Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
2/11 Mock no trades and off season assumptions
I had an early urge to reject Latham, I think maybe because I didn't want to spend a first to replace a mediocre Alabama OL with another. But I have gotten to watch a little more, and really warmed up to him being the pick. Then found out he wears a giant TK necklace. TK being what he would like to be known as. "Trench King" would be almost impossible to pass up if he falls to us.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2024, 05:11 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Assumptions
We tag TEE, Hudson and keep Mixon
We sign a FA TE
We don;t sign Williams, Sample
We don;t sign Boyd

18 J.C. Latham OT | Alabama

49 Kalen King CB | Penn State

80 McKinnley Jackson DL | Texas A&M

115 McMillian WR | Washington

147 Jaheim Bell TE | Florida State

174 Jaylan Ford LB | Texas

195 Sataoa Laumea IOL | Utah

234 Brennan Jackson EDGE | Washington State

251 Matthew Hayball P | Vanderbilt

I like it but it scares me in the middle of our defense line. We getting gashed for the first 6 weeks and that’s only if we resign reader
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2024, 08:33 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: I like it but it scares me in the middle of our defense line. We getting gashed for the first 6 weeks and that’s only if we resign reader

My draft for DT is regardless what we do with Reader or a FA, I think we have to draft a DT tackle early even if we resign Reader and/or pick up a FA..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2024, 05:11 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Assumptions
We tag TEE, Hudson and keep Mixon
We sign a FA TE
We don;t sign Williams, Sample
We don;t sign Boyd

18  J.C. Latham OT | Alabama

49 Kalen King CB | Penn State

80 McKinnley Jackson DL | Texas A&M

115 McMillian WR | Washington

147 Jaheim Bell TE | Florida State

174 Jaylan Ford LB | Texas

195 Sataoa Laumea IOL | Utah

234 Brennan Jackson EDGE | Washington State

251 Matthew Hayball P | Vanderbilt

I liked Latham's tape, but I've liked a lot of 'bama OL tape and they all end up busting.  I don't think I'd jump on that grenade in such a loaded class.  

I don't really get King at all.  Not that he's a bad prospect, but the secondary struggled mightily due to inexperience last year.  I don't think adding another highly drafted rookie to the mix will help that.

You lose Williams and don't even draft a RB at all?  This gets compounded by taking an edge rusher that won't even make the 53 in the 7th.

Plus, this is yet another one of those off-season+drafts were you're expecting a Day 3/UDFA WR to start at WR3 and leaves the cubboard bare in '25, when we'll have Chase and nothing but scrubs.  
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 01:35 AM)Whatever Wrote: I liked Latham's tape, but I've liked a lot of 'bama OL tape and they all end up busting.  I don't think I'd jump on that grenade in such a loaded class.  

I don't really get King at all.  Not that he's a bad prospect, but the secondary struggled mightily due to inexperience last year.  I don't think adding another highly drafted rookie to the mix will help that.

You lose Williams and don't even draft a RB at all?  This gets compounded by taking an edge rusher that won't even make the 53 in the 7th.

Plus, this is yet another one of those off-season+drafts were you're expecting a Day 3/UDFA WR to start at WR3 and leaves the cubboard bare in '25, when we'll have Chase and nothing but scrubs.  

Let me try to pack your post

I took King because it setup as BPA ( it was my most conflicted pick for me) round 2 and we could be losing two veterans soon, you can't have too many good young CBS. You are confused, it is Jonah Williams we don;t sign.. so you were confused there. 7th round picks are flyers we all know that.. I liked that flyer.. We tag Tee so we still have him this year and who knows what we do with him but we drafted Jones to replace Boyd , we added a TE in FA and if needed we can go after a starting WR next year with 1/2 pick... so NO the cupboard is not bare....
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2024, 07:04 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Latham just flat out scares me.  Tackles with his weight don't seem to do very well in the NFL.

Gotta agree. Bama tackles overall scare me. Then u couple it with the fact the bengals can’t draft an offensive lineman to save their lives and it really gets murky. I’m almost fully on team sign Trent brown. Someone proven. We can’t draft or develop nobody. Protect burrow has to be number 1
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 07:19 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Let me try to pack your post

I took King because it setup as BPA ( it was my most conflicted pick for me)  round 2 and we could be losing two veterans soon, you can't have too many good young CBS.  You are confused, it is Jonah Williams we don;t sign.. so you were confused there.  7th round picks are flyers we all know that.. I liked that flyer.. We tag Tee so we still have him this year and who knows what we do with him but we drafted Jones to replace Boyd , we added a TE in FA and  if needed we can go after a starting WR next year with 1/2 pick... so NO the cupboard is not bare....

If you are tagging Higgins, then you are in "win now", mode.  If you are in "win now" mode, you don't spend your 2nd round pick on a guy who won't play much, in all likelihood, when you can get an immediate contributer at another position.  "You can't have enough good young CB's", is terrible justification.  You can't have enough good young players at any position. 

You don't mention resigning or replacing Trayveon, so what are folks supposed to think.  Though if you're resigning Williams after his non-existent offensive performances, then there's more than one issue.  

7th round picks are flyers, but you spend the flyer on a guy who actually has a chance to make the 53.  Why draft a guy and bring him through camp just to have him poached off waivers or the PS?

You hypothetically have Higgins for the year, though there is no guarantee he signs the FT, no guarantee he signs before the season starts, and the chances he signs to be here for TC is about nil.  Who knows what kind of shape he turns up in?  4th round picks don't even make it through their rookie deals half the time, much less evolve into week to week starters and you're banking on one that showed absolutely nothing last year filling that role.  
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 12:00 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Gotta agree.  Bama tackles overall scare me.  Then u couple it with the fact the bengals can’t draft an offensive lineman to save their lives and it really gets murky.  I’m almost fully on team sign Trent brown.  Someone proven.  We can’t draft or develop nobody.  Protect burrow has to be number 1

Why do you think that is?  For a while, Bama Tackles seemed to be a gold standard of what a team was getting.  In recent years, they have had as many OL busts as successes, same as other notable teams in CFB.  Do you think that the college game has just evolved to the point where Tackles just don't have to protect for 3-3.5 seconds anymore?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 04:36 PM)Whatever Wrote: If you are tagging Higgins, then you are in "win now", mode.  If you are in "win now" mode, you don't spend your 2nd round pick on a guy who won't play much, in all likelihood, when you can get an immediate contributer at another position.  "You can't have enough good young CB's", is terrible justification.  You can't have enough good young players at any position. 

You don't mention resigning or replacing Trayveon, so what are folks supposed to think.  Though if you're resigning Williams after his non-existent offensive performances, then there's more than one issue.  

7th round picks are flyers, but you spend the flyer on a guy who actually has a chance to make the 53.  Why draft a guy and bring him through camp just to have him poached off waivers or the PS?

You hypothetically have Higgins for the year, though there is no guarantee he signs the FT, no guarantee he signs before the season starts, and the chances he signs to be here for TC is about nil.  Who knows what kind of shape he turns up in?  4th round picks don't even make it through their rookie deals half the time, much less evolve into week to week starters and you're banking on one that showed absolutely nothing last year filling that role.  
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 08:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why do you think that is?  For a while, Bama Tackles seemed to be a gold standard of what a team was getting.  In recent years, they have had as many OL busts as successes, same as other notable teams in CFB.  Do you think that the college game has just evolved to the point where Tackles just don't have to protect for 3-3.5 seconds anymore?

That and also I think it's possible that recruits/players are just not on the same level as some of those other players from before too.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 04:36 PM)Whatever Wrote: If you are tagging Higgins, then you are in "win now", mode.  If you are in "win now" mode, you don't spend your 2nd round pick on a guy who won't play much, in all likelihood, when you can get an immediate contributer at another position.  "You can't have enough good young CB's", is terrible justification.  You can't have enough good young players at any position. 

You are on a bender my man  come off the ledge, if you did not know I meant Jonah why go on about a non important player like Trayeon.. so you assume a tag of Tee means we are in win mode only?? Come on now why short side the reat of team...and yes in the league now CBs are one of most important positions and we have two vets are could be gone in next year ot two... please tell me last 7th  round puck that made a real impact....relax a bit and put your draft and player moves up there ...lol
Reply/Quote
Man.... we need Jaheim Bell on this team. He'd be the perfect TE/Widget player for us. Part TE part RB part WR. Like a big Debo. Played hurt all year too
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 11:35 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Man.... we need Jaheim Bell on this team.  He'd be the perfect TE/Widget player for us.  Part TE part RB part WR.  Like a big Debo.  Played hurt all year too

Could be a intriguing pick on 3rd day.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 09:56 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You are on a bender my man  come off the ledge, if you did not know I meant Jonah why go on about a non important player like Trayeon.. so you assume a tag of Tee means we are in win mode only?? Come on now why short side the reat of team...and yes in the league now CBs are one of most important positions and we have two vets are could be gone in next year ot two... please tell me last 7th  round puck that made a real impact....relax a bit and put your draft and player moves up there ...lol

*Shrugs*. I have no idea why you're still going on about Jonah.  I said you lost Williams and didn't draft a RB.  Most folks with basic roster knowledge and reasoning skills can figure out I was referring to Trayveon, not Jonah.  

You FT a guy for two reasons.  One: You're in win now mode and need them back for one final push.  Two: Their production will be so difficult to replace that you need to get a highly drafted player a year in your system to replace them.  You didn't draft a WR til Day 3, so you're obviously not thinking option two, so anyone looking at this will automatically assume it's one.  A WR here actually covers both, because we need one to start immediately, anyways.  If you're not drafting a WR here, then it needs to be someone that's going to start or play a bunch of snaps.  

You're not likely going to get an impact player in the 7th.  What you're looking for are the Marcus Bailey's, Auden Tate's, and Clayton Fejedum's.  Guys that can give you years of decent depth on the cheap.  You don't get that when the guy walks into camp drawing dead on making the roster.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 08:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why do you think that is?  For a while, Bama Tackles seemed to be a gold standard of what a team was getting.  In recent years, they have had as many OL busts as successes, same as other notable teams in CFB.  Do you think that the college game has just evolved to the point where Tackles just don't have to protect for 3-3.5 seconds anymore?

I think it’s a number of things going all the way back where football begins with the youth…. There’s a massive lack of offensive lineman today coupled with way offensive lineman are being coached, and I think that directly plays a result in all of this … because of so many things, the spread offense, junior high, high school level, 7-on-7 being more prominent than actual tackle football at a lot of youth levels. That's had an effect and impact trickling up, and I think offensive line play, because of the cut down of offseason programs and hitting, has also suffered due to that, which has obviously played a role in offensive production, running the football, the passing game. It’s hard to hit on olineman today. Especially if your in the bengals scouting department. Then again tho Seattle just hit on Lucas and cross in the same damn draft. Those two guys are bookends.
Reply/Quote