Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
1st QTR awards
We're 1/4 of the way through the season.  The Bengals are 3-1 which we all hoped but maybe not believed the record could be. They beat the Steelers in Pitt, had a come from behind win, and won with a long FG in OT.  With luck and confidence, we will see steady ongoing improvement over the next 4 games

MVP not named Joe Burrow- Trey Hendrickson: a game-changer on defense.

OPoQ- Joe Burrow: couldn't leave him out entirely

DPoQ-Logan Wilson:  2nd in NFL in INTs with 3, 6th in tackles with 40

Rookie- Ja'Marr Chase: 4TDs and return of the long ball in Cincinnati

Coach- Al Golden: I thought about Lou here but gave it to Golden because the LBs as a group are night and day different from last year with the same players  

Moment- that first long pass to Ja'Marr in the Minnesota game.  I think the entire fandom let out a collective breath of relief with the throw and more importantly the catch

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Come back.... uzomah

Breakout Player ... Logan wilson
Reply/Quote
MVP other than Burrow- Jamar Chase scares defenses. He has three catches over 40 yards and 4 TDs. The
OPOYOTJB- Joe Mixon- He has been huge running the ball.
Comeback- UZ- Thursday night was awesome!
Coach of year- Pollock- the offensive line has improved tremendously!
Unit of year- The defensive Line- everyone is doing thier job and then some!
DPOY- Logan Wilson- Dude just makes plays.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Me for turning the game off before halftime, but turning it back on after half time.. ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'll go with players at every basic "level" of play, for the hell of it.

Offensive MVP of the Quarter: Joe Burrow
Offensive skill position player otQ: Ja'Marr Chase
Offensive lineman otQ: Jonah Williams

Defensive MVPotQ: Logan Wilson
Defensive lineman otQ: Larry Ogunjobi (hardest choice)
Back seven player otQ: Vonn Bell (other than Wilson)
Defensive rookie otQ: Cam Sample

Special teamer otQ: Evan McPherson

Coach OtQ: Lou Anarumo
Reply/Quote
I'd like to add BJ Hill best trade.. I believe he has 3 sacks in 4 games. Already got more out of him in 4 games than We did Price's whole career here..

Oline Deserves props too. They have picked it up over the last 2 games. They have really improved..

Defensive MVP - Logan Wilson

Offensive MVP - Joe Burrow

Rookie MVP - Ja'Maar Chase

Coach - Sweet Lou
Reply/Quote
I think people often overlook Marion Hobby who is our defensive line coach this year. It’s a night and day difference in the trenches on D. I’ve seen some good designed pressures as well. He’s been a breath of fresh air and deserves this 1QTR coach award!
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 06:44 PM)J24 Wrote: MVP other than Burrow- Jamar Chase scares defenses. He has three catches over 40 yards and 4 TDs. The
OPOYOTJB- Joe Mixon- He has been huge running the ball.
Comeback- UZ- Thursday night was awesome!
Coach of year- Pollock- the offensive line has improved tremendously!
Unit of year- The defensive Line- everyone is doing thier job and then some!
DPOY- Logan Wilson- Dude just makes plays.

This.

I’ll also throw out my vote for most underrated player so far — Quinton Spain.

Reply/Quote
I'll challenge the Rookie of the Month pick and say it should be Evan. Two walk off game winners and a player of the week award...
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 09:48 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'll challenge the Rookie of the Month pick and say it should be Evan. Two walk off game winners and a player of the week award...

Challenge denied. It’s Chase. Tongue

Honorable mention to McPherson for sure though. But Chase has completely opened up this offense, and we’re absolutely not 3-1 without all his TD’s and big plays. Kid broke a record held by Randy Moss, but at an even younger age.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 05:10 PM)pally Wrote: Coach- Al Golden: I thought about Lou here but gave it to Golden because the LBs as a group are night and day different from last year with the same players  

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 05:10 PM)pally Wrote: ……. and won with a long FG in OT.  

33 yarder…..
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 09:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Challenge denied. It’s Chase. Tongue

Honorable mention to McPherson for sure though. But Chase has completely opened up this offense, and we’re absolutely not 3-1 without all his TD’s and big plays. Kid broke a record held by Randy Moss, but at an even younger age.

We're absolutely not 3-1 without McPherson's two game winning kicks...
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 10:06 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: We're absolutely not 3-1 without McPherson's two game winning kicks...

Those kicks mean nothing without Chase's touchdowns....
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 06:55 PM)Tony Wrote: I'd like to add BJ Hill best trade.. I believe he has 3 sacks in 4 games. Already got more out of him in 4 games than We did Price's whole career here..

Oline Deserves props too. They have picked it up over the last 2 games. They have really improved..

Defensive MVP - Logan Wilson

Offensive MVP - Joe Burrow

Rookie MVP - Ja'Maar Chase

Coach - Sweet Lou

Serious question, because I really don't know. Was Sweet Lou his nickname when he got here, or was that moniker hung on him by this board?

We have 2 position coaches on Defense who have done tremendous jobs, Hobby and Golden. But the man who runs the defense would have to get the nod from me. While those coaches coached the players to play within the system, Lou runs the system. The man took a lot of heat, got rid of the dead weight, brought in the guys he wanted, and is killing it.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 05:10 PM)pally Wrote: We're 1/4 of the way through the season.  The Bengals are 3-1 which we all hoped but maybe not believed the record could be. They beat the Steelers in Pitt, had a come from behind win, and won with a long FG in OT.  With luck and confidence, we will see steady ongoing improvement over the next 4 games

MVP not named Joe Burrow- Trey Hendrickson: a game-changer on defense.

OPoQ- Joe Burrow: couldn't leave him out entirely

DPoQ-Logan Wilson:  2nd in NFL in INTs with 3, 6th in tackles with 40

Rookie- Ja'Marr Chase: 4TDs and return of the long ball in Cincinnati

Coach- Al Golden: I thought about Lou here but gave it to Golden because the LBs as a group are night and day different from last year with the same players  

Moment- that first long pass to Ja'Marr in the Minnesota game.  I think the entire fandom let out a collective breath of relief with the throw and more importantly the catch

Good stuff.  The only thing I might change is OPoQ to Chase and Rookie being Legs Benedict Mcfearless Mcmoney the first.  

Defensive player absolutely has to be Wilson.  

Coach, I am giving it to Lou.  So many doubts, but the defense has been EXCELLENT with "his guys".  He played a lot of rookies last year and a few this year, and he is showing he can get it done.  Will be a huge test against Green Bay.

About that Green Bay game.....I will say it now:  With Awuzie and Higgins out there, they have a real shot, and if that real shot is executed and they pull out a win....Well, they are going to the playoffs, my friends.  
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 09:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This.

I’ll also throw out my vote for most underrated player so far — Quinton Spain.

My most underrated player so far (very limited sample size) is Chris Evans.  He needs to be a big part of our plans moving forward.  Mixon is a versatile back, but isn't a home run hitter.  Evans might be and deserves more of a shot.  

Watching that 30 min story about Burrow had a ton of LSU highlights and I kept seeing how CEH would gash teams for 50 yard runs when they were keying on the past.  SO QUICK to the edge.  

I am not saying you start him over Mixon, but he needs more snaps.  
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 10:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Did ANYONE see this coming last year?  We saw flashes of Wilson, but I thought ADG looked slow and Pratt looked lost most of the time.  

This is why you play them as rookies and develop them on the field.  The defense wouldn't be doing what it is doing without the speed they now have at LB going sideline to sideline.  

This is also why I hope (not for an injury) but that we see some of D'Ante Smith this season to see if can be a G or T of the future.  
Reply/Quote
Getting rid of Price was a break from the Bengals/Mike Brown's philosophy of: My employees, let 'em rot.

Lots of players could have been traded/released that were out of their prime but were kept, considerably handicapping our roster.

Atkins, Dunlap, Ross, Green, Eifert etc.

So the Price trade was a pleasant surprise from that pattern. Kudos to whoever vouched for it. (Pollack??)

McPherson is a favorite but too soon to be given the high podium.
Reply/Quote
OMVP: Burrow, of course (HM: Chase)
DMVP: Logan (HM: Hendrickson)
OMIP: Even though he doesn't really classify as this, Spain
DMIP: Akeem Davis-Gaither (HM: Tupou)
OROY: Chase (HM: Evan)
DROY: Cam Sample
Comeback: Burrow, of course.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote