Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st and Last Mock
It's been awhile since I've put one of these together. I will preface this mock by saying that it really doesn't matter what the Bengals do with Dansby or LaFell. It's pretty much a given that the Bengals will go BPA and stay true to their board.

I will also say that I think most of the true value in this draft is going to be found in the late first and second round, so a trade back would be great, but I'm not building that into the draft.

I used ESPN's scouts inc rankings and kept the players within 5 spots of our picks - so, the #19 prospect would be in play for us in the first round (it's Taylor Decker, so it's not a huge consideration).

Round 1
Vernon Butler, DT - Louisiana Tech. I know, I'm shocked as well. But looking at who would be on the board (Floyd, Doctson, Fuller) and the Bengals penchant for not reaching, I think this is the best fit. With Peko and Sims getting up in years and Thompson coming off an injury, I think this is a great time to add one of the most complete DT in the draft.

Round 2
Braxton Miller, WR - Ohio State. While I think there are WRs that could come in and contribute immediately in the slot at this spot, I think the Bengals fill this spot with Miller. He has tremendous upside and gives the Bengals an explosive weapon once (and if) he fully develops.

Round 3
Deion Jones, LB - LSU. I think this pick is a no-brainer. He immediately fills the coverage LB role that Lamur leaves open. He's the first LB the Bengals have had in quite some time that will be able to lock up RBs and TEs in coverage.

Round 4
Shawn Oakman, DE - Baylor. A pick like this would make most people roll their eyes, but in round 4 his athleticism is a good gamble. It's not like he hasn't produced before, he did have double digit sacks a year ago. I don't see Margus Hunt on the roster after this year, and Oakman is nice piece to work with. He should benefit from MJ and Dunlap.

Round 5
Robert Aguayo, K - Florida State. One of the most reliable kickers in NCAA history. The new rule with touchbacks starting at the 25 this year will encourage more short kickoffs, so his lack of kickoff leg strength won't be an issue.

Round 6
Keyarris Garrett, WR - Tulsa. At this point I'm just looking for high reward type guys. He's one.

Round 7
Erik Striker, LB - OU. Another guy that could fit a need rushing the passer.
Reply/Quote
I like this, I think Striker goes earlier however and possibly Jones as well, but man this would be a haul of a draft
Reply/Quote
I want Aguayo. But coming out of this draft without a DB seems impossible with Leon and Reggie still not on the team.

I don't think we have room for two rookie LBs. Burfict, Maualuga, Dansby, Rey, Dawson is 5 already. Flowers and Hawk 6 and 7. Pretty sure we rolled with 6 last year.
Reply/Quote
Love the Butler pick, this would really help the entire Defense. A good DT next to Geno would be major.

Not as big of a fan of Miller as most. He is really raw and i think we could get a better WR in the 2nd round.

Doubt Deion Jones lasts until the 3rd but would love it.

Oakman in the 4th is a nice fit for us. 4-3 End to a T, a lot like Michael Johnson in lots of ways.

Best kicker in the Draft, like it.

WR with upside, love it.

Doubt Striker lasts until the 7th but i would definately love it if he did. With Deion Jones, Dansby and Striker
we could let Hawk, Flowers and eventually Maualuga go down the road. Lots of competition at LB, happy day.
Reply/Quote
I'm not the biggest Miller fan, but I'd be happy with this draft.

I will say that I wouldn't roll my eyes if we took Oakman in the 3rd or later.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
To be clear, I was pretty surprised with some of the rankings on those players as to where they would land.

I could see Striker being more of a situational pass rusher, not a true linebacker.

As for the DB, I agree, but I didn't see anyone that would be draftable at the spots that I picked.

I'm also not the biggest fan of Miller, but we've been known to take some less than pro-ready WRs in the past.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 03:12 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I want Aguayo. But coming out of this draft without a DB seems impossible with Leon and Reggie still not on the team.

I don't think we have room for two rookie LBs. Burfict, Maualuga, Dansby, Rey, Dawson is 5 already. Flowers and Hawk 6 and 7. Pretty sure we rolled with 6 last year.

