Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Waiver add Position
(09-01-2020, 01:26 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I could see the team claiming Fournette if Marvin and Co. were still here. The team had him as the #1 RB in 2017 and Hobson has written before that the team would've seriously considered him at #9. 

I wouldn't mind having a big banger like Fournette on the team.  Having 2 RB1s on the team really makes a defense respect the run, on every down.  However, I wonder what bringing in a guy like Fournette would do for the Joe Mixon contract extension talks?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I would pick him up. At minimum he helps reduce wear and tear for Mixon and provides injury insurance.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
If they brought Fournette in, neither he nor Mixon would be happy with their number of carries, and Gio would be used even less than he already is. It would devastate the RB room. I see no good in it. Roll with Mixon, Bernard and the French guy.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 10:05 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If they brought Fournette in, neither he nor Mixon would be happy with their number of carries, and Gio would be used even less than he already is. It would devastate the RB room. I see no good in it. Roll with Mixon, Bernard and the French guy.

Remember when the Saints had both Ingram and Kamara?  Was devastating, as teams were forced to respect the run every down, and Brees was able to simply pick secondaries apart.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 10:29 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Remember when the Saints had both Ingram and Kamara?  Was devastating, as teams were forced to respect the run every down, and Brees was able to simply pick secondaries apart.

Remember when we had Hill and the whole "Running Back By Committee" with split carries. Nobody was happy, nobody could get into a rhythm running the ball. It takes the exact right combination of backs to work. I don't see Mixon or Fournette being happy not being the "feature back"
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 10:40 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Remember when we had Hill and the whole "Running Back By Committee" with split carries. Nobody was happy, nobody could get into a rhythm running the ball. It takes the exact right combination of backs to work. I don't see Mixon or Fournette being happy not being the "feature back"

I see a similarity in Fournette and Mixon to Ingram and Kamara.  Fournette being the bigger power back like Ingram, and Mixon being the dynamic, all purpose back, similar to Kamara.  Players that want to win sacrifice personal achievements and accolades for the greater good of the team.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 10:05 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If they brought Fournette in, neither he nor Mixon would be happy with their number of carries, and Gio would be used even less than he already is. It would devastate the RB room. I see no good in it. Roll with Mixon, Bernard and the French guy.

If Joe was healthy and practicing, then you could maybe consider his feelings on the matter.  However, we don't know if he will recover from his migraine issues in time for the season or if they are possibly a sign of something more serious, like CTE.  The team has to cover it's based.  I'm personally more worried about ruining Joe Burrow by sending him out there with no run game than hurting Mixon's feelings.

Here's a couple of quotes as it pertains to Fournette's character, first from him...

''I just want to address a lot of things, especially since the media came out and said I was an angry guy,'' Fournette said. ''Number one, would you be angry if you’re losing week in and week out? That is one of my biggest problems. I do get upset when we lose, and it takes me a while to get over it.''

And from teammate Cam Robinson...

''Everybody on the team wants to win, and when we're not winning I don't know too many people that are walking around in a good mood or happy-go-lucky,'' Offensive tackle Cam Robinson said. ''When we're not winning, I feel like you should be upset, and you should want to fix what's going on when things are not going right. So absolutely, he gets a bad rap.''        

Also, keep in mind that Patrick went through an XFL TC and played 5 games, so he has not had a full off-season to rest and recover.  He also missed practice during the XFL season due to back issues.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 10:52 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I see a similarity in Fournette and Mixon to Ingram and Kamara.  Fournette being the bigger power back like Ingram, and Mixon being the dynamic, all purpose back, similar to Kamara.  Players that want to win sacrifice personal achievements and accolades for the greater good of the team.

I'm thinking more of personality than running styles. And, I'm not saying it won't work, I just saying it could backfire big time and lead to a lot of discontent in that room.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 10:59 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm thinking more of personality than running styles. And, I'm not saying it won't work, I just saying it could backfire big time and lead to a lot of discontent in that room.

There is risk every roster move.

I don't buy the we are not close to a Super Bowl so don't do it. Using that philosophy we make no moves and no moves will not help us win anything.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 12:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There is risk every roster move.

I don;t buy the we are not close to a Super Bowl so don't do it. Using that philosophy we make no moves and no moves will not help us win anything.

Extend Mixon Claim Fournette only use Fournette if Mixon or Gio are hurt problem solved we flip him for a 3rd or 4th compensatory pick. Problem these picks aern't as valuable with less film on all players. So its still probably a hard pass.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 12:08 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Extend Mixon Claim Fournette only use Fournette if Mixon or Gio are hurt problem solved we flip him for a 3rd or 4th compensatory pick. Problem these picks aern't as valuable with less film on all players. So its still probably a hard pass.

And Fournette isn't going to play for free. How much do we pay him to sit behind Mixon and Gio, and can that money be better used elsewhere?
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 12:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There is risk every roster move.

I don't buy the we are not close to a Super Bowl so don't do it. Using that philosophy we make no moves and no moves will not help us win anything.

Very good point.

Fornette > Gio - by miles.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 12:35 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Very good point.

Fornette > Gio - by miles.

One reason that we kept Gio is for his blocking...I don't know how Fournette's blocking is? Any good?

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:51 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: One reason that we kept Gio is for his blocking...I don't know how Fournette's blocking is? Any good?

Honestly, I have no idea. But Fournette wouldn't displace Gio from the roster, just one of the camp guys.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 12:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And Fournette isn't going to play for free. How much do we pay him to sit behind Mixon and Gio, and can that money be better used elsewhere?

The thing is, we don't make him sit behind Mixon and Bernard.  In that situation, we release Bernard, and the salary is just about a push.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Marvin would have himself a hell of a team if he were still a head coach with a way a lot of these head-case type guys are lasting on the market.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 01:05 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Marvin would have himself a hell of a team if he were still a head coach with a way a lot of these head-case type guys are lasting on the market.

Yep, maybe even good enough to melt down and self destruct, after beating up the bullies of the division..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 01:05 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Marvin would have himself a hell of a team if he were still a head coach with a way a lot of these head-case type guys are lasting on the market.

Didn't we win 2 games in 2019?

If you want to take shots at ML, then you must really hate the job ZT did so far if you are being honest. It took a bad team and made it worse.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 08:15 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wouldn't mind having a big banger like Fournette on the team.  Having 2 RB1s on the team really makes a defense respect the run, on every down.  However, I wonder what bringing in a guy like Fournette would do for the Joe Mixon contract extension talks?

Fournette to Bucs, better than to Steelers

Reply/Quote