Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry
Mental errors galore from the offensive line last year.Watched the Bengals vs. Browns game yesterday on NFL replay,and was surprised at how they struggled on blitz pickups and other missed assignments.The blocking actually for the most part appeared to be pretty good.Just to many mental errors.I blame a lot of this on poor coaching.Hopefully it won’t happen as much this year with the new coach.I also believe the new O-line coach has a better line to work with as opposed to last years.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 07:27 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Mental errors galore from the offensive line last year.Watched the Bengals vs. Browns game yesterday on NFL replay,and was surprised at how they struggled on blitz pickups and other missed assignments.The blocking actually for the most part appeared to be pretty good.Just to many mental errors.I blame a lot of this on poor coaching.Hopefully it won’t happen as much this year with the new coach.I also believe the new O-line coach has a better line to work with as opposed to last years.

Yes sir Zeke. Turner was terrible at getting his players ready for blitz pick ups and picking up assignments.

They looked lost out there, unprepared. Pollack should help big time as should bringing in Reiff and bringing back Spain.

The Draft hasn't even started yet and even if we took Chase at 5 we could just load up on OL in this deep class afterwards.

We could pick 3 or 4 O-lineman if we wanted.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 04:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The sad part is they have replaced almost all of the OL from before Taylor and Turner came in.
The only guys who are still here from Marvin's team are Hopkins and Price.

It's going to take multiple years (or many draft picks) to replace the bad starters and depth that this OL has.

Immediate needs:
Starting OG (assuming RG since Spain and XSF are both better and more comfortable at LG)

Nice-to-haves:
Long-term RT to groom behind Reiff
Replace Jordan
Replace Johnson
Replace Price

While I agree with your assessment in a perfect world, we also have a huge need for a starting caliber OT.  Jonah has missed more games than he's played.  You have to at least have a good backup plan for him based on his injury history since he's been here.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 07:27 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Mental errors galore from the offensive line last year.Watched the Bengals vs. Browns game yesterday on NFL replay,and was surprised at how they struggled on blitz pickups and other missed assignments.The blocking actually for the most part appeared to be pretty good.Just to many mental errors.I blame a lot of this on poor coaching.Hopefully it won’t happen as much this year with the new coach.I also believe the new O-line coach has a better line to work with as opposed to last years.

Which of you think about it makes the abrupt improvement when we had both Spain and XSF in at Guard at the same time make sense. Both experienced Guards and neither coached up by Turner. I wonder also if Turner had input into them keeping a back or a TE out next to Hart a lot later in the season or if at that point his input was being disregarded (similar to what happened when Lazor got Piano Man overruled). 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 07:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It doesn't paint an incomplete picture, it's saying a different message.
In a pressure/hurry, Burrow isn't physically getting hit.
With a sack or hit, he is.
You're far more likely to get injured from a hit or sack vs a pressure/hurry.
I say "far more likely" because you could possibly hurt yourself trying to avoid the hit.

As for pass block snap counts, here they are, in order from most to least:
Hopkins - 600
Reiff - 567
Hart - 552
Jordan - 499
Spain - 437
Williams - 429
Johnson - 293
Redmond - 278
Su'a-Filo - 155
Adeniji - 150
Price - 138 (1 sack, not sure on hits)

If you extrapolate the data on a per-pass block snap basis (highest in bold):
Hopkins - 0.00167 hit per snap, same for sack per snap
Reiff - 0.012 hit per snap, 0.00176 sack per snap
Williams - 0.0139 hit per snap, 0.00699 sack per snap
Hart - 0.0145 hit per snap, 0.00725 sack per snap
XSF+Spain (combined 592 pass block snaps) - 0.00844 hit per snap, 0.00337 sack per snap
Jordan - 0.03006 hit per snap, 0.00601 sack per snap
Johnson - 0.01706 hit per snap, 0.006825 sack per snap
Redmond - 0.00719 hit per snap, 0.01079 sack per snap
Adeniji - 0.01333 hit per snap, 0.02667 sack per snap
Price - 0.00725 sack per snap (same as Hart)

So from those calculations, Jordan was the worst when it came to hits (duh), and Adeniji was actually the worst when it came to sacks.
Note that Hart was worse than Williams for both hits and sacks, and Price had the same sack-per-snap as Hart.
Hopkins was the best pass protector when it came to defenders touching the QB.

I did this a few weeks ago.

Hit percentage (percentage of the time you allow the QB to be sacked or hit--lower number is wanted)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hopkins --- .003%
XSF -------- .012%
Price ------- .014%
Spain ------ .015%
Redmond - .017%
J-Will ------ .020%
Hart ------- .021%
Fred ------- .023%
MJ --------- .036%
Hak-Ad --- .040%
**Reiff---- .014%
The average offensive lineman will have a Hit Percentage around .015%

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:14 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: While I agree with your assessment in a perfect world, we also have a huge need for a starting caliber OT.  Jonah has missed more games than he's played.  You have to at least have a good backup plan for him based on his injury history since he's been here.

Yes, so you take two OL: one who can either being swing OT and the other starts at OG, or the OT plays OG for a year and swings outside if an injury occurs.

Scenario A:
Draft OT who can play OG as rookie, then swing out
Draft mid-round (3-5) OG who can take over at OG in a year or two

Scenario B:
Draft an IOL who will start at OG as a rookie
Draft a swing OT who can develop behind Reiff and Jonah for a year before taking over as a starter next year
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote