AJ
Boyd
Mixon
Other
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Half MVP
I'm going with Andy......but I can't believe Joe Mixon doesn't have one single vote.  

The numbers are pretty good, but what I feel is being overlooked is how having a legitimate run threat back there opens up the playaction.  It's hard to get LBs and DBs  to bite on the play fake when you avg 2.9 YPC.  I would have voted for him myself, but 4 game winning drives is 4 game winning drives.  Andy has looked like he doesn't even realize it's under a minute in the 4th qtr. out there.  He's been absolutely clutch, and so has AJ and Boyd.

I LOVE what Boyd is bringing to the offense, he's definitely the breakout star.....although Mixon could have a bit of a claim to that as well.  AJ does AJ things.  If the offense was solely going through him, I'd probably be looking more at him for this award.  That said, it's not.  Even Franks got in on the action Sunday.  The QB is spreading the ball around, has great command of the offense, has really only been baited into an INT once, and that was at KC when he missed the guy underneath and got picked.  A lot of the INTs are tipped balls, a couple of bad placed throws.....but really not any boneheaded ones besides the one in KC.  

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Jordan Evans has shown some flashes so far this year.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Dalton got my vote. We have weapons everywhere at the skill positions and Dalton is keeping them involved.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 11:29 AM)Synric Wrote: Jordan Evans has shown some flashes so far this year.

Wouldn't quite say MVP, but he absolutely balled on Sunday; what a phenomenal game and he DEFINTIELY made a difference (wish I could see his coverage numbers).

As I (and Fred) mentioned, it was his coming-out party and I feel he should be out there with Vigil and Preston or 4th LB when Burfict is healthy; plays really fast.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I went with Boyd. Very good hands. But he's shown more than just that. He's a tough kid, taken many hits, and gotten back out there, still excelling.

He's a gamer. He's clutch. He leads the team in catches. He got my vote for the 1st half.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 03:15 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m going with Boyd though. We’ve seen this offense the last couple years when it’s all AJ, and it wasn’t pretty. Boyd is pretty much putting up the numbers of a #1 right now (on pace for 98 Rec 1240 Yds and 10 TD) and he seems to be becoming Andy’s go to when we absolutely must have a play.

I went with Andy largely due to the fact that he's been cool and collected when it's crunch time. Dude's been clutch all year it seems. But Boyd was a VERY close 2nd for me. Boyd has seemingly turned into T.J. 2.0 this year. When you absolutely, positively, NEED to have a catch on 3rd down, he's your guy. 

Who'da thought that the Tyler that makes the offense go would be named Boyd and not Eifert or Kroft? Damn we've got a lot of Tyler's on this team.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 11:43 AM)Goalpost Wrote: I went with Boyd. Very good hands. But he's shown more than just that. He's a tough kid, taken many hits, and gotten back out there, still excelling.

He's a gamer. He's clutch. He leads the team in catches. He got my vote for the 1st half.

I now see how he broke Larry Fitzgerald’s records at Pitt.

Reply/Quote
I think you could make a good case for any of those choices. I’m going with Mixon as I’ve seen what happens when we can’t run the ball effectively.
Reply/Quote
It's very hard not to look AJ's way. He's top 10 in the league in yards and TDs. Of the 26 WRs that have at least 40 catches only 2 have a better YPC than AJ.

Andy is having a fine season, but so are a lot of other QBs; this seems to be the year of the passer. 1/3 of the starting QBs in the NFL have a rating over 100. Yet Andy's poise at the end of games cannot be overlooked.

Joe is top 10 in all rushing stats: Yards, Average, TDs and has 0 fumbles

Tyler is nothing more than a good Robin to AJ's Batman
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 11:35 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Wouldn't quite say MVP, but he absolutely balled on Sunday; what a phenomenal game and he DEFINTIELY made a difference (wish I could see his coverage numbers).

As I (and Fred) mentioned, it was his coming-out party and I feel he should be out there with Vigil and Preston or 4th LB when Burfict is healthy; plays really fast.

Actually posted in the wrong thread. 

