2/16 Mock
1 Joe Burrow, QB LSU

33 Kenneth Murray, LB Oklahoma

65 Isaiah Wilson, OT Georgia

97 Shane Lemieux, IOL Oregon

129 Michael Pittman Jr., WR USC

160 Jordan Fuller, S Ohio State

192 Levonta Taylor, CB Florida State

Not wanting to predict any trades that haven't actually happened yet, I rolled with what we currently have for picks. Was tough for me to pass on Delpit at 33, but Murray could/should be the face of our defense for the next 8-12 years.

I like Wilson and Lemieux to add power and energy to the Right side of the OL. I feel like Pittman is a steal in the 5th, and Fuller and Taylor will push for roster spots and give a huge boost to Special Teams.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Love it. Obviously a great 1st round pick. Murray would be awesome in the 2nd Round. He’s the type of defensive leader we’ve been lacking. I’m a huge fan of Isaiah Wilson. I love his size and physical play. Plus he’s still somewhat raw too so I think he’ll only get better. Pairing him with Jonah would hopefully have us set at tackle for a long time. Would be happy with Lemieux but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bengals went with Throckmorton in that spot. Reports seem to indicate they are pretty high on him. Overall great draft. Fills a lot of needs!
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2020, 01:38 PM)WhoDeyK Wrote: Love it. Obviously a great 1st round pick. Murray would be awesome in the 2nd Round. He’s the type of defensive leader we’ve been lacking. I’m a huge fan of Isaiah Wilson. I love his size and physical play. Plus he’s still somewhat raw too so I think he’ll only get better. Pairing him with Jonah would hopefully have us set at tackle for a long time. Would be happy with Lemieux but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bengals went with Throckmorton in that spot. Reports seem to indicate they are pretty high on him. Overall great draft. Fills a lot of needs!

I agree that the Bengals might be liking Throckmorton, as they spent a week with him at the Senior Bowl.  As a LG or backup/swing Tackle prospect, I think that he would be fine.  Something tells me that the Bengals have Mike Jordan penciled in at LG, and Fred Johnson penciled in at backup/swing Tackle.  

However for RG, I want the man with some of the most powerful hands in the draft, the man who's going to win those "phone booth" battles, the guy who plays all the way through the whistle.  It really was a tossup for me in the 4th as both Lemieux and Tyler Biadasz were available.  I looked long and hard at both of their scouting reports on TDN, before deciding that Lemieux was indeed the perfect RG candidate, with thoughts of pairing with Wilson at eventual RT.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Don’t see Murray lasting to the second seeing the weak LB class this year. He’ll probably go in the mid 1st I’m guessing. I’m thinking WR in second.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2020, 10:14 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Don’t see Murray lasting to the second seeing the weak LB class this year. He’ll probably go in the mid 1st I’m guessing. I’m thinking WR in second.

That may be the case, and maybe not.  I, along with many others on here use TDN's predictive board for our mocks.  In recent weeks, many of us have been surprised to see both Murray and Delpit sitting there at 33.  The board isn't the same every day, but if Murray is there at 33, I just feel like it's a no brainer to take him.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2020, 11:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That may be the case, and maybe not.  I, along with many others on here use TDN's predictive board for our mocks.  In recent weeks, many of us have been surprised to see both Murray and Delpit sitting there at 33.  The board isn't the same every day, but if Murray is there at 33, I just feel like it's a no brainer to take him.

I get it. I think the draft combine will really start to give us a better idea. I think teams are a bit worried about his injuries. Once that gets vetted and they see his athleticism, things will be clearer. Just see him and Isiah as the best two LBs and have a hard time seeing him last that long. I do hope I’m wrong, that’ll be a good thing
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2020, 10:14 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Don’t see Murray lasting to the second seeing the weak LB class this year. He’ll probably go in the mid 1st I’m guessing. I’m thinking WR in second.

This is the eternal struggle of mocks because people are always sitting there at the top of the 1st that NO ONE would have predicted. When I look at published mock drafts I always like to note who hasn't been picked yet after the 1st. The WR class is definitely the key to who is there at the top of the 1st.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2020, 11:07 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 1 Joe Burrow, QB LSU

Not wanting to predict any trades that haven't actually happened yet, I rolled with what we currently have for picks.  Was tough for me to pass on Delpit at 33, but Murray could/should be the face of our defense for the next 8-12 years.

I like Wilson and Lemieux to add power and energy to the Right side of the OL.  I feel like Pittman is a steal in the 5th, and Fuller and Taylor will push for roster spots and give a huge boost to Special Teams.

Like it overall, especially the later rounds...some talent there.  I can't help but think there will be a HUGE run on OTs due to the minimal FA available and the seemingly deep dearth of talent in the league at OT.  I definitely see the Bengals taking a mauler to play RG as Miller is in the last year of his deal and if they find a real gem, he could become trade bait/cut because they already have Price as a backup.  

My dream would be that Price comes in 100% healthy and lights it up and steals the RG position from Miller, but I just think Price is not a talented player.  I'm sure all the injuries have hampered his performance, but he just looks like a massive bust.  Thank God for Hopkins, or that bust would have felt even more than the Og and Fisher busts with no center on the team.  

