Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st round pick Redo-We could have drafted Deshaun Watson & traded Dalton for the moon
The Bengals passed on Deshaun Watson to take John Ross. While Ross should still be nice to have, we may have needed a bolder move.
In hindsight, a better move may have been to take Deshaun Watson and trade Andy Dalton to set up an influx of young talent with extra picks.
Talk all winter was about how valuable a QB like Kirk Cousins would be on the open market.
Dalton may have garnished multiple early round Draft picks in at least 2 Draft years similar to Cousins.
This is a QB driven league in the area of team performance and allocated dollars.
We get control of Deshaun Watson for 5 years at a small salary and begin an influx of young talent with the extra Dalton related Draft picks.
Spending less at the QB position would free up money for 5 years to address issues like the O-line.
Would have had a 22 year old QB in place who is stronger and faster.
I like Dalton and we have been fortunate to at least have him these past years, however, given how the Bengals operate with little Free Agency, they may have to pull a move like this to generate enough high Draft picks to re-establish the roster to 2015 levels.

* Any other 2017 first round pick REDO ideas?      or are people still on Board with the John Ross pick ?
Reply/Quote
Why would we trade for a young QB just to have him get wrecked behind this trash o-line?

I'm still on board with the pick. Not on board with our shit coaching.
Reply/Quote
Watson is not good, this whole narrative that he is good needs to stop. Watch his eyes last night he was unsure of what he was seeing and what he was doing.
Reply/Quote
I didn't see anything from Watson that would make me want to take him that high.

He didn't have that great of a night last night. Other than the long run he was very average.
Reply/Quote
And you are WAY overestimating Dalton's worth. We would have been lucky to get 1 first rounder, probably only a second.
Reply/Quote
I doubt that any team would give up a ton of draft picks for Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 12:28 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: And you are WAY overestimating Dalton's worth.  We would have been lucky to get 1 first rounder, probably only a second.

Sam Bradford garnished a 1st round and 4th round pick when traded to the Vikings and Dalton's value exceeded that last Spring.
Dalton would have been valued at or near Kirk Cousin's value which means at least a 1st rounder one year and a 2nd round pick the following year with maybe a 4th rounder thrown in.
Reply/Quote
I thought Watson did pretty good last night all things considering. Short week on the road, first NFL start, missing half the offense. No he didnt light it up, but he made a big play out of nothing which decided the game ultimately. And made throws on their last drive to keep it going killing the clock, as he was cool under pressure. I think he will end up being a very good QB in the near future like a year or two.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bradford was the 1st overall pick. He's way better than Dalton with natural talent.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 12:22 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Why would we trade for a young QB just to have him get wrecked behind this trash o-line?

I'm still on board with the pick. Not on board with our shit coaching.

We wouldn't have had to trade for Watson. Just take him instead of Ross, then trade Dalton.

You are right about the coaching and I still like Ross.
Reply/Quote
It's all hindsight.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
"Dalton is trash, lets trade him for 50 1st round picks!"

Rolleyes

Even if Dalton was trash, why would someone trade "the moon" for someone you proclaim to be garbage?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 12:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I doubt that any team would give up a ton of draft picks for Dalton.

Not so much now but 6 months ago many still considered him a Top 15 QB and the NFL over values that.
At least 10 teams each year are desperate for an Andy Dalton caliber QB that is less than 30 years old.
We could have got more than one high round Draft pick.
Less now after this 2017 start though.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 12:26 PM)Au165 Wrote: Watson is not good, this whole narrative that he is good needs to stop. Watch his eyes last night he was unsure of what he was seeing and what he was doing.

Of course he doesn't look that good now. He is a Rookie.
All of the Analysts last night say he has a Bright Future, 12th overall pick, he showed Poise in Big games in College with an NFL body.
This is a QB driven league and if Dalton is not the answer we better start getting prospects that might be.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 12:45 PM)Interceptor Wrote: It's all hindsight.

Definitely a Hindsight idea. May take a Bold move to Jump start the depleted Roster.

Do you do something different with that 2017 1st round pick in Hindsight or would you still Roll with John Ross ?
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 12:50 PM)depthchart Wrote: Not so much now but 6 months ago many still considered him a Top 15 QB and the NFL over values that.
At least 10 teams each year are desperate for an Andy Dalton caliber QB that is less than 30 years old.
We could have got more than one high round Draft pick.
Less now after this 2017 start though.

There was a big cap hit with trading him last offseason too.

The Texans may have traded for him. MAYBE Denver. Maybe Washington. I have no idea.

What they'd give up? I don't know.

Top 15 QB doesn't win Super Bowls.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 12:59 PM)depthchart Wrote: Definitely a Hindsight idea. May take a Bold move to Jump start the depleted Roster.

Do you do something different with that 2017 1st round pick in Hindsight or would you still Roll with John Ross ?

Roll with what we got. Every position we are good except for the OL. Same argument when others were screaming we should have drafted Kaepernick instead of Dalton. The thing with Dalton's file when he was drafted was the fact that even though he didn't have a lot of the strengths of the other QBs in his class, he also had none of their weaknesses.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Around one third of the League has trash QBs.
(09-15-2017, 01:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There was a big cap hit with trading him last offseason too.

The Texans may have traded for him. MAYBE Denver. Maybe Washington. I have no idea.

What they'd give up? I don't know.

Top 15 QB doesn't win Super Bowls.

Around one third of the league has trash QBs.
The Jets may have traded for him plus many others.
Bottom line is that Dalton had Kirk Cousins type value a few months ago and all we heard was Kirk Cousins talk last spring.
Andy Dalton on the Open Market back last spring would have been Big News and multiple teams would have been bidding for him.
It would have been a decent haul in Draft picks, get Watson instead of Ross and try to Jump Start the roster over the coming years.

Just a Hindsight idea.  Any others or happy with the John Ross move still ?
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 12:55 PM)depthchart Wrote: Of course he doesn't look that good now. He is a Rookie.
All of the Analysts last night say he has a Bright Future, 12th overall pick, he showed Poise in Big games in College with an NFL body.
This is a QB driven league and if Dalton is not the answer we better start getting prospects that might be.

Dalton's stats his first two games were better and he didn't even have a training camp because of the lockout. As I said, the kid looks like a deer in the head lights when he has to sit back and throw the ball. He can be a rookie, but I have seen rookies look far better in their rookie seasons out of the gate.
Reply/Quote
Mother ****** we could have Tom Brady in his prime and still have zero TDs with the way this team is right now.
Reply/Quote