I don't see CB/DB as a huge need anymore - would I be shocked with a 1st or 2nd round CB?  No.

However:
PacMan just signed a 3 year deal
Dre
Dennard
Shaw
Lewis-Harris (the team seems to be pretty high on him)

Shawn Williams
Iloka
Deron Smith

I don't think it's a dire need.
Reply/Quote
I'd be happy with this, nicely thought out.

No way Aguayo makes it out of the 4th though. Book it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 11:47 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It's been awhile since I've put one of these together.  I will preface this mock by saying that it really doesn't matter what the Bengals do with Dansby or LaFell.  It's pretty much a given that the Bengals will go BPA and stay true to their board.

I will also say that I think most of the true value in this draft is going to be found in the late first and second round, so a trade back would be great, but I'm not building that into the draft.

I used ESPN's scouts inc rankings and kept the players within 5 spots of our picks - so, the #19 prospect would be in play for us in the first round (it's Taylor Decker, so it's not a huge consideration).

Round 1
Vernon Butler, DT - Louisiana Tech.  I know, I'm shocked as well.  But looking at who would be on the board (Floyd, Doctson, Fuller) and the Bengals penchant for not reaching, I think this is the best fit.  With Peko and Sims getting up in years and Thompson coming off an injury, I think this is a great time to add one of the most complete DT in the draft.

Round 2
Braxton Miller, WR - Ohio State.  While I think there are WRs that could come in and contribute immediately in the slot at this spot, I think the Bengals fill this spot with Miller.  He has tremendous upside and gives the Bengals an explosive weapon once (and if) he fully develops.

Round 3
Deion Jones, LB - LSU.  I think this pick is a no-brainer.  He immediately fills the coverage LB role that Lamur leaves open.  He's the first LB the Bengals have had in quite some time that will be able to lock up RBs and TEs in coverage.

Round 4
Shawn Oakman, DE - Baylor.  A pick like this would make most people roll their eyes, but in round 4 his athleticism is a good gamble.  It's not like he hasn't produced before, he did have double digit sacks a year ago.  I don't see Margus Hunt on the roster after this year, and Oakman is nice piece to work with.  He should benefit from MJ and Dunlap.

Round 5
Robert Aguayo, K - Florida State.  One of the most reliable kickers in NCAA history.  The new rule with touchbacks starting at the 25 this year will encourage more short kickoffs, so his lack of kickoff leg strength won't be an issue.

Round 6
Keyarris Garrett, WR - Tulsa.  At this point I'm just looking for high reward type guys.  He's one.

Round 7
Erik Striker, LB - OU.  Another guy that could fit a need rushing the passer.
I'm a huge fan of all of the picks except Miller (at least in the 2nd).  I'll be ecstatic if Butler is there in the first.  He would really stiffen the interior D Line. 

At this point I think Oakman is underrated.  I looked at some of his film and he is a beast.   With our interior line I think he would be a stud on the edge. I think he'd actually be worth the pick in the 3rd

Though he has a reputation for drops Garrett is an intriguing big guy to add to our crew.  He looks very intimidating on film.

I don't know if they would all be there, but I'd very happy with this draft.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 06:21 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I don't see CB/DB as a huge need anymore - would I be shocked with a 1st or 2nd round CB?  No.

However:
PacMan just signed a 3 year deal
Dre
Dennard
Shaw
Lewis-Harris (the team seems to be pretty high on him)

Shawn Williams
Iloka
Deron Smith

I don't think it's a dire need.

That's only 8. We usually keep at least 10 on the 53. And we can't be too high on Lewis-Harris considering we cut him at one point last year.

Unless they are bringing Mays back to be a safety there is no way they go with only 3. 1-2 UDFAs making it at DB is not something I would be a fan of in todays passing league.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 07:19 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: That's only 8. We usually keep at least 10 on the 53. And we can't be too high on Lewis-Harris considering we cut him at one point last year.

Unless they are bringing Mays back to be a safety there is no way they go with only 3. 1-2 UDFAs making it at DB is not something I would be a fan of in todays passing league.

Completely agree, but I don't think adding DB #9 and DB #10 is going to be a huge priority for this team.
Reply/Quote