Evans is not only noticeably faster than every linebacker on the roster he looks twice their size too lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 12:15 PM)Synric Wrote: Actually posted in the wrong thread. 

Evans is not only noticeably faster than every linebacker on the roster he looks twice their size too lol.

LOL

He IS 6'3, 240ish, so yeah, I believe you're bang on there (only Burfict and Preston are heavier and he's the tallest)
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 08:17 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: On the Van Pelt thing, I said to my dad on Sunday that Andy has become the best QB in the league at hard count/getting guys to jump, after Rodgers.

Van Pelt the reason?

Andy has been doing that for several years now. I first noticed it during Hue's tenure. He's burned a few teams multiple times with it.

That said, he's also gotten a couple false starts out of Bobby Hart, although I think that was just a newbie thing.

(10-30-2018, 08:41 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Disagree with the landslide part. Are we 5-3 with Brandon LaFell as our #2 WR?

Well the fact that Andy is winning this vote in a landslide is pretty telling, considering how divided people are on him.

Not sure what you mean by bringing up LaFell. A lot has changed since LaFell was our #2. Not just Boyd, although he's obviously helped.

(10-30-2018, 09:39 AM)pally Wrote: We have guys who are having good seasons.  Tyler Boyd is having a break out one.  But, the MVP. Is easily Andy Dalton

Agreed. I mean no disrespect towards Green, Boyd or Mixon, but it seems pretty obvious. Base stats seem to be deceptive this year, seeing how highly PFF has him ranked. Guess a lot of QB's are compiling junk stats. Even the dreaded QBR (for those who care) has him ranked 14th, ahead of Watson, Stafford, Wilson and Rodgers.

(10-30-2018, 11:20 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'm going with Andy......but I can't believe Joe Mixon doesn't have one single vote.  

The numbers are pretty good, but what I feel is being overlooked is how having a legitimate run threat back there opens up the playaction.  It's hard to get LBs and DBs  to bite on the play fake when you avg 2.9 YPC.  I would have voted for him myself, but 4 game winning drives is 4 game winning drives.  Andy has looked like he doesn't even realize it's under a minute in the 4th qtr. out there.  He's been absolutely clutch, and so has AJ and Boyd.

I LOVE what Boyd is bringing to the offense, he's definitely the breakout star.....although Mixon could have a bit of a claim to that as well.  AJ does AJ things.  If the offense was solely going through him, I'd probably be looking more at him for this award.  That said, it's not.  Even Franks got in on the action Sunday.  The QB is spreading the ball around, has great command of the offense, has really only been baited into an INT once, and that was at KC when he missed the guy underneath and got picked.  A lot of the INTs are tipped balls, a couple of bad placed throws.....but really not any boneheaded ones besides the one in KC.  

On pace for over 1100 rush yards despite missing 2 games. Averaging a stellar 4.8 YPC and on pace for 12 total TDs. 

If he hadn't missed 2 games, he'd be up there with Andy for me. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 02:54 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Saw Shake mention he thought about making a first half MVP thread and figured why not. Despite the mood around the board the Bengals are 5-3, and are in a pretty good position going into the bye. Iirc with our current record we have over a 60% chance of making the playoffs. I’m only going offense, as I don’t really think anyone on the defense would get many votes (honorable mention to Bates though).  So who you got?

Andy Dalton 2102 Yds 17 TD 8 Int 92.9 PR

AJ Green 45 Rec 687 Yds 6 TD

Tyler Boyd 49 Rec 620 Yds 5 TD

Joe Mixon 509 Yds Rush 4.8 Avg 4 TD 115 Yds Rec 1 TD for a total of 624 Yds & 5 TD (in only 6 games)

Dalton all the way. He has been playing lights out, best of his career. Cannot wait till Price gets back and Gio.

Boyd has also really opened my eyes this year and looks like he could be a #1 WR even. Want us to extend this
guy before he gets too damn good. Looks like our next Housh with his clutch catches, crisp routes and sure hands.

Mixon is what i thought he would be and should only get better. AJ Green is AJ Green, great.

Yeah, on Defense, has to be Jessie Bates III. Great Safety play. For a rookie is even more impressive. Love Sam
Hubbard too, these are two great picks.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 11:35 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Wouldn't quite say MVP, but he absolutely balled on Sunday; what a phenomenal game and he DEFINTIELY made a difference (wish I could see his coverage numbers).

Didn't get to watch the game so this is great news that makes me feel much better. Thanks Truck. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 01:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dalton all the way. He has been playing lights out, best of his career. Cannot wait till Price gets back and Gio.

Boyd has also really opened my eyes this year and looks like he could be a #1 WR even. Want us to extend this
guy before he gets too damn good. Looks like our next Housh with his clutch catches, crisp routes and sure hands.

Mixon is what i thought he would be and should only get better. AJ Green is AJ Green, great.

Yeah, on Defense, has to be Jessie Bates III. Great Safety play. For a rookie is even more impressive. Love Sam
Hubbard too, these are two great picks.

We might be too late on that. He's on pace for the best season by a Bengals WR2 since Housh. Maybe the best WR2 in Bengals history. Not even exaggerating. Heck, at this point he looks more like a 1B to Green's 1A. He has more catches.

If I were Mike/Katie, I'd be banging down his door trying to get him extended ASAP.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 01:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We might be too late on that. He's on pace for the best season by a Bengals WR2 since Housh. Maybe the best WR2 in Bengals history. Not even exaggerating. Heck, at this point he looks more like a 1B to Green's 1A. He has more catches.

If I were Mike/Katie, I'd be banging down his door trying to get him extended ASAP.

Yeah, get on it Katie, future star in Boyd. Been looking for that WR to take attention away from AJ, it is Boyd.

Thought it would be Ross but i think i was wrong from the look of things right now.
Reply/Quote
Of the top 10 teams right now standings wise, I think most of those teams' quarterbacks would be the mvp. I think the Rams, Redskins, and Steelers might vote for their RB though, especially the Skins. And even though Goff is having a great year, Gurley is in his own tier of the rbs, so how can he not be their MVP.

So in that spirit probably have to go with Andy at this point, with honorable mention to AJ. Boyd has been really good too, almost right there with AJ.

After them three, Mixon is up there but he did miss two games which knocks him back a bit.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 10:43 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: ??

I happen to agree that Dalton is probably our MVP in the first half. But I find it unsettling that a guy who is really only a little better than average at his position (as proven by his stats this year in and year out) is our MVP. Our stars have decent stats, like Geno with 6 sacks and Dunlap with 7 and Boyd and Green. But geez there's a huge gap between Geno and Dunlap and the next guy. There a huge gap after you get past Boyd. Bates and Williams each have 3 INTs, but our corners have zero. It's just odd and I can't explain it.

Reply/Quote
I think you can make a case for all of them and not be wrong. Boyd has been Mr. Clutch, We see what a difference Mixon makes, AJ is AJ.

But I had to go with Dalton, He's just different this season and for the good, even more so than 15.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 09:27 AM)motoarch Wrote: These are all valid choices and I can see lots of discussion back and forth for each.  

I feel like andy and green are playing the way they are suppose to not necessarily at a higher than normal level.  Mixon is playing very respectfully but somehow hasn’t been at quite the level id hoped with the exception of maybe 2 games.  Some might disagree but I thought/hoped he was going to be unquestionably a super star across the league.  Maybe I expected too much.

That leaves Boyd and I think we all agree he’s been much better than anyone anticipated.  Grated without defenses respecting aj the way they do he might not have the opportunity to shine the way he has but damnit if he’s not taking full advantage of it right now.  Kid is awesome.

Having said all that andy gets my vote.  He gets the ball ever offensive play and has done well with the game on the line this year.  Aj, Mixon and Boyd have all been Integral to those drives but Andy’s still driving the bus.

Simple reasons for this--he missed time and he doesn't get the ball enough.  Lazor talks about running the ball a lot more than he actually does it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote