Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
1st Step - Fire O-line Coach Paul Alexander just as they did Ken Zampese
(10-23-2017, 02:31 PM)depthchart Wrote: If Alexander stays he will likely keep standing behind certain players that he has hand picked.

I read an Article a while back that Alexander was tired of fans questioning him about Bodine when he was say at the Barbershop or some place.

His Plan for next season will likely just be a Tweak of this year's O-line as he claims to see "progress" from certain players we have now.

That's been a constant with Paul A for years. Now it's Russell Bodine, before you had Eric Ghiacuc, Nate Livings, Dennis Roland... I could have sworn he even had reservations about cutting Brad St. Louis back in 2009.

The man is as delusional as he is loyal. A terrible combination. One that permeates this entire pathetic f***ing franchise 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:48 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: That's been a constant with Paul A for years. Now it's Russell Bodine, before you had Eric Ghiacuc, Nate Livings, Dennis Roland... I could have sworn he even had reservations about cutting Brad St. Louis back in 2009.

The man is as delusional as he is loyal. A terrible combination. One that permeates this entire pathetic f***ing franchise 

The whole point in succeeding in life is about learning from your mistakes.

This guy just ignores them and keeps doing the same shit.

Need to clean house no doubt Pat.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:48 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: That's been a constant with Paul A for years. Now it's Russell Bodine, before you had Eric Ghiacuc, Nate Livings, Dennis Roland... I could have sworn he even had reservations about cutting Brad St. Louis back in 2009.

"Nasty" Nate Livings.....my goodness, what a ***** joke!!!!!  He also played Livings over Mathis, who he couldn't seem to motivate.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If Bodine is the center next year I am done with Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:59 PM)bengals67 Wrote: If Bodine is the center next year I am done with Bengals.

If Marvin is the head coach next year, there's no doubt I'm taking a break myself. 
Reply/Quote
While I agree that PA should've been shitcanned YEARS ago, the first step is to fire Marvin Lewis. Firing PA midseason is not going to fix this OL. Heck, neither is firing ML, but at least we might see some accountability from whomever the interim HC is.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 03:11 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: If Marvin is the head coach next year, there's no doubt I'm taking a break myself. 

If he, Bodine, or PA are here, I may not watch one game.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 03:15 PM)PhilHos Wrote: While I agree that PA should've been shitcanned YEARS ago, the first step is to fire Marvin Lewis. Firing PA midseason is not going to fix this OL. Heck, neither is firing ML, but at least we might see some accountability from whomever the interim HC is.

I disagree, firing PA midseason would be a great move, firing Marv midseason would be a bad one.

Boling said himself that PA does not coach up players midseason. What hurt could it do?

Let Marv ride the dying ship and move on. We can then hire a whole new coaching staff.

The last thing this team needs is to start once again from the inside.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 03:11 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: If Marvin is the head coach next year, there's no doubt I'm taking a break myself. 

:andy:
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 03:15 PM)PhilHos Wrote: While I agree that PA should've been shitcanned YEARS ago, the first step is to fire Marvin Lewis. Firing PA midseason is not going to fix this OL. Heck, neither is firing ML, but at least we might see some accountability from whomever the interim HC is.

I lean toward taking Alexander out 1st for a few reasons.

1. The O-line melt down against the Steelers was the most glaring issue and Alexander is the Architect of that O-line.

2. If Alexander should slide under the Radar say after a Marvin firing right now only to have the next Head Coach saddled with Paul Alexander going forward then that New Coach may be in for trouble.

3. The O-line players themselves need some fresh eyes on their play and an O-line Coach that will want some New Personnel going forward.
A New Fire would be lit under O-line players to save their jobs instead of being Alexander's projects.

4. Marvin has won 2 of the last 3 games without Zampese and I let him have some more Rope to hang himself with so to speak. Fire him later in the season or let him finish this season out. Then make the Bigger Head Coaching change this offseason.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yup, the infamous "witch hunt" comments.  Well Paul, four years in, and your boy is still around the bottom 1/6th of the league at C.
It is quite amazing that everyone on here knew that the O-Line was sub-par and needed upgraded in the off-season. Yet people getting paid to know this thought everything was going to be okay as-is.......How does this happen?! I should apply for O-Line coach position....It seems I know more than Alexander. I'll even do it for far less money!
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 03:53 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: It is quite amazing that everyone on here knew that the O-Line was sub-par and needed upgraded in the off-season. Yet people getting paid to know this thought everything was going to be okay as-is.......How does this happen?! I should apply for O-Line coach position....It seems I know more than Alexander. I'll even do it for far less money!

Do it.

Seriously, that is how inept this guy is at his job that he gets paid well for.

Sucks when you work your ass off for pennies while stooges like this get paid for just sitting around sucking at what they do.
Reply/Quote
His coaching is behind the times. His rep.is bad with coaches and player all over the league. I watched Westerman in pre season , no fouls, no false starts, did anyone else see this?
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 03:49 PM)depthchart Wrote: I lean toward taking Alexander out 1st for a few reasons.

1. The O-line melt down against the Steelers was the most glaring issue and Alexander is the Architect of that O-line.

2. If Alexander should slide under the Radar say after a Marvin firing right now only to have the next Head Coach saddled with Paul Alexander going forward then that New Coach may be in for trouble.

3. The O-line players themselves need some fresh eyes on their play and an O-line Coach that will want some New Personnel going forward.
A New Fire would be lit under O-line players to save their jobs instead of being Alexander's projects.

4. Marvin has won 2 of the last 3 games without Zampese and I let him have some more Rope to hang himself with so to speak. Fire him later in the season or let him finish this season out. Then make the Bigger Head Coaching change this offseason.

I’m on board with this for an additional reason: I don’t want to see Andy Dalton hurt and whenever he comes up limping it tears at me. I don’t want to see AJ McCarron hurt either — and I still can’t get that picture of Carson Palmer with the bloody face out of my mind.
Reply/Quote
Everyone is calling for Pawns like Marvin, Alexander, or Bodine to go; Thinking that will fix the problem. It won't. As long as the team continues to follow Mike Brown's directives, and fails to hand over GM duties to someone from outside the organization, nothing will improve.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 11:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Everyone is calling for Pawns like Marvin, Alexander, or Bodine to go;  Thinking that will fix the problem.  It won't.  As long as the team continues to follow Mike Brown's directives, and fails to hand over GM duties to someone from outside the organization, nothing will improve.

I agree with this.  Alexander may or may not be bad, but how good would his replacement need to be when your FO never resigns your best players.  There was Steinbach, Zietler, Whitworth, the Roland over Mathis fiasco, letting Andre Smith go the first time.  Probably some others I am forgetting too.  You combine that with the misses in the draft and I think it would be above any one coaches ability to get a good o-line developed here.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 12:01 AM)Von Cichlid Wrote: I agree with this.  Alexander may or may not be bad, but how good would his replacement need to be when your FO never resigns your best players.  There was Steinbach, Zietler, Whitworth, the Roland over Mathis fiasco, letting Andre Smith go the first time.  Probably some others I am forgetting too.  You combine that with the misses in the draft and I think it would be above any one coaches ability to get a good o-line developed here.

It was Livings over Mathis, but Roland was on the same teams.  But yes, you provide several examples where the team went cheap on interior OL, and it brought down the team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 12:01 AM)Von Cichlid Wrote: I agree with this.  Alexander may or may not be bad, but how good would his replacement need to be when your FO never resigns your best players.  There was Steinbach, Zietler, Whitworth, the Roland over Mathis fiasco, letting Andre Smith go the first time.  Probably some others I am forgetting too.  You combine that with the misses in the draft and I think it would be above any one coaches ability to get a good o-line developed here.

(10-24-2017, 12:11 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It was Livings over Mathis, but Roland was on the same teams.  But yes, you provide several examples where the team went cheap on interior OL, and it brought down the team.

You'll not get me to defend Mikey boys....but all of those calls were on Piano Man....he couldn't get Mathis going....he wanted Blodine, Og, and Fish.  He is the one that continually has a unit that ranks near the bottom in YPC.  I DO blame Son of Paul for not flushing this turd sooner.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 11:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Everyone is calling for Pawns like Marvin, Alexander, or Bodine to go;  Thinking that will fix the problem.  It won't.  As long as the team continues to follow Mike Brown's directives, and fails to hand over GM duties to someone from outside the organization, nothing will improve.

You are ultimately correct that this Organization's chances for success begins with the Top person in the Organization.

Since Mike's removal of himself from the Top is unlikely in the short term, we are left with hoping to see some signs that he may remove the right combination of Pawns to make things better.

As you say, problems will likely continue, however, a Firing of say the Piano Man would be so out of the Norm that it could tip the scale at least a hair towards being a sign that the guy at the Top recently figured at least one thing out.

We are Grasping at Straws here for the slightest sign of Hope and likely won't get that scale tipped even a little bit.

Yet we keep watching the moves or lack of moves made by the guy at the Top year after year.

What does that say of us ? Mellow
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 12:19 AM)Wyche Wrote: You'll not get me to defend Mikey boys....but all of those calls were on Piano Man....he couldn't get Mathis going....he wanted Blodine, Og, and Fish.  He is the one that continually has a unit that ranks near the bottom in YPC.  I DO blame Son of Paul for not flushing this turd sooner.

This is my stance as well.

There are literally hundreds of O-line coaches that could do a better job than this guy.

Hell, i never played O-line and knew that Mathis was better than Livings.

Just imagine if we drafted Whitehair a few years ago. Or Elflein or one of the top Centers last year, or Bolles last year?

We all know it starts in the trenches and PA is the worst judge of talent ever.

For him to have us trade UP in the 3rd round to get Blodine and then call it a "witch hunt" when he blowz says it all.

This team has all the talent to do well but this guy and Marv are holding this team back.

I am not going into the MB debate anymore, this will not change until he dies and he seems to be a good man at heart.

This is my team and that is not going to change either.

Will not wish death on a man, that is the only thing some are pushing for. Look for solutions that are reality based.

Fire PA, hire a decent O-line coach, let Marv go after the season and start fresh.
Reply/Quote