Burrow stays healthy all year, is that a successful season?

Yes, so long as Taylor gets fired. It means that the next coaching staff in 2022 who is hopefully significantly more competent than Taylor/Anarumo will have a fully healthy Burrow.

I don't expect anything from a Taylor team. 6-25-1 after two years doesn't give me any indication that they'll suddenly go 9-8 or better this year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

No way. I don't see how they can miss on this draft, at least in the first 3-4 rounds. With what they've picked up in FA the last 2 yrs and what they will have from the last 2 drafts...there's no way they should have a losing record. 

Of course, health will alway be the key issue and they rarely have any luck there. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 09:04 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Option 3. That defense needs another pass rusher opposite Hendrickson and Phillips is a smart pass rusher who already adjusts to what the tackle does to stop him

Ah, a fellow Brett Kollmann fan, I see :)
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 11:25 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Ah, a fellow Brett Kollmann fan, I see :)

His channel is awesome. Amazing analysis. Made me a Phillips believer
Reply/Quote
I agree with the OP, the drop off at the skill positions after the 1st seems to be greater than on the OL.

I’d be pretty happy with a Chase/Pitts & Leatherwood/Eichenberg 1st/2nd. But then again I’d also love to go Sewell and one of the better Edge guys like Basham in the 2nd, and then take a WR like Schwartz a little later.

The one thing I’ve never wavered on is going offense in the 1st. I’ve gone back and forth between Sewell, Chase, Pitts, etc, but never truly considered going defense (even though I like Surtain a lot). We’ve gone heavy on defense two years in a row in FA, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go offense with their first couple picks again.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 10:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No way. I don't see how they can miss on this draft, at least in the first 3-4 rounds. With what they've picked up in FA the last 2 yrs and what they will have from the last 2 drafts...there's no way they should have a losing record. 

Of course, health will alway be the key issue and they rarely have any luck there. 

Hahahahahahaha, you don’t see how the Bengals could mess a draft up?   Who are you people!   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 08:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I agree with the OP, the drop off at the skill positions after the 1st seems to be greater than on the OL.

I’d be pretty happy with a Chase/Pitts & Leatherwood/Eichenberg 1st/2nd.  But then again I’d also love to go Sewell and one of the better Edge guys like Basham in the 2nd, and then take a WR like Schwartz a little later.

The one thing I’ve never wavered on is going offense in the 1st. I’ve gone back and forth between Sewell, Chase, Pitts, etc, but never truly considered going defense (even though I like Surtain a lot). We’ve gone heavy on defense two years in a row in FA, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go offense with their first couple picks again.

I always love drafts where I get him in the 2nd and why I wanted the line and WR fixed in free agency.  He is all around solid against the run as well and would be a fantastic addition with our free agents.   Given we NEED WR and OL this pick is probably out and it sucks. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 09:16 AM)yang Wrote: Hahahahahahaha, you don’t see how the Bengals could mess a draft up?   Who are you people!   Hilarious

Your mom. Now go clean your room. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 08:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I agree with the OP, the drop off at the skill positions after the 1st seems to be greater than on the OL.

I’d be pretty happy with a Chase/Pitts & Leatherwood/Eichenberg 1st/2nd.  But then again I’d also love to go Sewell and one of the better Edge guys like Basham in the 2nd, and then take a WR like Schwartz a little later.

Yea, defense in the first is a hard no for me, and it seems to be a hard no for the Bengals too, based on their free agency priorities. I go back and forth between Sewell and Chase as well. I used to be team Sewell all the way, but seeing how quickly the WR depth dries up in these mock drafts has shook me. Apparently, a lot of teams have WR as their #1 need, if the needs listed by these mock draft websites are accurate. Especially considering how dry the WR free agent market was this year, it makes me think a lot of teams are thinking "I'm getting my #1 WR in the first round this year and save some money there." 

And the idea of reuniting Chase and Burrow is one of those stories that is hard to ignore, especially since Chase provides Burrow with exactly what he was lacking last season, a deep threat target.

But then I watch video compilations of Burrow running for his life and I'm back to Sewell haha.

It's a really weird position to be in. I just hope we make the right decision.
Reply/Quote