Your draft addressed several huge issues: speed and range at LB, beef on the offensive line, and a talented playmaker at safety.  Fuller has great ball skills but is not a great tackler.  I would take a playmaking safety to pair with Bates and have some more INTs over Williams, who is questionable at both.  
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2020, 04:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree that the Bengals might be liking Throckmorton, as they spent a week with him at the Senior Bowl.  As a LG or backup/swing Tackle prospect, I think that he would be fine.  Something tells me that the Bengals have Mike Jordan penciled in at LG, and Fred Johnson penciled in at backup/swing Tackle.  

However for RG, I want the man with some of the most powerful hands in the draft, the man who's going to win those "phone booth" battles, the guy who plays all the way through the whistle.  It really was a tossup for me in the 4th as both Lemieux and Tyler Biadasz were available.  I looked long and hard at both of their scouting reports on TDN, before deciding that Lemieux was indeed the perfect RG candidate, with thoughts of pairing with Wilson at eventual RT.

I like your thinking. I am totally on board with getting some physical offensive lineman who can control the line of scrimmage and win the one on one battles. I honestly don’t know if we currently have anyone on the line who can do that (maybe Jonah Williams but who knows). In my mind, I always view the RG spot as a more physical bruiser run blocking type. Vs LG being more pass protecting finesse but honestly things seem mostly interchangeable anymore. Sounds like you couldn’t go wrong either way in that scenario though, as the reports on Lemieux are pretty good and the Badgers seem to always produce great Lineman. I am curious though how Biadasz would project to guard instead of center. I’m always leery of position changes.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2020, 11:07 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 1 Joe Burrow, QB LSU

Not wanting to predict any trades that haven't actually happened yet, I rolled with what we currently have for picks.  Was tough for me to pass on Delpit at 33, but Murray could/should be the face of our defense for the next 8-12 years.

I like Wilson and Lemieux to add power and energy to the Right side of the OL.  I feel like Pittman is a steal in the 5th, and Fuller and Taylor will push for roster spots and give a huge boost to Special Teams.

I like it. Love the first 5 for sure. Was reading up about Lemieux and Pittman over the weekend.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 02:38 PM)WhoDeyK Wrote: I like your thinking. I am totally on board with getting some physical offensive lineman who can control the line of scrimmage and win the one on one battles. I honestly don’t know if we currently have anyone on the line who can do that (maybe Jonah Williams but who knows). In my mind, I always view the RG spot as a more physical bruiser run blocking type. Vs LG being more pass protecting finesse but honestly things seem mostly interchangeable anymore. Sounds like you couldn’t go wrong either way in that scenario though, as the reports on Lemieux are pretty good and the Badgers seem to always produce great Lineman. I am curious though how Biadasz would project to guard instead of center. I’m always leery of position changes.

Personally, I just feel like being able to successfully run between the Tackles, with regularity, gives a good QB almost an unfair advantage in today's game.  Being able to line up and sneak or hand the ball off with confidence, on 3rd or 4th and short can break the spirit of a lot of defenses.  When you can run effectively, everything else just works so much easier.  2nd or 3rd and medium aren't automatic passing downs, the PA pass has defenders truly biting on the fake, etc.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 10:10 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I get it. I think the draft combine will really start to give us a better idea. I think teams are a bit worried about his injuries. Once that gets vetted and they see his athleticism, things will be clearer. Just see him and Isiah as the best two LBs and have a hard time seeing him last that long. I do hope I’m wrong, that’ll be a good thing

Maybe, but I believe that the combine is vastly overrated, in terms of "discovering" hidden talents.  Yet every year it seems that some players "shoot up the draft boards" after running a fast 40, or some such.  When a guy that was marginal get's a big boost from a combine performance, I think people should step back, look at his games, and ask why that speed (or other measurable trait) didn't help said player to be a stud in college ball.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 07:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Maybe, but I believe that the combine is vastly overrated, in terms of "discovering" hidden talents.  Yet every year it seems that some players "shoot up the draft boards" after running a fast 40, or some such.  When a guy that was marginal get's a big boost from a combine performance, I think people should step back, look at his games, and ask why that speed (or other measurable trait) didn't help said player to be a stud in college ball.

I think a lot of the scouts know this. It's why someone on Kipers board sits there undrafted for a couple rounds. He falls in love and over rates them a lot.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 08:57 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I think a lot of the scouts know this. It's why someone on Kipers board sits there undrafted for a couple rounds. He falls in love and over rates them a lot.

Mel:  Nevermind the so-called "red flags".  Who cares if this guy is small, frail, and can't memorize a phone number, let alone a playbook.  A sub 4.3 forty time is something that can't be coached.  Whoever takes this diminutive receiver will be adding a future perennial All-Pro to their roster..   Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Very solid first five rounds.

Franchise QB of the offense.
Potential franchise QB of the defense.
Two starting caliber OL.
Underrated WR2 from a program who has consistently produced good WR2s the past decade.

I'm not too familiar with the DBs you picked but it's Rds 6 and 7, and those guys rarely make an impact outside of ST.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote