Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trey Hill - rookie to have the most surprising season?
(06-03-2021, 09:02 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: And his strengths from that same scouting report:

• Has experience at center and guard.
  • Uses mass and girth to his advantage at point of attack.
  • Adequate snap-to-step quickness as lateral blocker.
  • Powerful flipper able to stuff and tee up block for his guard on combos.
  • Generally under control working up to Mike linebackers.
  • Adequate athleticism for a big man getting into space.
  • Sees rush games and makes proper adjustments.
  • Gains depth and changes levels to protect against twists.

Thanks, it is a joke for some people to show one side of their argument and not the other.

He has his problems, has an injury history and is a big man that sometimes struggles with his pad level.

But he also played in the SEC at Georgia against the big nasties and held his own for the most part.

Verstatile, big with quickness, can take on combinations of D-lineman, under control, smart and can protect.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 09:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If he plays this season things have gone terribly wrong. Hopefully Hopkins is ready week one, and if he’s not Price needs to hold it down at center.

Imagine having to rely on Billy Price, and an average center coming off a late season knee injury.

Oh wait, we don’t have to imagine
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 09:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He has his problems, has an injury history and is a big man that sometimes struggles with his pad level.

Trey Hill's 2019 and 2020 tape is night and day. In 2019 he showed good pad level strong hands solid off the snap quickness and agility. Going into this last season he looked like a 3rd round pick that could absolutely climb the boards. As the 2020 season went on he played more and more upright, inconsistent hands, and less and less movement skills then suddenly he shut it down with meniscus tears in both knees.

Will they see the 2019 or the 2020 Trey Hill. I think it's a solid 6th round gamble for a Offensive Line needed team. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 03:14 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Imagine having to rely on Billy Price, and an average center coming off a late season knee injury.

Oh wait, we don’t have to imagine

The opportunity is there for Hill, but even if he does win a starting job I don't expect him to be very good as a rookie.  He has the potential to develop into a good NFL player but probably not as a rookie.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 03:40 PM)Synric Wrote: Trey Hill's 2019 and 2020 tape is night and day. In 2019 he showed good pad level strong hands solid off the snap quickness and agility. Going into this last season he looked like a 3rd round pick that could absolutely climb the boards. As the 2020 season went on he played more and more upright, inconsistent hands, and less and less movement skills then suddenly he shut it down with meniscus tears in both knees.

Will they see the 2019 or the 2020 Trey Hill. I think it's a solid 6th round gamble for a Offensive Line needed team. 

True, we will see if it was the injuries that led to his poor play in 2020. Solid gamble though that is for damn sure in the 6th.

From everything I heard he is 100%.
Reply/Quote
Hill graded near the top in pass blocking - he performed rather poorly in the running game. My gut feeling is we are playing west coast - wide zone, three wr and a heavy dose of Sample. This may play to his strengths. But he is one of those players that is only good for certain teams.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2021, 12:41 AM)willieFANderson Wrote: Hill graded near top in pass blocking - he performed rather poorly in the running game. l graded near the My gut feeling is we are playing west coast - wide zone, three wr and a heavy dose of Sample. This may play to his strengths. But he is one of those players that is only good for certain teams.

Sounds a lot like Hopkins who is a good pass blocker and not a very good run blocker. 

The guy who just happens to be our starter. Hill fits if this is the case.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 05:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You never know Xeno. Hill is pretty battle tested and I didn't expect him to fall as far as he did. Hard Center to move unlike 
Price who just hasn't lived up to any of my expectations. I just want the best players to start, so be it if it is Trey Hill at C.

Price is such a mystery to me.  It isn't just his so-called short arms, but his seemingly slow reactions and tendency to lunge.  He gets bull rushed at times because he is caught too upright.  The guy is absolutely huge, even by our offensive line standards, but I can't help but wonder if some time spent on hip and knee flexibility to help him with his bend and some footwork to get his base set.  Technically speaking, he is just a disaster.  

Has to be one of the bigger whiffs thus far.  I am hoping and praying that somehow Pollack salvages his career and he still becomes a valuable asset.  I know confidence is a big deal for a lot of positions, and I am sure center is no different, but Pollack would have a ton of work to do with Price.  
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 08:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Price is such a mystery to me.  It isn't just his so-called short arms, but his seemingly slow reactions and tendency to lunge.  He gets bull rushed at times because he is caught too upright.  The guy is absolutely huge, even by our offensive line standards, but I can't help but wonder if some time spent on hip and knee flexibility to help him with his bend and some footwork to get his base set.  Technically speaking, he is just a disaster.  

Has to be one of the bigger whiffs thus far.  I am hoping and praying that somehow Pollack salvages his career and he still becomes a valuable asset.  I know confidence is a big deal for a lot of positions, and I am sure center is no different, but Pollack would have a ton of work to do with Price.  

Feel the same about Price, thing is he was good at OSU so there is a chance. I just don't understand him not using his anchor
by staying low, low man wins in this league. Pollack should definitely help him I just don't know how much or if it is enough 
for him to start in case Hopkins isn't ready to go. Looks like Hop is ready to go though from the vids thank God.
Reply/Quote
Pollack had Price developing fairly well before he got derailed in 2018 by injury. Yes he had the comically bad play in the opener but then for the rest of the game he got himself together and was effective. Price's big problem (like a lot of others) was that Turner took over in 19 and all the linemen regressed badly under him.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2021, 12:00 AM)Joelist Wrote: Pollack had Price developing fairly well before he got derailed in 2018 by injury. Yes he had the comically bad play in the opener but then for the rest of the game he got himself together and was effective. Price's big problem (like a lot of others) was that Turner took over in 19 and all the linemen regressed badly under him.

Not really true.  Price was the only OL holdover from '18 that graded worse in '20.  Hart, Hopkins, and Redmond all actually graded better in '20 than they did under Pollack. 

Price had terrible technique in college that some scouts thought were too deeply ingrained to be coached out.  He also supposedly wasn't very coachable.  He's basically a guy that succeeded in college by being bigger and stronger than the guy across from him, but in the NFL where everybody's a monster, he got exposed. 
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2021, 10:28 AM)Whatever Wrote: Not really true.  Price was the only OL holdover from '18 that graded worse in '20.  Hart, Hopkins, and Redmond all actually graded better in '20 than they did under Pollack. 

Price had terrible technique in college that some scouts thought were too deeply ingrained to be coached out.  He also supposedly wasn't very coachable.  He's basically a guy that succeeded in college by being bigger and stronger than the guy across from him, but in the NFL where everybody's a monster, he got exposed. 

Were Hart, Hopkins and Redmond better with another year in the league is my question?

Not as much due to Turner?
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2021, 01:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Were Hart, Hopkins and Redmond better with another year in the league is my question?

Not as much due to Turner?

I think that's probably likely.  I don't personally think Turner was a good coach, although he wasn't exactly given the talent to succeed, either.  I don't think it's really fair to say that most of the guys regressed when the majority of the holdovers improved, even if just through experience and the natural development curve.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2021, 05:24 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think that's probably likely.  I don't personally think Turner was a good coach, although he wasn't exactly given the talent to succeed, either.  I don't think it's really fair to say that most of the guys regressed when the majority of the holdovers improved, even if just through experience and the natural development curve.

Yes, feel the same. We will see how a guy like say Spain improves under Pollack and an entire Offseason.

Last year was rough on everybody even Turner even though he is not a good coach to begin with. Teaching primarily a 2 hand punch
technique is not smart coaching on the OL coach's part. What I have been hearing from the players about Pollack is just refreshing.

These rookies couldn't have a better OL coach to learn from IMO. Carman, D'Ante Smith and Trey Hill could all have good to great 
careers under Pollack. Just hope it is the trenches that have been holding this team back the last couple years and not just Taylor
and Lou. They definitely made an effort to improve the trenches this Offseason, we will see if this leads to lots of wins.

Sure hoping this is the case.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 12:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Last year was rough on everybody even Turner even though he is not a good coach to begin with.

I think the fact he ended up taking a job at Texas State, who has never even played in a bowl game, tells you everything you need to know about his current abilities as a coach.

I honestly don't know what Taylor was thinking when he hired him.  Of course I question a lot of his hires (Cough...Lou Anarumo).

Thank God this clown is gone.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 12:49 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think the fact he ended up taking a job at Texas State, who has never even played in a bowl game, tells you everything you need to know about his current abilities as a coach.

I honestly don't know what Taylor was thinking when he hired him.  Of course I question a lot of his hires (Cough...Lou Anarumo).

Thank God this clown is gone.

They were friends and Turner had NFL experience even if it wasn't good experience. When Pollack left and it was such a short 
Offseason with Taylor coaching in the Superbowl I think there were some hurried hires and Turner and even Lou were 2 of them.

Hope Lou turns it around with the players added, I do like the players and the approach as I was talking to Sunset in the other 
thread. Build your D from the middle out just like the O. You win games in the trenches, we have sucked here the last 3 or so 
years. No wonder we have sucked pretty much everywhere else.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 09:13 AM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Wasn’t impressed with this Trey Hill pick at all.Hope he works out.But,,,as was mentioned earlier,if he ends up starting at some point,then things have unfortunately hit rock bottom.

I know not much people put stock in Uncle Walt over at walterfootball.com, but he thought that Trey Hill could possibly be the best center in the draft.  That is with guys like Landon Dickenson around and most mock drafts pegging Trey as a 4th-5th rounder.  Nice steal IMO.
Reply/Quote